Thread: Is this a 1895 savage lever action?

Is this a 1895 savage lever action?

So I accidentally bought a savage rifle. After some web searching I think I have a 1895 chambered in 303 savage. The serial number is 71xx. It has the hole in the top of the bolt that shows safe or cooked. The furniture isn't the best. Has had the forearm repaired, some missing bits and a couple cracks. It needs a good cleaning and the furniture stabilized. The bore looks great in my rank amature opinion, especially considering how the wood looks. Looking for verification and ideas on the stock and forearm. Thanks in advance. And I'll post pics as soon as I figure out how.

I was just reading the "how to post a picture" thread and I don't have that skill set. That's a bummer since I wanted to show you guys this rifle. Might have to track down a 12 year old to help. Sorry.

Banned
    Use this 3rd party pic hosting. It’s very easy. No sign up or email. Just upload your pics then click the picture & Copy the BBCode link from those listed. Finally Post the link right here in the thread. In a post. It will post as a link, but show up as the full picture. https://imgbb.com/

If your still having trouble you can email me the pics & I’ll gladly post them for you. davidhoback1@Gmail.com

Basic Member
    With the hole in the bolt, sure sounds like an 1895! Here's a link toa buch of 1895 pictures, maybe that will help you ID it! 1895 savage - Search Images (bing.com)

Banned
    I agree. If it has that hole to peep through showing S (Safe) or C (Cocked), I would agree it’s a true 1895. Pretty cool.

Here is a video tutorial of full disassembly/assembly of an 1899. While they are not exact, they are quite similar. Long video & has a good bit of info.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIIzXJFwPSY

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    I agree. If it has that hole to peep through showing S (Safe) or C (Cocked), I would agree it’s a true 1895. Pretty cool.

Here is a video tutorial of full disassembly/assembly of an 1899. While they are not exact, they are quite similar. Long video & has a good bit of info.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIIzXJFwPSY
    I emailed you some pictures Dave. I appreciate you offering to post them. Let me know if you get them. Thanks

Banned
    Here are the pictures from our new member. I’ll say indeed you have yourself a true 1895. Bit rough on the edges, but rare a more rare piece. Great pics my friend.

Banned
    You can go a couple different routes. If you simply want it to be nice I’m sure you can purchase new hardwood furniture & stock. If you wish to keep the original wood, there is a technique in using epoxy mixed with sawdust. Sand down & clean the wood then fill the voids & cracks with the sawdust/epoxy mix. Let it cure & sand flat. Then refinish to your liking. The metal has normal age rust & pitting. 0000 steel wool & oil will take care of the rust, while preserving the little bluing still there & the natural patina that has formed over the years. But personally, I would strip it down to parts to a complete strip of rust/tarnish/old bluing (what little is left). Then I would re-blue it myself.

Thanks for posting the pics Dave. My number one goal is to not hurt the value of the rifle or do it any more harm. The value is really not important but when I'm gone nobody needs to say "who did that?" The forearm throws me off the most. It already has a ugly repair in my opinion, and it's already broken. I've got a master wood worker buddy that said to mail it to him and he would fix it up. Strip, repair and make pretty again but then it wouldn't match the rest unless I re-blued it or had it done. Maybe the cure is to send the wood to my buddy, have him tune it up but not make her look like the prettiest girl at the dance. Have someone break it down and clean 100 plus years of abuse off it and call it a day. Maybe see if she'll eat some rounds first? I don't know. My intention was always to buy a 99 and shoot it and have fun. Then I found this and couldn't believe I got it bought with one bid. The last bid! On a side note I like the thought of it being rare. 5-7000 production from what I have read. That is also the thing that gives me the great pause when it comes to my next steps. Again, thanks for posting the pics. I look forward to reading the comments.
    "

Banned
    As long as the barrel is sound, and there are no cracks, it’s fine to shoot. The pictures look fine to me. It’s chambered for 303 Savage which is not a high pressure round. However, it is 303 Savage, which is an obsolete cartridge. Buying new loaded ammunition is a thing of the past. Do you currently reload? You’ll need dies, which are available. And new brass can still be found as well. Although it can be reformed easy from several readily available options.

Edit:
    According your serial number, it was made between 1896-1897.

I don't reload but I've found some reloaded ammo on the web and I watch the local ammo auctions. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna send the wood to my buddy and have him do the best he can. Looks to me like it's already been messed with once before so messing with it again can't hurt. Probably have it professionally cleaned and run some rounds through it. Would it be worthwhile to send off for one of those letters from the Cody museum? I'll probably do that to just for fun.

Banned
    You can if you want. Understand it’s a Savage; while more rare than the Model 99’s, it’s not exactly a Diamond in the rough. And obviously, condition plays a big part in value.