Thread: Bolt Slop in rear of reciever

Basic Member

Bolt Slop in rear of reciever

I was wondering if there's anyway to remove some of the bolt slop in the rear of the action. The one I am tinkering with is one of my long actions.

The problem is when cycling or working the bolt. I don't mind the bolt lift itself, and I understand how to lighten that if needed. What I am asking about is actually pulling the bolt backward, then forward again. If you don't work the bolt slowly and perfectly straight with the rear action raceway, then the bolt drags thus removing it's smoothness.

Anyone have a fix for this? Thanks Kyle.

82boy

Re: Bolt Slop in rear of reciever

Buy a Dave Kiff bolt body from PTG.

Basic Member

That would be known as one of the features of a Savage rifle.

Basic Member

I understand that the way the bolt is designed with a floating bolt head that there will be some slop. I can live with some. It's just this one here that's really bad which is what I was wondering.

I will look for the other bolt body. Thanks.

Basic Member

I put a PTG .701" fluted bolt body in my 6brx F class rig. I am very happy I did it, but it was like $110. If this was a fun rifle, not competition, I would never have spent the money

Quote Originally Posted by savageboy
    I am very happy I did it, but it was like $110. If this was a fun rifle, not competition, I would never have spent the money
    happy as in it feels better or did you see a group change?
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Dirk

Re: Bolt Slop in rear of receiver

How on Earth could there possibly be a group change?

shooter confidence
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Dirk

Re: Bolt Slop in rear of receiver

You have a point there. I was only considering mechanical aspects.

Basic Member

Actually, dont know, never shot the action w/ the orig bolt. I have 3 other sav. actions, and wanted this one to be "tighter" whatever that means. I can tell you, I won one of the relays in my 1st F class match with it, and was the overall winner in the F open class in the 2nd match I shot w/ it. I was fireforming brass to 6brx too, so the question is: would I have the same results w the orig bolt? I would like to think so, but then again, since I spent the money and it looks cool maybe not. The rifle shoots unbelievable.

82boy

Trust me, that bolt slop will not make any diference on how the guns shoots.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by 82boy
    Trust me, that bolt slop will not make any diference on how the guns shoots.
    +1 with 82boy

BUT bolt slop does matter on "where" you shoot a rifle. (sometimes a little extra "clearance" helps prevent jams)

Basic Member

Got Diesel

The Savage design Engineers spent a lot of time figuring out how to make the most accurate rifle possible for the least amount of $money$.

I think the secret is the floating bolt head which allows both locking lugs the bear evenly on the locking lug recesses in the receiver. If you try and tighten things up you might remove too much "wiggle room" which could effect the bolt heads ability to "float" and self align with the bore.

On a standard bolt action rifle like a Remington 700 the bolt raceway in the receiver controls alignment and if the receiver on a military M24/M40 sniper rifle is excessively worn the receiver is scraped.

To the people in this forum I would think the two most important items would be lapping the lugs to ensure an equal amount of contact on both bolt lugs and the bolt face being true and 90 degrees to the axis of the bore.

Don't worry about what is "behind" the pivot pin, what is forward of the pin is what really matters.
    (there is far less bolt slop on your Savage rifle than on a 98 Mauser type action) ;D

[img width=575 height=450]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/IMGP6477-a.jpg[/img]

Basic Member

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...html#msg252597 The stock bolt dosent look this sexy though :)

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by savageboy
    The stock bolt dosent look this sexy though :)
    Well I may beg to differ, with the same amount of work they sure can look just as nice.
    http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,32060.0.html

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,27810.0.html

Basic Member

SSS does awsome work for sure