Thread: old model 110

old model 110

Have old 30-06, model110, like new barrel, but want to replace w/7x57AI barrel.

Advise on how to proceed w/build would be appreciated.

Stash of 7mm bullets prompts build.

thanks

Basic Member
    Easiest is to talk to Northland Shooters Supply and have them set you up. They list a Shilen option in 7x57AI but, may not have a barrel in stock in that cartridge so you'd have to wait a bit.

Banned
    The only replacement part needed is the barrel. Everything else can be reused; the bolt head & such. Although it is a good idea to go a head & replace at least the Barrel nut incase it’s damaged on removal. Most like replacing the recoil lug with an aftermarket machined lug as well. But it’s not mandatory. Then there are a few tools needed. Both specialty & normal shop tools. An Action & Barrel nut wrenches are required as well as Headspace Gauges. At least the Go Gauge.

Charlie is correct that Jim at NSS can set you up with everything needed. Except for any shop tools/supplies needed. A Bench vice is handy, brake clean or other solvent, rags & such. If you haven’t, I recommend researching the articles here. Also, there are many online tutorials. Both videos & blogs. I recommend watching & reading as many as you can to equip yourself with a firm understanding of the procedure before trying it. I recommend against flying blind.

Not sure where you’re located, but let us know. If one of us are local you may be able to borrow the tools needed or even meet up with one of us to walk you thru the barrel swap since it’s your first one.
    Then you just need to get the barrel and headspace gauges.
    Might be a long shot, but worth a shot if you don’t plan to swap enough barrels to warrant buying all the tools.

when you say "OLD" do you mean the rear sight is mounted in a bulged portion of the barrel?
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

old model 110

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger View Post
    when you say "OLD" do you mean the rear sight is mounted in a bulged portion of the barrel?
    thanks for all the replies!
    Have other 06's and just gifed away a model 537 CZ in 7x57 to a nephew, the 537 model was interim model as Brno changed to CZ.
    Savage I have, is like new, just never shot, hence the change in caliber, as I no longer have a 7x57 rifle.

Will heed the advise, and do my homework first.
    Thank-you!

Love my 7x57ai. Easily does anything a 280 will do. Dont shoot it much since changing my 110 LA to 284 Win which shoots amazing

Yes, to the 280 cal.
    280AI was a consideration as well, in fact I am still kinds scratchin my head about it yet.
    Perhaps that caliber would be the practical choice, as the components would be an easier find.

Read somewhere awhile ago that Mr. Ackley claimed his best improved caliber was the 7x57.
    Information like that refuses to leave my brain.

Basic Member
    Ever since reading about Wm Bell back when I was in my teens the 7x57 has been dear to me. I've always wanted a between the war Mauser in 7x57 with receiver peep sight and mannlicher stock. The closest I got was my old deer rifle, a Rem 788 in 7mm-08 that I modified with a mannlicher stock and blind mag (but it had a scope instead of open sights).