Thread: New Savage 110 Trail Hunter.... Hogue Overmold stock is a fail!

Team Savage

New Savage 110 Trail Hunter.... Hogue Overmold stock is a fail!

Hi All,

First and foremost let me say, Savage Customer Service was great and they're making it right!

I bought a new Savage 110 Trail Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor for my grandkids. It looked nice when I picked it up today. I took it home and took it apart to check it out and clean it up. You can check out the pictures. The rear aluminum pillar is not machined completely. I'm not really sure how they got it to go together!

I should also mention, the rear trigger guard screw was stripped too.

I assume this is more on Hogue(maybe) than on Savage..... I don't know..... but like I said, It was a 10 minute wait(on hold) for Customer Service and a 5 minute conversion and a new stock is on the way!

Could be the curse of the 6.5 Creedmoor!

It's a great reminder to always check a gun out before you go to shooting it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0845.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	10095Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0844.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	10096Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0843.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	10097

Basic Member
    Yes indeed - always run through the gun when you buy new or used. Savage does have InstaService, however I can't imagine the type of employee who would actually put that together and call it good.

Wow thats abysmal. I must admit when i first read the post I was thinking yeah yeah yeah another hater poo pooing on savage. This thing had some light machine marks and some yahooovertightened a wood screw and is blaming the manufacturer.
    OBVIOUSLY not the case.
    I would think that would have had to get by Quality Control twice. Once at Hogue where it was made and then again at Savage where it was installed to build a rifle.
    Really a sad state of affairs.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Reminds me of my days running a wire mfg plant in the auto industry. Having a QC dept doesn't mean anything if the workers are not motivated and ENABLED to do a good job in the first place.

Basic Member
    If the company ( any company ) culture is such that it doesn`t put an absolute premium on before sale QC and AFTER the sale customer service....... this is the kind of stuff you get. All it would take is top management actually publicly CELEBRATING the discovery internally of a few screw ups ( EVERY company has them, even Tikka) by the QC crew and it will quickly become an important part of the company`s operations.

Team Savage
    I'm not positive that is a defect. I have a brand new overmolded stock for a 110 and it looks the same. The installation instructions seem to indicate that pillar may need to be removed and flipped depending on the rifle it's being installed on.

Team Savage
    I guess I'm kind of curious how the receiver would fit around the raised features on the rear pillar? I'm heading to the man room to take it apart and see!

Team Savage
    Went to the man room to check it out!

Well......I'm somewhat confused.... It looks like the receiver rides on the three raised areas. I'm not really sure how stable that is but they're smarter than I am when comes to design and function. To be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about it and I think I'll throw it in a Oryx Chassis I have laying around here.

The instructions do mention having to rotate the front pillar for a short action, but the instructions i found, i couldn't find anything about the rear pillar. not saying they're not there....

"rpjepsen" thanks for the heads before I went to far down the rabbit hole!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jlnft View Post
    Went to the man room to check it out!

Well......I'm somewhat confused.... It looks like the receiver rides on the three raised areas. I'm not really sure how stable that is but they're smarter than I am when comes to design and function. To be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about it and I think I'll throw it in a Oryx Chassis I have laying around here.

The instructions do mention having to rotate the front pillar for a short action, but the instructions i found, i couldn't find anything about the rear pillar. not saying they're not there....

"rpjepsen" thanks for the heads before I went to far down the rabbit hole!
    Yep the Oryx would be going on.

Banned
    Shoot! Swapping for the Oryx would have been my first priority if I already had it.

Team Savage
    100% agree the Oryx is the better option but it's a little heavy for my grandson's. They'll be shooting from a rest most of the time so we'll see how it goes........ we'll have fun!

The rear pillar is notched to clear the trigger and sear if I remember right. A chassis or any other stock is going to have to provide that clearance also.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

How did the pillar look in the new stock when it came in? Thanks!

I just today picked up a trail hunter in 300wm and the rear pillar looks just like the above picture - horrible - cannot be correct - did savage fix it?

Team Savage

Read Big Honkin Jeep's reply above...

savage is telling me this is 100% correct - online support form response time was about one hour

does not seem right

whats the hogue stock weigh?