Thread: M11 Heavy Barrel Target

M11 Heavy Barrel Target

I shot my M11 Heavy barrelled rifle in .223 to day at 200 yards. Yes it was rested, as I am getting a bit old for Off Hand at 200 yards. Shot about a 1 1/2 inch group at that distance, Was using home rolled ammo. Was using 25.4 grains of H-335, with a 52 Grain Hornaday BT A-Max round. Was pleased with the results. Have a Nikon 309X Scope on it. Have been thinking of going to a 24 X or a 36X Leupold on it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M11 200yard group 11.20.23.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	414.1 KB 
ID:	10107

Banned
    Lookin’ good!

Basic Member
    What's the twist in your barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark611 View Post
    What's the twist in your barrel?
    Bought the rifle used with no paperwork. I think it is 1 in 9". Have never bothered to look at twist rates, just how well a rifle shot.

Basic Member
    Nicely done. If just shooting from the bench I like higher power. I consider my 16x minimum and even then it is a handicap at 600yd.

We have a steel ram target at 300m. Every now and then if I am feeling steady I'll take some standing shots at it. These days it takes a lot of effort to hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Nicely done. If just shooting from the bench I like higher power. I consider my 16x minimum and even then it is a handicap at 600yd.

We have a steel ram target at 300m. Every now and then if I am feeling steady I'll take some standing shots at it. These days it takes a lot of effort to hit it.
    Thank you for the kind words. I have like I wrote the Leupolds on the shelf and am tempted. My days of Off Hand are done. As they say "Back In The Day", when I had to qualify in the Corps if was different. I shot a 24 or 25 at 200 yards with the M16 out of a possible 25 points. But that was almost 40 years ago..........getting old sucks!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc69 View Post
    Thank you for the kind words. I have like I wrote the Leupolds on the shelf and am tempted. My days of Off Hand are done. As they say "Back In The Day", when I had to qualify in the Corps if was different. I shot a 24 or 25 at 200 yards with the M16 out of a possible 25 points. But that was almost 40 years ago..........getting old sucks!!
    I hear ya man. I’m not even that old (45), however, I was disabled in 2014 & left arm/hand paralyzed. To this day, the AR15 remains my favorite rifle. Losing the ability of standing to shoot the AR is still something I deal with, although it’s accepted. But right after it was a crushing blow. Very hard to deal with loss of practices that were so common in yester-years. You’re right…, it Sucks!

Basic Member
    You got that right on the old! I'm 60 things ain't gettin any easier! if your barrel is a 1&9 twist it may shoot better with heavier bullets, I say that because the M12 in 223rem I'm getting ready to change out to 6.5CR has a 1&9 twist and it shot the 69gn Nosler CC the best and the 69gn SMK's were right there with the Nosler's, I could keep all my shots inside a milk jug lid @200m, this rifle is basically a factory set up running my hand loads, bigger glass with old eyes helps a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    I hear ya man. I’m not even that old (45), however, I was disabled in 2014 & left arm/hand paralyzed. To this day, the AR15 remains my favorite rifle. Losing the ability of standing to shoot the AR is still something I deal with, although it’s accepted. But right after it was a crushing blow. Very hard to deal with loss of practices that were so common in yester-years. You’re right…, it Sucks!

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I was lucky and made it through my service without a scratch. Just old age and medical problems limit me now. Still think I am 21 at times!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc69 View Post
    LOL yep. I was third high in my class at the qualification range with the M14 (1400 cadets). The other two were ranked nationally on the shooting team. Funny thing is the three worst shots were at 100yd. Did I mention I tend to 'choke' when the scores count? :)

When I reached 55 I started getting tremors. Now days (at 70) they can be pretty bad. If I have to hold a position it gets worse. I still do OK at rapid fire pistol, muscle memory, point and shoot works. Rifles I have to use bags and rests.

And, yes, getting old does suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark611 View Post
    You got that right on the old! I'm 60 things ain't gettin any easier! if your barrel is a 1&9 twist it may shoot better with heavier bullets, I say that because the M12 in 223rem I'm getting ready to change out to 6.5CR has a 1&9 twist and it shot the 69gn Nosler CC the best and the 69gn SMK's were right there with the Nosler's, I could keep all my shots inside a milk jug lid @200m, this rifle is basically a factory set up running my hand loads, bigger glass with old eyes helps a lot!
    This bullet weight seems to work best in my M11 and my DPMS AR-15. Yes, I probably could do better at longer ranges with a bigger power scope. Have thought about it, but do not want to go through the change over evolution. Lazy, I guess.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Savage M11 Target 8.11.22.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	10121 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M11 Target 10.01.23.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	253.1 KB 
ID:	10122

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    LOL yep. I was third high in my class at the qualification range with the M14 (1400 cadets). The other two were ranked nationally on the shooting team. Funny thing is the three worst shots were at 100yd. Did I mention I tend to 'choke' when the scores count? :)

When I reached 55 I started getting tremors. Now days (at 70) they can be pretty bad. If I have to hold a position it gets worse. I still do OK at rapid fire pistol, muscle memory, point and shoot works. Rifles I have to use bags and rests.

And, yes, getting old does suck.

I will be 72 in less than 30 days. 40 years ago I could jump up on a pullup bar and do 17 pullups, now I would be doing good just to reach the bar! In the Off Hand now, I sway around like Maggie's Drawers!