Thread: .308 Savage 12 VLP GRS Warg sock doesn't fit

Basic Member

.308 Savage 12 VLP GRS Warg sock doesn't fit

Hello,

I purchased a GRS Warg stock for my Savage 12 VLP in .308
    https://www.grsriflestocks.com/savage?size=24
    https://www.grsriflestocks.com/grs-b...?variant=11115

It doesn't seem to fit it. The front of the action, where the barrel nut is, doesn't fit flush with the stock.
    Does anybody have experience installing these? Do I have to tap it / snap it in?

Thank you

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
    CORRECTION (12/21/2023):

I just discovered that GRS Warg did not fit my Savage 12 VLP rifle because I had an aftermarket oversize recoil lug fitted to it as part of an accurizing job. Thus I want to leave it clear that this is not fault of the GRS Warg stock.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
    Last edited by Pistoler0; 12-21-2023 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Correction

A 12vlp in 308 should be a small shank? You sure yours is a large?

Where exactly is it not fitting? Entire action? Just barrel nut?

Pretty sure my large and small shank actions measure the same diameter. Just checked, although a little hard to measure with a scope mounted on it.

Basic Member
    You are right, thank you, I just double checked and my .308 12 VLP is indeed small shank. (So I edited and changed the thread).

Thing of it is, it doesn't fit my GRS Warg stock and it is driving me nutz.

Where isn’t it fitting?

Basic Member
    pdog,

Iput the original stock back but I will try it again tomorrow and post a pic, so maybe I can get some help.

Basically the project I wanted to undertake is to:
    1) put an Accurate Mag AICS bottom metal on the .308 model 12 VLP.
    2) attach it to the GRS warg

Yesterday I had it apart and the rifle would not fit in the Warg at the spot where the barrel nut meets the stock (the recoil lug, trigger and action screws lined up fine). So I put away the stock and

decided to install the Accurate Mag on the original laminated wood for the VLP. It went in fine but after feeding the 1st round the AICS magazine slacked down and it would not pick up the next round. It is like if the mag wouldn't catch properly in the magwell.

So I am super frustrated with this project.

I will start a new thread tomorrow for the whole project and try to illustrate with pictures. I am not ready to take it to the smith yet, I want to give my (nonexistent) DIY gunsmithing skills one more try.

The factory and the AICS mags have different latch styles so that’s why it didn’t work.

Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Banned
    Large & Small Shank Actions are identical OD dimensions through the Action & Barrel nut.

Not sure what you mean the front doesn’t fit flush? Do you mean it won’t sit all the way down in the stock do the Action & stock Bedding surfaces meet? You need to be more clear, or, as I always recommend to new guys with problems, post a picture. We can’t see what you are seeing. It’s actually just a matter of locating what is interfering. Check if the Recoil lug is hanging up. (Bottoming out)

Basic Member
    <<Looking forward to seeing the pics.>>

pdog,

I just realized that as a new member I am not allowed to upload my own pics (which is really frustrating).
    I can only attach a link to a web photo.

What I will do is start a thread in the other forum I am a member of: thefiringline
    upload a photo there, and include a link here to the uploaded photo in the forum.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistoler0 View Post
    <<Looking forward to seeing the pics.>>

pdog,

I just realized that as a new member I am not allowed to upload my own pics (which is really frustrating).
    I can only attach a link to a web photo.

What I will do is start a thread in the other forum I am a member of: thefiringline
    upload a photo there, and include a link here to the uploaded photo in the forum.

Use https://imgbb.com/ Upload image, click & Copy the BBCode from links, then Past in the post. This is how I post almost all my pics even though I am a member with picture posting ability.

Basic Member
    I wanted to revisit this post, as it's been some time and I didn't update the info that I provided as OP.

It turns out that a few years ago I sent my Savage 12 VLP to Scott Null at SavageGunsmithing for accurizing and a glass bedding job. (I recommend them, they did a great job and the rifle shoots great). It turns out that the accurizing job included the installation of a Holland or SSS oversize recoil lug, and this is no doubt the reason why my Savage no longer fits into a pre-fit stock such as the GRS Warg I was trying to put it in.

I wanted to post this for future searches regarding the Warg's fit in the Savage to make it crystal clear that the stock didn't fit my particular Savage rifle only because the recoil lug had been modified.

