Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Savage KLYM

New Savage KLYM

Anybody laid hands on the new Savage KLYM yet?
    Any idea of actual street pricing?
    Looks like a really slick lightweight and I cant wait to handle one.
    https://www.savagearms.com/content?p...ummary&s=58097
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Banned
    Personally, If I was going for ultra light, I’d just get a cheaper 110 & stick it in an MDT HNT26 CF chassis. End up around the same weight & have a better stock, while saving $600-$800 in the process. Then just wait until a new change is needed & if absolutely wanted, go with a Carbon Fiber barrel then. Although I’ve never been sold on CF barrels. It’s more cost effective to simply do a thinner profile. Same weight savings with nothing lost.

HA! It even has a CF Bolt Knob! LOL! I’ve thought of making those.

Basic Member
    I looked up the company that makes those stocks, nothing for savage listed on their site

Yeah cutting weight in itself can be accomplished through multiple methods.
    Cutting weight and keeping things balanced and feeling right is a little different.
    Heck I chopped a sporter down to 16" barrel length and cut the length of pull down to 12" and like the way it feels and its super handy.
    It's one of my favorite builds but one of these new carbon fiber 110s it aint.

I just want to handle one of these and give it the once over, check out the feel and balance. It would also be nice to shoot one but probably a real slim chance of that.
    I love the look of the stock with the ambidextrous thumbhole. That grip looks like it offers control and possibly some recoil reduction between the rifle and the shoulder.
    I like the look and really like the lines lines a whole lot better than the "Robo rifle" looking chassis guns.
    Maybe not as modular or adjustable as a Robo chassis rifle but...
    I think that KLYM rifle is "OOH LA LA".
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Team Savage
    I've seen the promo videos and it looks like Savage is riding the carbon fiber wave with both turn and straight bolt rifles.
    I tried to find an American manufacturer to make me a CF stock for one of my Impulse Predators, but none would take the job and it's a real shame that an American rifle manufacturer has to use a stock maker from overseas.
    I've been waiting for a Raven CF stock for my Blaser R8 to arrive, so my Impulse predators will just have to wait awhile to make them more svelte.

SJC

I will probably see it in February at the Harrisburg Outdoor Expo. Savage always has a huge setup there with just about every gun they offer,
    Sure it’ll have a stout price tag.

Basic Member
    Hopefully with the introduction of a new model rifle Savage has addressed the long standing issues surrounding magazines, bolt lift, and extraction/ejection functionalities. Personally would like to see the need for bolt lift and extraction/ejection kits go away.

Banned
    Sorry to bare bad news, but unfortunately it’s using the same 110 Action which has been with us for a long time. Factory mag troubles, heavy bolt lift & all.

I don’t mind as I’m a DIY’er. So improvement is fun. However I know many simply wish to get in & go.

Team Savage
    I read/saw somewhere that Savage redesigned the bolt with dual ejectors and a claw type extractor for the KLYM 110, but can't find where I read/saw it.
    Do they expect someone to pay $2.5k for a rifle you'll need to upgrade out of the box ?
    At least the Impulse model won't have those issues.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shoots100 View Post
    I read/saw somewhere that Savage redesigned the bolt with dual ejectors and a claw type extractor for the KLYM 110, but can't find where I read/saw it.
    Do they expect someone to pay $2.5k for a rifle you'll need to upgrade out of the box ?
    At least the Impulse model won't have those issues.
    " Do they expect someone to pay $2.5K for a rifle you`ll need to upgrade out of the box? " Precisely. That`s absurd IMHO. No thanks for sure.

Basic Member
    Overall i like the 5.9 LBS, the aesthetics of the new bolt and the possibility that it might be less grabby than the fluting of the Lightweight hunter, and Ultralites i have. I don't know anything about the stock, but it looks like it will be more rigid than the current stocks, and that is a good thing. The Proof Carbon barrels are just a winner. I have them on my 3 Ultralites, my Proof Elevation and two custom rifles. They are just as accurate as my Shilen Select Match barrels and half of the weight.
    BUT... That kind of pricing is really insane. I paid less than that MSRP by hundreds for my Proof Research Elevation, and it has the same Proof Research Carbon Barrels, and a carbon fiber stock, and a Zermat Origin action.

