Thread: Savage 110 Ultralight 6.5 Prc Trigger options

Savage 110 Ultralight 6.5 Prc Trigger options

Hello, I have a 6.5 prc in a savage 110 Ultralight. New savage owner, I don't like the Accu-trigger.

Is there a way for me to take the "Accu" part out of my trigger or do I need to replace the trigger with a different trigger ?

Banned
    Yes, you can simply remove the Accutrigger safety blade. However, it is a Safety. A very good one in fact, as it’s impossible for the rifle to fire unless the trigger is pulled. If the Safety Blade is removed & the trigger is set too light, the Sear can fall when closing closing the bolt and there is a chance of it igniting the primer causing an accidental discharge.

Why exactly do you not like the Accutrigger?

Can you do it? Yes. But like Dave mentions that blade is a safety mechanism. So I won’t tell you to do it.
    If you dont like the accutrigger then I suggest you buy a Timney or Rifle Basix SAV-1 and replace the entire accutrigger. You could also recoup some of your money by reselling the accutrigger in our classified section.

Team Savage
    I'm also curious about why you dislike it. Not arguing, genuinely want to know. I've had 3 of them. My 300wsm and 300wm accutriggers are stellar. No creep, light, glass rod. My 7mm08 was crisp but a bit heavier. It may have just been adjusted heavier but I didn't hang on to that rifle so I don't know.

Do you just not like the looks of the blade?

Basic Member
    Some people just don't like blade triggers. I understand. Since my Accutriggers are adjusted to minimum pull I have had quite a few instances where the trigger has 'tripped' while chambering a round. I also like two stage triggers so the blade 'feels' right to me.

BUT, I would get an aftermarket trigger rather than mess with the factory one. It is not designed to adjust the amount of sear engagement. Like Dave said, it could release the sear at a time that would be dangerous to the user and/or rifle.

Banned
    I agree with Charlie. I like 2-stage triggers. Having that initial take-up & sort of rest for the finger just feels right. But I get it. My good friend in AZ hates the Accutrigger as well.

But yes, the reason the Accutrigger has virtually no creep is the Sear/Trigger contact is minimal. While this gives a nice feel it is prone to follow after closing the bolt when set too light. (What people call lock up. Without the safety blade, the striker will impact the primer when this happens. Which presents the chance of Accidental Discharge if it has enough energy to ignite the primer.

That said, this is always a concern with light triggers. Triggers under 2lbs should only be used in controlled target shooting. I’ve read articles of shooters with extremely light triggers (under 1lb), who don’t even insert the bolt until time of shooting. And racking the bolt with authority isn’t a practice with featherweight triggers either. Instead closing the bolt with extreme delicate pressure is the norm I’d think. (Although I’m sure there are those who like to tempt fate, convinced their 6oz trigger would never follow a bolt closing, LOL!) All this is simply nature of the beast with any light trigger, but especially so going super light with the Accutrigger. The plus is the Accutrigger will never fire unless the trigger is pulled. It’s not a maybe, it’s an absolute fact. It’s one of the most accident proof triggers there is.

Hey, I ordered a Timney for the rifle so more than likely ill put the trigger up for sale.

Ive never had a accutrigger and I have multiple other guns that are set at 2.5lb trigger pull. I have a Kimber Montana in a 280 AI and it has a factory trigger other than that all my other guns either have a jewel or a Timney. I like to find my trigger and gently squeeze. May sound very weird but thats just how I was taught to shoot, Just a personal preference that I can't make myself like even after shooting it on the bench for a hour.