I joined savage shooters yesterday. I have been reading the savage shooters forums for several years now, but never owned a savage firearm.

Yesterday I bought a savage precision target action with dual ports and a right bolt for $350.00 under the understanding that the action was new old inventory. It is clear to me now that it is used. I should have done more research, but hindsight is 20/20. It came with no paperwork, no box, no recoil lug, no barrel locknut, no trigger group and no trigger guard. Just a hangtag with $350.00 written on it.

I can tell now in really good lighting it is used because the metal along the front outer diameter of the action is slightly deformed outward. Not much, but I only caught it because I can feel it with my hand when I run my hand over the edge. I am not sure if this action came off a single shot Savage rifle and they decided to sell the action or if the action was built up into a rifle and then broken back down and sold as is. If I did not work with metal, I would not know better, but knowing what I know, there was definitely a barrel attached to this action at one time. It appears as if it was over tightened and the mating surfaces flared out the edges or the person removing the barrel was not good with hand tools and when loosening the action from the barrel had applied an offset pressure causing the metal to deform out.

Putting that information aside i decide to just accept it as a good deal, I did some googling to learn what exactly I had gotten myself into. It looks like I just need a few tools and an inletted stock to build a rifle. A set of go/no go headspace gauges, an action vice and a barrel locknut wrench. Possibly a torque wrench too, but maybe not.

Any information that might be good for someone with no experience with Savage's would be much appreciated.

I tried to copy some photos of the action, but I was only able to paste one photo and also the photos are way too big, so I deleted the photo. I will need to figure out how to make the photos smaller so I can load several up and not take up the entire screen doing so.