I think that I will leave the rifle in the original laminated stock which is beautiful to begin with and not too heavy (2.8 lbs according to Savage themselves). In order to adjust the buttstock to my cheek (which is one of the reasons I wanted the Warg) I installed a strap on cheek riser by Tac-Pro which I also recommend.
    https://tacpro.com/

Banned
    LOL! This is always the case. New member comes with a problem.. and ALWAYS leaves something out. HAHAHA! Actually, I did mention checking the Recoil Lug I believe. Why not just cut a little off the length of the Lug and fit it to the GRS? I would much rather use the GRS stock. They are pretty slick.

Basic Member
    Dave, you know he probably did not even remember that at the time he posted all this. Laughing at him won't help.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Dave, you know he probably did not even remember that at the time he posted all this. Laughing at him won't help.
    That's ok Charlie, I probably deserved some laughing at for not double checking this earlier, and I have a thick skin (which after certain age, we all do).

But what I wanted to do and the reason why I posted a follow up, is because I wanted to leave it clear that this was no fault of the Warg. I don't want people Googling the Warg and Savage in the future and find a post from this thread saying that it didn't fit. The reason why my rifle had problems with it is because it had a modified recoil lug.

As far as the suggestion to cut the recoil lug, I would need a gunsmith to do it and that is too much hassle.
    I returned the stock to Brownells.

Basic Member
    <<Dave Hoback: I did mention checking the Recoil Lug I believe. Why not just cut a little off the length of the Lug and fit it to the GRS? I would much rather use the GRS stock. They are pretty slick>>

It was too thick, not too long

In any case, I think the solution would be to go back to the original Savage lug, but that is too much hassle for me, I would need a smith and right now I am out of gun $ because I am trying to get sum ammo.

Banned
    Wasn’t laughing at him Charlie. You know I don’t laugh at others for not knowing something. I was musing at the repetitive nature of the situation. That’s why it was attached to the first part of what I said. That’s all.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistoler0 View Post
    <<Dave Hoback: I did mention checking the Recoil Lug I believe. Why not just cut a little off the length of the Lug and fit it to the GRS? I would much rather use the GRS stock. They are pretty slick>>

It was too thick, not too long

In any case, I think the solution would be to go back to the original Savage lug, but that is too much hassle for me, I would need a smith and right now I am now of gun $ because I am trying to get sum ammo.
    Ahh, gotchya. I was thinking because you indicated it wasn’t sitting flush. Hmm… if you were anywhere close to me, I could open up the pocket in the GRS stock easily & fit the lug for you. But you’re Colorado, I’m Pennsylvania. Have you looked at the thickness different? I wonder if it’s just a few thousandths that you’d be able to do with sand paper, or maybe files. Are you certain you couldn’t be walked through it? I understand if you simply don’t DIY anything; some people don’t.

And, pay no mind to the accusations that was I laughing at you. I wasn’t. Because I don’t do that! And my posting history can prove that. Again, I was musing at the repetition of the particular type of post. Which is a true statement. There are a couple people here who go out of their way to call me out by name in an attempt to discredit me to other members. If you continue reading here, you’ll see it eventually.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Ahh, gotchya. I was thinking because you indicated it wasn’t sitting flush. Hmm… if you were anywhere close to me, I could open up the pocket in the GRS stock easily & fit the lug for you. But you’re Colorado, I’m Pennsylvania. Have you looked at the thickness different? I wonder if it’s just a few thousandths that you’d be able to do with sand paper, or maybe files. Are you certain you couldn’t be walked through it? I understand if you simply don’t DIY anything; some people don’t.

And, pay no mind to the accusations that was I laughing at you. I wasn’t. Because I don’t do that! And my posting history can prove that. Again, I was musing at the repetition of the particular type of post. Which is a true statement. There are a couple people here who go out of their way to call me out by name in an attempt to discredit me to other members. If you continue reading here, you’ll see it eventually.
    Yeah, I think when I re-take the project I'll take it to a smith because I do like the Warg and I am not DIY when it comes to these things.

And don't worry about the banter. People are too quick to get offended nowadays, you didn't offend me. I actually appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Banned
    I actually really like the GRS stock as well. I had debated getting the Bifrost when I first built this Savage in 2016.

