Thread: Savauser

Basic Member

Savauser

Guess I have too much time on my hands. Here is the beginning on a Mauser with a Savage 110 Bolt head build The Savauser. I machined the damaged Mauser bolt head off, bored the body for the Savage bolt head, all the while keeping the measurements true. I also ground the extractor rib off the body. The Savage bolt head works in the Mauser with just a wee bit of polishing. The Bolt head had to be bored for the Mauser firing pin. I intend to machine the inner ring out of the Mauser receiver as the lugs are a little longer on the Savage and this will make it perfect. I know it is a silly project but I have a damaged bolt and thought why not make it useful? It will end up in 6.5x55 I think...

FYI, Yes I am keeping the third lug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20231123_165101.jpg  

Basic Member
    That's a project I pondered for a while. Fueled by finding an old Mauser action that had seen better days. I passed on it. Every now and then I think about finding another action to work on. But, these days even a junk action goes for what I think is an insane amount of money.

So are you also going to make it a 'barrel nut' job?

Banned
    Very cool. I like it. Keep us updated.

Basic Member
    I thought about making it with a nut, I will decide once I get the inner ring machined out and see whats what. Heck I might machine it out sleeve it and thread it for Savage barrels, maybe.

Basic Member
    I think I've found a mauser action to work on. I haven't done a pull through reamer before but I may try that method for this one. I don't think this barrel will ever be changed since it will be a cast bullet only rifle.