Banned
    Indeed! $2500+ buys one of many higher end hunting rifles. Or, a custom could be built with Titanium Action & Proof barrel.

For $1000 less, a Sako of similar appearance can be purchased. Which is believe is what Savage is trying to emulate & hoping the Proof barrel is enough to sway people. I’m skeptical.

Attachment 10149

Now, I’m not a huge fan of Sako rifles, but I do know of their exquisite feel & function. Coupled with it being a third less the price of the Savage and the choice is weighed heavily in its favor. I love Savage rifles. But my fondness lies in the Action & being able to easily build as I desire, with the components I choose. The performance aspect to me, is equal to the joy I’m given in building/tinkering with & such. Even with my fondness for the Savage Action, spending $2500 on a rifle I didn’t build won’t happen. But, that’s just me.

I’m Sure Savage has heard people are buying Ultralites at that cost and still spending more on a better stock for it. I’m very glad to see the diamond fluted bolt body. Looks like it shouldn’t grab like the spiral fluted one.

Me personally, I don’t really care for a thumbhole stock with the Savage tang safety for hunting situations where a quick shot may be needed. Not everyone hunts in $3000 box blinds …lol

Basic Member
    I think a conversation with the head of marketing for Savage concerning the rationale behind offering this model (and the pricing ) would be REAL interesting. Just one guy`s opinion, and then I`ll shut up about it, but I wish they`d sunk the product development costs for this gun into engineering/ functionality improvements for the models they ALREADY produce instead.

Maybe at the February outdoor show I will throw some info/complaints at the Savage rep and see if he takes that info back to Savage. Although it’s not like they don’t already know.

Maybe I will make a post and people can add their complaints and I can make a list and hand it to him.

But they keep making money and adding new rifles makes it flashy and appealing. For the general public they don’t wanna hear that they’re selling the same old rifles but they’ve updated and fixed some long overdue issues.

Or I can not say anything, enjoy my day, and keep on buying them and working on them like I like to do. Like Dave, I’m a tinkerer and can’t leave anything alone for long, and building them is almost as much fun as shooting them.

I doubt we'll see these shipping to dealers before the first of the year - more than likely it will be April/May before they hit dealers and I'm betting most won't even stock them at that price so you'd be looking at having a dealer order one in sight unseen. Definitely won't be a high volume production model at that price either. Maybe 500-1000 units at most is my guess, especially since they're outsourcing the stock and we all know how slow stock makers tend to be when it comes to hand-laid stocks.

Personally I'd rather just buy another 110 Lightweight Storm that 's lighter and is $1,800 cheaper.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdog06 View Post
    Maybe at the February outdoor show I will throw some info/complaints at the Savage rep and see if he takes that info back to Savage. Although it’s not like they don’t already know.

Maybe I will make a post and people can add their complaints and I can make a list and hand it to him.

But they keep making money and adding new rifles makes it flashy and appealing. For the general public they don’t wanna hear that they’re selling the same old rifles but they’ve updated and fixed some long overdue issues.

Or I can not say anything, enjoy my day, and keep on buying them and working on them like I like to do. Like Dave, I’m a tinkerer and can’t leave anything alone for long, and building them is almost as much fun as shooting them.
    LOL, maybe you`d consider passing on those complaints/suggestions as a gesture of kindness to all of us Savage fans who are mechanically challenged to whatever degree (?)! Unfortunately, there are those of us that lack the equipment, know how,and/ or the guts ( I got it apart, now how the hell do it get back together again so that it works? ) to do much, if any, tinkering!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkeytider View Post
    LOL, maybe you`d consider passing on those complaints/suggestions as a gesture of kindness to all of us Savage fans who are mechanically challenged to whatever degree (?)! Unfortunately, there are those of us that lack the equipment, know how,and/ or the guts ( I got it apart, now how the hell do it get back together again so that it works? ) to do much, if any, tinkering!
    It comes down to understanding one’s own limitations. Those of us who build, fix & tinker, didn’t start out last week…or even a year ago. I’m 45 and I’ve been tinkering/upgrading firearms for over 20 years. I built my first firearm in 2005. For anyone looking for a built Savage and you don’t want to go to a gunsmith, look for a home builder in your area and ask! But don’t expect Savage to do anything for you!. Given some of the things they’ve done in the last few years, while continuing to ignore the same old problems for the last 60 years makes me think they lose their minds by working there.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    It comes down to understanding one’s own limitations. Those of us who build, fix & tinker, didn’t start out last week…or even a year ago. I’m 45 and I’ve been tinkering/upgrading firearms for over 20 years. I built my first firearm in 2005. For anyone looking for a built Savage and you don’t want to go to a gunsmith, look for a home builder in your area and ask! But don’t expect Savage to do anything for you!. Given some of the things they’ve done in the last few years, while continuing to ignore the same old problems for the last 60 years makes me think they lose their minds by working there.
    Thanks Dave. Being 75, I have a pretty good bead on those personal limitations! I actually have done some minor work on some of my shotguns, but nothing that required equipment any more sophisticated than a screwdriver and a pair of pliers.
    Anything at all approaching even somewhat complex would go to a smith.
    That`s a sad commentary you make concerning Savage`s lack of responsiveness to its customers. Something we`ve discussed before. It may truly catch up with them some time in the future.

