Thread: got a doe

Basic Member

got a doe

Saturday, i go out for my 1st day of deer season. i have my son and my brother to help the old cripple out . my brother was early to go out, while the two of us were late, 7:30 - 8:00ish. while i was going up to my ground blind, i seen two white-tails that were going away from me. i sit down in my blind and wait. all of a sudden, my phone vibrates and it is my brother. he seen a huge 8 pt and a doe that were going to my stand....early. oh well. 9:00 comes by and it's time to drink decaf tea (decaf coffee makes bad heartburn, decaf is good for my heart). 9:30ish, 6 doe comes by my stand about 40ish yards away. i have my TC Encore in a 23" MGM barrel in 444 Marlin with 280gr WFN GC and Reloder 7 going roughly 1947fps. i pick up and sight it on a doe and decided not to shoot. 10 - 15 minutes later, i can no longer see them. 10:00 it's time for decaf tea. while waiting for it to cool, 3 doe show up at about 35ish yards. it is 2 fawns and a yearling doe. not enuff meat to worry about, so i let them go. 10:30ish a doe shows up. i looked her over and she was to my standards so it was time to shoot her. it took me about 10 minutes to place a shot behind the shoulder. she was about 40ish yards and standing broadside when i took the shoot. after i shot, i could see blood coming out and the side that i shot her was covered in blood. she ran about 15ish yards and then gave up and died.

a message was sent to my son and brother that i got one. my son came by about 15 minutes later and he dressed the doe, while i went for Polaris. my brother shows up and tells me i should have came early because of the huge 8pt. "oh well," i tell him, "next time."

a 145 - 150 lbs doe, guesstimate

Basic Member
    I love doe hunting

Team Savage
    I like it

Congrats, nothing better than a nice doe for the table. Our doe season is this next weekend. I hope to get out.

Team Savage
    Well done! That doe will make for some fine table fare.

Team Savage
    444 Marlin with a 225 Hornady, Flex tip. Great medicine for whitetail and it doesn't destroy the meat. Mine is a 17 inch Encore carbine.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bsekf View Post
    444 Marlin with a 225 Hornady, Flex tip. Great medicine for whitetail and it doesn't destroy the meat. Mine is a 17 inch Encore carbine.
    i shot alot of deer with the 255gr Kieth-type, 280gr LFN AND WFN GC, 275gr Ranch Dog and 300gr SAECO FN GC along with 265gr Hornady FN. basically, the faster it is, it creates more meat damage. i used a 265gr Hornady FN at 2300fps and the devastation was awesome. next year i tried 2000fps on the Hornady FN and the bullet was little less devastating.

i tried 275gr Ranch Dog at 2300fps and i found it was same as the Hornady bullet. i went down my powder charge to 1900+fps and the boolit's wound channel was around 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" hole straight thru the deer. i do behind the shoulder mostly. one time i did a 300gr SAECO FN GC that was 1626fps from the muzzle. i shot a 4pt at 60ish yards and the exit wound diameter was about 1 1/4". the lungs were trashed and the buck only ran (after the shot) about 15+/- yards.

Nice.
    Now you got some backstrap sammiches to go with that tea.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Congrats on your deer!

Basic Member
    i got a 2nd doe thursday at 4:45pm with my Husqvarna m46 in 9.3x57. it was a whopping 15ish yards when the 275gr WFN GC and IMR4895 flattened her. i still have to chronograph the 9.3, but i think it should be 1800-1900fps. anway, she was shot behind the shoulder and it went out 2 ribs behind the other shoulder. the lungs were trashed and the boolit came out about 1 1/4" hole.

i didn't take a picture because it was dark when my son field dressed it. i figure she weighed about 190 - 200 lbs. she was big, old, dry doe that i seen in my backyard at nite. my son pulled fat off her in a 5 gallon bucket. other than the backstraps, she be made in straight deerburger, no pork or hamburger.

Team Savage
    Congrats! You'll definitely be eating well this winter.

I'm curious about your velocity, too -- not that a few FPS either way matter, though, because it's obvious your load is very effective! Congrats again...

Congrats! That fills a freezer up quickly.
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!