Thread: 6mm Super LR

6mm Super LR

Anybody shooting a 6mm Super LR. how much does this improve barrel life and will it go 1000 yds

thanks Rod

DGD6MM

Re: 6mm Super LR

I'm not shooting a 6 Super LR, but a 6CM which I believe is better all around. Research the round on 6BR.com.

Isn't the 6cm a 22-250 brass. I ask about the super lr because of the amount of 243 brass I have.

DGD6MM

No , the 6CM is off .243 Winchester Brass. My fps is 3153 with 115 DTAC and 48.7 grains of H-1000 and 3225 with 49 grains of H-1000. this is out of a 27 inch Kreiger. 1/4 moa rifle. The fella that designed this cartridge shoots 49.3 at 3275 with a 115 Berger.

how do you reform the brass

DGD6MM

Light jam in the lands, this supports the shoulder and forms.

tell me more about the 6cm. best barrel, dies etc. I have a model 12 varmiter which i would like to rebarrel

thanks

DGD6MM

Because of H-1000 and polishing the throat and bore every 200-300 rounds barrel life exceeds 4000 rounds. The last record Joe Hendricks set with the 6CM he had over 3800 rounds thru both of his barrels. He shoots XTC. He has won the Marine Corp Cup twice. David Tubbs and Kent Reeve are the only other two to do this. Joe has set 5 or 6 records with it. I shoot mine out to 1000, but mostly at 850. The last time at 1000 on paper my 10 shot group was just under 4.5 inches, since then I've improved the load a little. At 850 I've shot a handfull of 2 inch 5 shot groups, off the bench and prone. 2000 rounds down this barrel and I borescoped it and it will go that much more again with winning accuracy. I've been beat by 7 mags just to finish 2nd, sometimes I beat them. There's only about 50 -60 people shooting this cartridge. Sorry for being on my soapbox, but I've had great success so far with this cartridge. I own 2, one that I got about a month ago in a thumbhole benchrest stock, 30 inch Kreiger, Hall Action. David Bruno built these rifles and made my 1st die. Redding makes the die now because David is so busy. At 100 yards I've shot 5-5 shot groups back to back. 2 in the 0's, 1 in the 1's, 1 in the 2's, and 1 in the low 3's. Most would think this is blowing smoke, but I could care less, for this cartridge is a jaw dropper. The reason most have never heard or seen anyone shooting this round is mainly because a man named Joe Hendricks developed and shoots it and not Robert Whitley or David Tubbs. If you want to know more specifics about the 6CM send me an e-mail at Dgd6mm@windstream.net a phone # or I'll send you mine and we'll talk and I'll give you all the info you could possibly want.

nwkman

What is you process of polishing the throat and bore?

chadster73

DGD.... I'd like to know more about that caliber as well... looks very promising as well! I did some searches @ 6mmbr last night and looks like it is a pretty awesome .243 wildcat. I too wondered about Whitley's 6mm SLR barrel life but can't seem to get any real world answers from anyone about barrel life. I've even emailed Mr. Whitley himself and have not heard back from him.
    There is plenty of feedback from folks on the 6CM on accuracy, barrel life, load data and the like. I'd like to see some write ups on it like Mr. Whitley has on his Super LR cartridges... but that's just me! The gentleman who is attributed with the 6cm recommends Dave Bruno for barrels... wish I could get a hold of this gentleman. I'd like to know what kinda barrel lengths it takes to get a solid 3000 fps out of the DTACS... how much a set of dies are... and what kind of success the savage crowd is having with this 6cm.

DGD6MM

My 2nd post tells you the fps with the lenght. I've only seen 2 on Savage actions, mine and Jim Carr's. We built them at the same time, actions out went out together. I guess we're the Savage crowd. Verygood success. A good borepolish on a patch mixed with some Kroil oil wraped on a nylon brush. Short stroke the throat area and work your way down the bore to the muzzle, then full lenght strokes.