Basic Member
    Wasn’t laughing at him Charlie. You know I don’t laugh at others for not knowing something. I was musing at the repetitive nature of the situation. That’s why it was attached to the first part of what I said. That’s all.
    Dave, then rephrase the statement cause he and I certainly understood it to mean him.

Just because it is repetitive does not need a response negative to those who do it. Instead you should help folks with their description of problems.

How about the width of the lug(side to side)? They are wider toward the bottom than a factory lug.

You could take it to a smith and they probably wouldn’t charge much at all to clearance it for the lug. That’s too good of a stock to let it sit there unused…lol. that would drive me crazy.
    Or, like Dave mentioned, with it being a composite a file, dremel, or similar should be able to do the job if it’s not too much to remove, and save you the gunsmith cost. you’re just clearancing the barrel side of the lug area, which is supposed to be free of contact anyway. So if you open it a tad too much it isnt any big deal. I’ve done this on many woods and composite stocks with no issues.
    Last edited by pdog06; 12-22-2023 at 12:11 PM.

Banned
    Dave, then rephrase the statement cause he and I certainly understood it to mean him.

Just because it is repetitive does not need a response negative to those who do it. Instead you should help folks with their description of problems.

Did you sincerely just instruct me to start helping others!?? Ok Charlie. Sure thing… I’ll start helping others here I guess.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdog06 View Post
    How about the width of the lug(side to side)? They are wider toward the bottom than a factory lug.

You could take it to a smith and they probably wouldn’t charge much at all to clearance it for the lug. That’s too good of a stock to let it sit there unused…lol. that would drive me crazy.
    Or, like Dave mentioned, with it being a composite a file, dremel, or similar should be able to do the job if it’s not too much to remove, and save you the gunsmith cost. you’re just clearancing the barrel side of the lug area, which is supposed to be free of contact anyway. So if you open it a tad too much it isnt any big deal. I’ve done this on many woods and composite stocks with no issues.
    pdog, I returned the stock to Brownells, although... I am thinking about buying it again.
    It sucks because I purchased it very cheap (around $500), and now I cannot find it at the same price.

I think I will take it to the smith for sure next time.

<<How about the width of the lug(side to side)? They are wider toward the bottom than a factory lug.>>
    Yes, I think it was the width of the lug side to side that didn't fit the stock.

Basic Member
    I actually really like the GRS stock as well. I had debated getting the Bifrost when I first built this Savage in 2016.
    I debated the Bifrost vs the Warg, and come to find out they are exactly the same weight, I went for the Warg since it has more Mlok and picatinny attachment options. The Bifrost has a more traditional look and I like that about it.

Banned
    OR…..

Check around your area in Colorado PistolerO for a SavageShooters member. I know there are a bunch of Colorado guys on the Forum. And there’s gotta be at least one competent Savage-Smith among them. There are many people here who will gladly help out a fellow Savage Shooters member.

Unfortunately, it does seem Brownells was the only game in town for the GRS Warg. Just goes to to show ya, don’t pull the trigger on decisions so quick. Search and find the appropriate information first. If you are interested in similar, rod similar pricing: both the KRG Bravo & MDT Oryx Chassis are fantastic performers and right around $400. Also, there is NO Recoil Lug or any other fitting with either one.

KNS Bravo:
    https://kineticresearchgroup.com/product/bravo-savage/

MDT Oryx:
    https://mdttac.com/oryx-chassis-system/

OR…..

Check around your area in Colorado PistolerO for a SavageShooters member. I know there are a bunch of Colorado guys on the Forum. And there’s gotta be at least one competent Savage-Smith among them. There are many people here who will gladly help out a fellow Savage Shooters member.

Unfortunately, it does seem Brownells was the only game in town for the GRS Warg. Just goes to to show ya, don’t pull the trigger on decisions so quick. Search and find the appropriate information first. If you are interested in similar, rod similar pricing: both the KRG Bravo & MDT Oryx Chassis are fantastic performers and right around $400. Also, there is NO Recoil Lug or any other fitting with either one.

KRG Bravo:
    https://kineticresearchgroup.com/product/bravo-savage/

MDT Oryx:
    https://mdttac.com/oryx-chassis-system/
    Fixed it
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.