Thread: Seek help confirming dimensions for Savage Recoil Lugs

Seek help confirming dimensions for Savage Recoil Lugs

Hello,

I am working to confirm width of Savage recoil lug. Based on current specs, I believe the Model 110 Short Action is same / similar to the older Model 10 actions. Not certain when / if recoil lug design was changed, but it appears I need the newer AccuStock Recoil Lug versus "older" Standard one, which has tapered shoulders.

I've measured the opening of the MDT stock chassis I plan to use and it is 1.1375 (Nominal). Given the cut, I believe the AccuStock one is the lug for my builds, which should come on newer rifles. After scanning the internet, and contacting Savage directly -- who said they couldn't share specs -- I've not be able to find a definitive answer. My reason for asking is I am assessing whether to buy complete rifle and swap stocks, or build from action out. The swap route would be fastest to range, as Savage 110 Tactical in 6.5 Creedmoor meets my needs and can be found for reasonable price; it ships with the AccuStock.

Chassis is MDT Tac21 Gen2 for Savage Short Action. MDT confirmed following:

All of our chassis for a Savage SA inlet are designed based on the factory recoil lug specs. So, as long as it follows the factory recoil lug specs of a Savage SA, it will work without issue.

Assumption is any "AccuStocked" rifle ships with the AccuStock Recoil Lug, which "should" work. Thanks in advance for any help in determining, definitively, what will work.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/X8oGP3JQM6ATaiRHA

Sincerely, Don

Banned
    I used to use the MDT TAC21 chassis. I’ve since switched to a Mirage URL chassis, and also doing a rebarrel. Yo go with the rebarrel, I also machined a new Titanium recoil lug. My Mirage Chassis can fit a larger lug so the one I made is nearly full Action width. (Like 1.320”
    roughly). But I can tell you the TAC21 will fit the standard lug. I was using a PT&G .250” non-tapered lug. (Pictured below) it did. Need to be shortened a bit. But that slight fitting is normal.

PT&G .250” lug on the left. My machined Titanium Lug on the Right.

Thanks, Dave. I heard through trial-error standard, tapered lug didn’t work. Assumed chassis was designed for “newer,” AccuStock lug. Channel looks plenty deep to cover multiple lengths.

Appreciate reply. Leaning buy-swap for expediency, but build-to-spec growing. Might have access to Mod 10 in 308 to assess.

Banned
    Nope. The standard lug may need a bit of fitting. This can easily be done with a file & sandpaper. Again, I used the PT&G .250” Non-Tapered style in the picture & I did have to trim just the bottom slightly. However, this is normal as they are oversized. The Lug I made would not fit the TAC21 by a long shot, but it does fit my Mirage URL chassis.