Thread: 110 Trail Hunter

Basic Member

110 Trail Hunter

While looking for a donor action option I stumbled across the Trail Hunter at my local Academy Sports. I went to look at it but failed to measure the barrel nut to confirm that it is a small shank. I did confirm that it has 4.4" bolt spacing and top bolt release,with detachable magazine. It is a ported action. They had it in 6.5 Creedmoor and 308. It was $549 which I think is great

I have two questions:
    1) does anyone KNOW for sure the shank size?

2) which caliber of the 2 above do you guys think has the greatest resale value? They come threaded for a brake or suppressor.

If I sign up for email I get 10% off of my first purchase. I'm trying to save myself a trip to town just to confirm the shank size. Thanks

Basic Member
    Oh I forgot to mention they had large and small pistol primers! I got 1000 LPP for $42.99!

1)It is small shank

2)6.5CM

So. Whatcha building anyway?

Basic Member
    Thanks Pdog.
    I got all distracted seeing primers in stock. I didn't even look at the price,got to the register and it rang up $42.92. I figured $100 so I paid and got out quickly.
    Looks like I'll have a Houge overmolded stock with bottom metal and a 6.5 barrel for sale soon.

Basic Member
    I'm moving my 26" 22/250 barrel to a short action receiver to an accu stock with AICS bottom metal.
    It is presently is in a 112 Stainless long action with an extended baffle, BBR internal mag wood stock.
    I have everything except the action and accu stock recoil lug.
    When I'm done all of the left overs are being sold and I'll be done for awhile. I am going to retire soon and trying to get my gun stuff in order.
    Thanks for your interest.

That’s a nice looking rig as it sits too! I didn’t realize they made a closed top action(port like target action) in a small shank. Had me second guessing the shank size when I saw the port, but that definitely looks like a small shank barrel nut.
    Is your 22/250 barrel stainless or blued? If blued it won’t match the tungsten gray cerakote that’s on this action.

Basic Member
    It is Stainless Fluted varmint contour. The gun I handled look like matte to me. I wanted a stainless receiver but I'm tired of hunting one and at the price I'll probably come out way ahead once I sale my receiver and all the other stuff. I'm not sure what my receiver is worth, I have a pretty good idea on the rest of the stuff.

Basic Member
    Update confirmed that is indeed a small shank barrel. It is matte finish as well. I'll get my Christmas bonus soon so,all systems go!

Banned
    That is a nice Savage Action to build from. Might pick one of those up some time. I’m not big on the Tungsten, but I’ll just Cerakote myself in Armor Black. I almost chose Tungsten for my Chassis, but decided on Tactical Grey instead. Glad I did.

Good luck with everything. Looking forward to seeing your finished rig.

Team Savage
    Just a heads up........ KYGUNCO has the 6.5 for $473.99 with free shipping. I don't think they have the 308 in stock.

Banned
    Yeah, saw that. Good deal!

Team Savage
    I just ordered one of these from my local dealer for $560 in 6.5 PRC; Excited about the enclosed action. There's a good chance I will pick up the 308 version from Academy if the 6.5 checks out. Definitely will be sending the actions/barrels off to get nitrided after I break them in.

Basic Member
    MAJOR UPDATE!!!!
    They are on sale at Acadamy for $429.00 that is not a misprint. $429.00!!!
    Got a 6.5 Creedmore it has matte finish

Team Savage
    Yes I picked up a 308 at Academy in addition to my 6.5 PRC trail hunter. These are not the same ones listed on the savage website. These must be Academy exclusives because they have a matte finish instead of Tungsten cerakote, and have a different color Hogue stock. Either way I’m happy with the price.

That’s a great price!

What’s the muzzle diameter?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdog06 View Post
    That’s a great price!

What’s the muzzle diameter?
    .745 Threaded with a protector
    Your not on the way to Acadamy yet?

Banned
    I’m tempted for the Action. But I really want my next Savage Action to be from a Model 12 LRP. (The Stainless Target Action with a Mag opening.) I’ll would just try to unload the parts… Barrel, Stock etc. All I want is the Action. But, eh..

I managed to snag one for $429. Heck of a price. Now, because it’s such a new rifle, does anyone know where you can get an aftermarket stock/chassis for it?

No Academy’s near me or I probably would be…lol
    Like Dave I would want the action. Or atleast buy it knowing that in the not so distant future the action will make a great base to build off of. Basically Didn’t know they made a small shank closed top action, and now that I see it I want one.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdykes View Post
    I managed to snag one for $429. Heck of a price. Now, because it’s such a new rifle, does anyone know where you can get an aftermarket stock/chassis for it?
    Just do a Google search. There is nothing new as far as fitment from an Small Shank Long/Short Action from the last 15+ years. It’s a standard 4.40” Short Action or 5.062” Long Action depending on the cartridge you got. All the modern Chassis & stocks fit.

Are those hogue over molded the pillar or full bedding block? Depends on pricing I’d be interested in buying a stock. I’ve been looking at buying the magpul hunter but the hogue stock looks decent if it’s got the full bedding block.

Team Savage
    They are pillar bedded. They are still pretty stiff/solid despite a full bedding block.

Savageshooters, Gentlemen, Can anyone answer an important question about the Trail Hunter magazine? I own 2 Savage 10 Precision Carbines. They are bottom bolt release and use the all metal magazines. Does the Trail Hunter use the Axis Magazines or upgraded Axis II style magazines or the good old metal detachable magazines? I have 8 magazines and I want to know if I have to switch to the new Axis Style magazines if I buy a Trail Hunter.