Thread: Jard replacement triggers

Team Savage

Jard replacement triggers

They have been available for a while, how are they working out. Super improvement over a Rifle Basic? As good as a SSS? Wiil the sear fit into every 110 action or is there some fitting necessary? Do they really adjust down to 6-7 oz? Do they compare to a Jewel in a Rem 700?

Banned
    There are enough reviews out now to form a well formed opinion. I was very hopeful when they came out; excited even. And I was dead set on getting one as Jard was the first supplier to address a handicap of Savage triggers. The stamped steel Sear/Bolt Release. Many people seem to be very happy with them, & I’m quite sure they can work well. However, Jard seemed to drop the ball on them in a way. Serious Savage enthusiasts aren’t loving the Jard triggers. Those who compete on a regular level don’t seem too impressed. There seem to be some serious adjustment issues, where one trigger may be ok & another won’t adjust properly no matter what. I’ve read of the suffering from a gritty pull, Sear falling on on closing bolt and heavier than anticipated trigger pull. The overwhelming review has been they are no better than a RifleBasix/Timney & not as good as the SSS. Several who compete with Savages still prefer their Red-Blade Target Accutriggers.

I want to say they fit all Post-‘66 rifles. And a most emphatic No, they do not measure up to a Jewel or TriggerTech on a Rem700. Remember a trigger is not solely about the weight a trigger pull gauge tells you. Honestly, I don’t even own a trigger pull gauge. Because I don’t care what the machine says. I care about how nicely the trigger pull feels to my index finger. A pleasant trigger pull consists of take-up, creep, break, over-travel & overall smooth feel. (Which can be thrown in with creep.) I’ve been setting up factory triggers in many different firearms for over 2-decades. As I said, I was excited about the Jard in the beginning. However, after watching their performance for the last few years, and seeing the overall disappointment, I continue to use my modified Accutrigger. But as I did say, some people have been very happy with the Jard. You may be also abound you decide to get one. Just because they are not worth it to myself and many others, doesn’t mean it will be the same for you. I recommend doing as many of us have. Continue researching as much as you can on it & decide if it might appeal to you.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bsekf View Post
    They have been available for a while, how are they working out. Super improvement over a Rifle Basic? As good as a SSS? Wiil the sear fit into every 110 action or is there some fitting necessary? Do they really adjust down to 6-7 oz? Do they compare to a Jewel in a Rem 700?
    I think if You google Savage Jard Trigger, most of the stuff on this site will come up. I was one of the first to purchase one and it is still a disappointment for My purposes. I did run in to a rifle smith who said he got the “creep” out of one. I have no idea what he did. Mine still resides in a box on a shelf.

Banned
    I believe with a little work, they can be made to perform exceptionally well. It has the makings to be a good performer. Just think it was executed wrong.

Reminds me of setting up 1911 triggers. When building a custom 1911, you buy an aftermarket Trigger, Hammer, Sear & Disconnector. Now, I put all Nighthawk Custom components into the last one I built. So Nighthawk Custom makes sincerely Top Tier 1911’s. Arguably the best! And so, as are their parts. All Billet parts & they were quite expensive. However, these parts aren’t Drop In by any stretch of the words! Each part must be painstakingly hand fit. But… once fitting is accomplished by a knowledgeable builder, the user is rewarded with exquisite trigger performance. By contrast though, if these high end Billet parts are just stuck in the frame as is, or with incorrect fitment, & still somehow function, the result would be a mushy, creep-ridden, heavy trigger with too much overtravel & gritty through the whole pull. Just sloppy! It’s just strange how in one aspect if good money is spent it’s expected to perform absent flaw. On the other hand, in a different setup, considerable money is spent with a complete understanding that more work will need to be performed on the parts prior to a positive outcome.

Basic Member
    I am the opposite of the posts above. I like my JARD trigger and this is the 2nd one that I purchased. I haven't had any issues with either one. I purchased the last one about 5 months ago when I completely rebuilt my model 10. I don't recall when I purchased the first one, but it's not on a Savage. I could be a couple years old. I don't shoot competition, just coyotes and prairie dogs. At least once a year, I remove the triggers and place them in an ultrasonic unit for cleaning then a dab of oil and it's ready to go.

I do have 2 Jewels as well. Both Jewells have a much lighter pull than the JARDS do. The Jewels are around the 2 oz mark and the JARDS are 7 ozs. 5 ounces between the two can really be felt, but is not an issue. The Jewel is just a lighter pull than the JARD.

If needed I would purchase one again.

Basic Member
    I like my Jard (expensive one). I feel it gives me a great light trigger, but not as good of adjustability as my Jewels. SSS is said to have been a great trigger, but last time I spoke to him, he was not going to make them again. Too bad because from a great rifle perspective, the trigger, including most of the customs, hold this rifle back. Especially now that the nut and floating bolt head is available on the Rem 700 pattern.