Thread: savage precision target action

savage precision target action

I joined savage shooters yesterday. I have been reading the savage shooters forums for several years now, but never owned a savage firearm.

Yesterday I bought a savage precision target action with dual ports and a right bolt for $350.00 under the understanding that the action was new old inventory. It is clear to me now that it is used. I should have done more research, but hindsight is 20/20. It came with no paperwork, no box, no recoil lug, no barrel locknut, no trigger group and no trigger guard. Just a hangtag with $350.00 written on it.

I can tell now in really good lighting it is used because the metal along the front outer diameter of the action is slightly deformed outward. Not much, but I only caught it because I can feel it with my hand when I run my hand over the edge. I am not sure if this action came off a single shot Savage rifle and they decided to sell the action or if the action was built up into a rifle and then broken back down and sold as is. If I did not work with metal, I would not know better, but knowing what I know, there was definitely a barrel attached to this action at one time. It appears as if it was over tightened and the mating surfaces flared out the edges or the person removing the barrel was not good with hand tools and when loosening the action from the barrel had applied an offset pressure causing the metal to deform out.

Putting that information aside i decide to just accept it as a good deal, I did some googling to learn what exactly I had gotten myself into. It looks like I just need a few tools and an inletted stock to build a rifle. A set of go/no go headspace gauges, an action vice and a barrel locknut wrench. Possibly a torque wrench too, but maybe not.

Any information that might be good for someone with no experience with Savage's would be much appreciated.

I tried to copy some photos of the action, but I was only able to paste one photo and also the photos are way too big, so I deleted the photo. I will need to figure out how to make the photos smaller so I can load several up and not take up the entire screen doing so.

Team Savage
    That’s pretty much all you need. You can get Savage pre-fit barrels, barrel nuts, recoil lugs, go/no go gauges and tools from Northland Shooters Supply. Really good group to work with. Just remember the target action should be a large shank but verify. For a trigger you will have to decide on whether you want an accutrigger, a red blade accutrigger or aftermarket. As far as I know, all of the aftermarket triggers use the factory sear except the Jard, so you will need to buy that separate. Gun shack.com is a good source for the sear as well as bolt heads, firing springs, etc. the stock may be the hardest item to locate, especially for a 3 screw target action. Most aftermarket stocks are set up for magazines. Sharp shooters supply sells stocks for the target action but I don’t know how long it will take to get one. You may be able to fine one used. You need to measure the distance between the outer 2 most screws because Savage has used 2 that I know of.

l’ve got a couple of accutriggers, I’ve got an Accustock that is set up for a drop box magazine (4.4 spacing) and I’ve got a Savage benchrest stock (3.4 spacing) I would be willing to work a deal on if you are interested.

Banned
    Welcome.

It would take a considerable amount of torque for that. Many of us are already torquing the Barrel Nut upwards of 80Ft.lbs. Which is fine & not even close to mushrooming the Action Tenon. This Action was only in 2 Rifles, the Model 12 Benchrest & Model 12 Palma. Or yes, it could have purchased as just the Action & built. Your Action is the Dual Port/Palma Target Action with 3.440” Action Screw spacing. There aren’t many options for stocks with the holes located in correct position. The Barrel Nut & Recoil Lug are no big deal as aftermarket examples of those are far better. But it’s ashame it didn’t come with the trigger. They were equipped with Red Safety Blade Target Accutrigger. A fine trigger. Also, part integral with the trigger is the Sear/Bolt Release, which Savage won’t sell to non-FFL holders, and it’s not available aftermarket except for the Jard trigger. So the Jard is an option. Or you will need to find a factory trigger with the Sear/Bolt Release used. They come up on EBay once in awhile.

Lastly, although Savages are very DIY friendly, they are not AR15’s! They aren’t put together like Legos where everything fits every Action, Always. If you have no experience tinkering with firearms I don’t recommend just tearing into this..better to spend some tine researching… a lot! Also, check to see if another member here might be close to you. There are some exceptionally knowledgeable hobby builder/gunsmiths here with all the tools, who are always happy to lend a hand. I for one will help another member put together a build any time, and never charge a red cent.

Thank you for the wealth of information and thank you for the offer. I have a right hand blank GRS Sporter laminated rifle stock I plan to have Long Rifles Inc in Sturgis, SD do the inletting on. I am thinking I will buy a regular accutrigger and buy the lower weight springs and go that route being the 6 oz. target accutrigger group are not availableto buy seperately. The other parts I found rather quickly on the sponsored parts places here on savage shooters.

Well I ordered all the needed parts to make a complete rifle except for a stock. I decided on 6 creedmoor. I had a hard time deciding though. I was between the .243 Winchester or 6 Creedmoor. I chose the 6 Creedmoor only because all the .243 Winchester rifles I have shot over the years have never given me a ragged 5 hole group at 100 yards. I am curious to see if the 6 Creedmoor will give me a 5 shot ragged hole group. I just need to come up with a stock now. I have a GRS blank in the closet, but it will be nine months before I get it back from being inletted. Hmmmmmm...If I only had a metal lathe, milling machine and a synchrowave...I could fashion up a skeleton stock.

Basic Member
    Call Savage. Tell them you want to order a complete trigger and sear. Make sure it is the target red trigger action. If they will sell you that trigger, it is likely the best value in a decent trigger.

The rest is just getting a barrel, appropriate stock/parts/etc. good luck and welcome!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ;518414
    Call Savage. Tell them you want to order a complete trigger and sear. Make sure it is the target red trigger action. If they will sell you that trigger, it is likely the best value in a decent trigger.

The rest is just getting a barrel, appropriate stock/parts/etc. good luck and welcome!
    NO, Savage will not sell any trigger parts whatsoever unless a person has an FFL. In years past a person could fill out a waiver to order the parts. However, in recent years they will no longer sell any trigger parts without an FFL.

Well, I am down to the barrel as far as parts go to assemble the rifle. It supposedly going to be here today, but the tracking information says its on delay in some unknown town on opposite side of Texas as me. I posted a thread a short bit ago about the Jard 3 position safety selector. I called Jard and spoke to them only to be left feeling like I was smoking funny stuff. The one that I recieved from Jard is way to big to fit into the action tang. I tried to source the 2 piece safety selector, but all leads I contacted say I have to use the 3 position safety selector with the Jard trigger. I cant get my head wrapped around how I am supposed to use a part that physically does not fit into the action rear tang. Has anybody else had this experience or maybe I am not aware of another safety selector I am supposed to be using with the action.

Team Savage

Have your local FFL order the target trigger assy from Savage, they will require your FFL provide the action serial number. Savage will only sell the target trigger to an FFL and only for actions that left the factory with one.