Thread: 6.5 Bullberry scores this evening

Team Savage

6.5 Bullberry scores this evening

In this part of Texas, we have a 4-day stretch where we can take does. Didn't feel up to it the first three-and-a-half days, but this evening, I took advantage of the opportunity and bagged a nice one.

I was actually reaching for the .300 Savage when something told me to pick the 24" 6.5mm Bullberry instead. I hadn't shot the Bullberry since I swapped out scopes a few months ago while the .300 Savage has seen a bit of action with hogs and 'yotes.

Anyway, this was one of the easiest shots I have ever had. I don't care for head or neck shots and almost never take them, but the doe was well inside of 100 yards and perfectly still. After calming my nerves for a few seconds, the dot of the Noblex 2.5-10x50 steadied on the center of the throat patch...and I touched off a round. The 120 grain Ballistic Tip, which leaves the barrel at just over 2600 fps, flew true and resulted in the deer making a back flip with a rather hard landing.

Because the neck was absolutely limp, I couldn't do much in the way of posing the deer for the photo. Thus, the results don't show her true size. My Moultrie scale's needle broke a while back, so this one did not get weighed. But she was plump and healthy -- and our son Andy struggled as he played retriever in getting the doe back to the house.

Chalk up another one for that barrel!! I never did tally up how many deer and pigs I took with that thing but it was several most years for what seems like most of a decade. Glad it's still doing the job!! :)

Team Savage
    JA-

I've lost count of how many animals it has dropped, but I know it includes deer, quite a few hogs and numerous coyotes. One of the most memorable was this chunky boar below. Its girth was incredible, but the 6.5 Bullberry put him down in a hurry.

Since Ive had it, it has worn three different stock sets and no telling how many different scopes, but the results with it are always the same.

Check your email.

Team Savage
    Here are just a few of the photos of kills with the that particular 6.5 Bullberry barrel. I wish I did a better job of labeling the photos that are just of the animals because there are a few more that the 6.5 BB is responsible for, but I'd have to dig through notes or look up the full file names on those images.

Yep...it's a meat-gettin' machine, for sure. No doubt you've downed as many critters in the couple of years you've had it as I did in all the years I hunted with it. :)

Team Savage
    JA-

Email your mailing address when you get a chance. I have some 85 grain Ballistic Tips for you to try in your Sharps.

Nice...I'll message via FB. Thanks!

Team Savage
    Got it. I'll send them in the next day or two.

Basic Member
    nice doe!!!

i shot 7 or 8 deer with the TC Encore in 6.5 Creedmoor with 120gr and 140gr Nosler BT. i sold the CM, but i still have box or two of 120gr Nosler BT. my youngest son has a '16 Spanish Mauser with a Numrich sporter barrel in 6.5x55. it can do around 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" group at 100 yards (5 shots/bench). i believe the 120gr BT is going around 2700fps. i'll probably take the Spanish out deer hunting and wishfully i'll take another doe.

Team Savage
    Good luck on your next hunt! The 120 grain BT at that velocity is simply amazing, and the 6.5x55 is one of the best and most useful cartridges around.

WTG, Bobby! Yep, you’ve piled up the critters with that barrel.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by BT View Post
    WTG, Bobby! Yep, you’ve piled up the critters with that barrel.
    It has a long, long ways to go to catch up with two former barrels, though: the 7mm Bullberry and the 6.5 Bullberry IMP.