In this part of Texas, we have a 4-day stretch where we can take does. Didn't feel up to it the first three-and-a-half days, but this evening, I took advantage of the opportunity and bagged a nice one.

I was actually reaching for the .300 Savage when something told me to pick the 24" 6.5mm Bullberry instead. I hadn't shot the Bullberry since I swapped out scopes a few months ago while the .300 Savage has seen a bit of action with hogs and 'yotes.

Anyway, this was one of the easiest shots I have ever had. I don't care for head or neck shots and almost never take them, but the doe was well inside of 100 yards and perfectly still. After calming my nerves for a few seconds, the dot of the Noblex 2.5-10x50 steadied on the center of the throat patch...and I touched off a round. The 120 grain Ballistic Tip, which leaves the barrel at just over 2600 fps, flew true and resulted in the deer making a back flip with a rather hard landing.

Because the neck was absolutely limp, I couldn't do much in the way of posing the deer for the photo. Thus, the results don't show her true size. My Moultrie scale's needle broke a while back, so this one did not get weighed. But she was plump and healthy -- and our son Andy struggled as he played retriever in getting the doe back to the house.