Thread: Impossible to find 223 Mag # 55155 or 55151 for model 10. Thinking about relinquishing rifle.

Basic Member

Impossible to find 223 Mag # 55155 or 55151 for model 10.

Hello,

I own a .223 10 Precision Carbine with the bottom bolt release that uses 4 round 55155 or 55151 mags. This is the rifle:
    https://snipercentral.com/savage-10-precision-carbine/
    I lost the mags, and they are impossible to find. I've been looking for them for months.

Anybody has suggestions?

Could the rifle maybe be converted to AICS? (I haven't see a bottom metal for available for this particular model)

I don't know what to do with the firearm, I am seriously thinking about relinquishing the rifle to LE for disposal.
    Any ideas?

Basic Member
    Don't do that! send it me I'll give it a good home.
    Call Savage they'll fix you up I bet. Have your serial # handy, Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistoler0 View Post
    Hello,

I don't know what to do with the firearm, I am seriously thinking about relinquishing the rifle to LE for disposal.
    Any ideas?
    That’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard! voluntarily hand a gun over to the government. And because YOU lost the mags….lol

Have you put want ads on this and every other forums classified section? Yes they’ve been very hard to find recently, but just because you do t see them for sale in classifieds doesn’t mean guys don’t have them. A lot of guys hang on to things just in case, or don’t list too much for sale, but might just sell one to you if they know you need it. They cannot however read minds…lol

If nothing else you could buy a single shot follower to put in it so you can shoot it till you find one. They will stay in without a magazine. My 223 is setup that way as we speak.

But If you wish to get rid of the rifle let me know. I’m from the government and I’m here to help

Is this what you need?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204539459159

Basic Member
    Technically my commission in the Army is only retired, not deactivated. So, yeah, I am from the government too :)

Seriously, this can be as simple as a single shot insert. More expensive would be fitting it for AICS mags. Or, this--
    https://www.snydermags.com/product/2...-10-round-mag/

But, I agree that you should contact Savage first.

Basic Member
    YES!! Thank you thank you, bought it on the spot!!

Basic Member
    Charlie_b: Snyder mags look good, maybe for my .308....
    Any experience with them? Are they reliable?

Basic Member
    Man that was easy. Guess I'll start putting my problems on here and let you guys solve them.LOL

Quote Originally Posted by kwarw1 View Post
    Man that was easy. Guess I'll start putting my problems on here and let you guys solve them.LOL
    Just an easy google search of the part number. Took me right to it. Doesn’t show the same number the OP listed, but says right on it what it’s for. It’s the same as the one on the gun in the link posted though.

Glad it worked out.

Banned
    Many of us have been doing this awhile & just know exactly where to find things.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Many of us have been doing this awhile & just know exactly where to find things.
    👍👍👍

Basic Member
    I would get another one from Savage and put in a safe place.
    I would forget where I put it though.

Basic Member
    No, I never tried one of them. Thought about it, but, since I just shoot from a bench I single load.

Snyder was probably the first to make the 10rnd ones in a way that seems best to me, ie, they weld up the magazine.

Basic Member
    YES!! Thank you thank you, bought it on the spot!!
    And let us know how they work. I don't remember anyone reporting back on them for a while.

Banned
    There are these as well which look pretty legit. Unfortunately, they’ve been out of stock for some time. https://darkeaglecustom.com/magazines/

Basic Member
    <<And let us know how they work. I don't remember anyone reporting back on them for a while.>>

Chalie b, I got the mag (it came from Optics Planet) and it seems to cycle rounds flawlessly, loading and extracting them with no issues.
    I haven't shot the rifle with the new mag yet, but as far as cycling the rounds it is doing it consistently, like it did with the original mag that came with the rifle.

Basic Member
    <<There are these as well which look pretty legit. Unfortunately, they’ve been out of stock for some time. https://darkeaglecustom.com/magazines/ >>

Dave, I have one of those for a Savage 12 VLP in .308 that has NEVER worked well. Feeds the 1st round but the magazine becomes unlatched when trying to cycle the 2nd round, and doesn't feed it.

Do not recommend.

Basic Member
    <<And let us know how they work. I don't remember anyone reporting back on them for a while.>>

Chalie b, I got the mag (it came from Optics Planet) and it seems to cycle rounds flawlessly, loading and extracting them with no issues.
    I haven't shot the rifle with the new mag yet, but as far as cycling the rounds it is doing it consistently, like it did with the original mag that came with the rifle.
    Thanks for the feedback. I am glad to know they work well. I've been close to ordering one but since most of my shooting is from a bench I just haven't pulled the trigger.

Heck, I still have the .223 magazine in my Axis even though I have a .308 barrel on it :) Single feed works just fine.

Basic Member
    Part of the reason these mags are hard to find is that people just don't buy a lot of them. I admit, I've got one mag for my bolt guns. They are not high volume shooters. I use them mostly for hunting. I just keep spare rounds in cartridge loops or in a pocket and reload the mag as needed. Now ARs and Glocks, I've got enough mags to never need to reload them at the range, all day.

My 110 varmint uses the same mag.

I've got a gremlin living under my box car. He takes things everyday. I can't find something everyday. Almost half my day is spent not finding what he took. Now when I put something away I take a picture of where I put it. I looked for over a year for lh 6.8 bolt I ordered one found it the day after the new one arrived.

Basic Member
    Those gremlins are smart too. Notice he didn't put the old one back until after you got the new one?

Many years ago, after the gremlin stole another part from me, I refitted my entire shop. I made bins for everything and labeled them. Tool chests. The whole thing.

Didn't make any difference. Those 8mm bolts still got mixed in with the 5/16 bolts. And the 6mm bolts I bought ended up in the bin for 1/4in pins (which was on the other side of the shop). Tools? About the only thing that changed is now I know when the gremlin visited cause there is a blank spot in the drawer or on the peg board.

In stock at cheaper than dirt. 66.32

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/sava...356551559.html
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.