Team Savage
    If Savage redesigned the 110 KLYM bolt and magazine to extract, eject and feed reliably, it would be worth the cost.
    If not, there are tested lightweight turn bolt rifles out there for the same price or cheaper ready to go out of the box.
    I've built enhanced 110 lightweight stainless/carbon fiber rig's to almost the same specs for under $2k that I guarantee to be fully operational.
    The Impulse KYLM is a different story, as the closest factory straight pull rifle with all of those features, but without the ability to swap the bolt handle for left hand use is $10k+.
    The bare bones piecemealed Blaser R8 professional I put together with a Raven CF stock is $5k.
    Add another $2k for a CF barrel.

SJC

Banned
    Good post. (Except about the Impulse. I’m not a fan. I think straight pulls are an answer to a question that Nobody asked! I’m still trying to figure out what exactly it is they do better But that’s just me & I digress.)

Jim said it perfectly. You want/need a lightweight rig, grab a 110 Lightweight Storm. It’s like 6.5oz lighter than this KLYM & you’ll save yourself $1800 bucks! You like the stock? Take some of that saved $1800 & get a similar one. Then just plan on getting a Proof CF when you do a rebarrrel.

Basic Member
    What the heck is Savage thinking? Only a die hard Savage fan or an idiot would pay $2k+ for a Savage action rifle. There are dozen's of Custom rifle's that can be had for that price, and they have non of the problems that a Savage action gives you out of the box.

Basic Member
    I consider straight pulls like lever actions. When you can't have (or don't want) a semi-auto but you still want a 'fast' action.

They were popular in Germany when I was stationed there. I figured it had something to do with their rules. I know the hunter qualification course included some fairly fast moving targets.

Savage has survived a long time even while shooting themselves in the foot. I don't understand their reasoning, but, maybe someone does. FWIW, if I look at gun shelves I'll see 10 or 20 of the lower end Savages and every now and then I'll see on of the more expensive, usually one of the chassis guns. I suspect for every 1000 Axis they sell they will sell one KLYM.

After spending the money for the BVSS I know I won't do that again.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
    What the heck is Savage thinking? Only a die hard Savage fan or an idiot would pay $2k+ for a Savage action rifle. There are dozen's of Custom rifle's that can be had for that price, and they have non of the problems that a Savage action gives you out of the box.
    FWIW, because of the good experience that I`ve had with my 110 Storm in .223 (once I worked through some magazine/feeding issues. Must be a right of passage for anyone buying a Savage rifle) and 93R17, I went ahead and purchased a Model 12 LRPV for my first range gun. It`s a well made, accurate shooter IMO. I paid $1,400 for that gun brand new. I wouldn`t pay a penny more than that for a Savage rifle, and I`m pretty sure I wouldn`t have to hunt very hard to find folks who would say I was nuts to pay that for ANY Savage rifle. If I`m going to spend 2K+ for a rifle, there are just too many better options out there.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post

Ok, Maybe let’s ease up a bit. We don’t need to refer to people with disparaging comments because of their choices. While I do think it’s a waste of money, I’m not going to call someone an idiot for their decision. Granted, I also believe spending several thousand $$ on Glass is wasteful as well. Spending $3K, $4K or even $5K or more, does nothing to improve accuracy over an already working optic. However, I’m not going to call someone a name for their choice in buying whatever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast