Thread: Terrible accuracy in 6.5Prc elite precision?

Terrible accuracy in 6.5Prc elite precision?

I'm really disappointed, I payed near twice the price of a Rem long range to get a heavier barrel in the ACC chassis on the assumption it would shoot better. Two boxes of ammunition have yielded 2 light primer strikes (Winchester match ammunition), mate used the win match 6.5 creedmoor in his Lithgow LA105 without issue and had tight groups while zeroing.

Passed this rifle to another experienced shooter at the range who shot using an F class type rear rest and the 10 shot string was about 5MOA, like mine, I shot my Lithgow LA105 6.5CM for my second stage and got a regular score, Brett shot 50% centres and only dropped two points across stages shooting his son's 223 in wind at 500 yards.

The scope used did work perfectly on another rifle previously.

Appears to be a couple of gouges in the rifling a couple of inches back from the muzzle too. I will retest with two other scopes and Hornady and federal ammunition but I suspect I will be asking for a refund. A $5500 AUD rifle should shoot an order of magnitude better than this and not have light primer strikes. I was really excited to get this thing, I would have been $4500 ahead throwing a howa action in an oryx chassis and getting a new barrel chambered in 6.5prc.

Barrel had a fair bit of carbon and copper come out when I patched it (assuming there would only be a bit if oil in it) before ever firing too, is it usual for them to run a lot of test firing?

Has anyone else experienced this and overcome it with rectification work from Savage?

Not sure what your issue could be there, but if the two boxes of ammo you ran through it were the same ammo it could just be that your barrel just doesn't like that load at all. Still though, 5 MOA groups is a bit much even if that were the case. In any event, definitely try a couple different loads as it may just be a very picky barrel. (don't know if the PRC is picky in it's own right when it comes to loads)

As for the bore being dirty, that's normal. Savage puts several rounds down through each rifle at the factory - first to proof the barrel and then later to verify function before it get a serial number and is boxed up.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Slides View Post
    I'm really disappointed, I payed near twice the price of a Rem long range to get a heavier barrel in the ACC chassis on the assumption it would shoot better. Two boxes of ammunition have yielded 2 light primer strikes (Winchester match ammunition), mate used the win match 6.5 creedmoor in his Lithgow LA105 without issue and had tight groups while zeroing.

Passed this rifle to another experienced shooter at the range who shot using an F class type rear rest and the 10 shot string was about 5MOA, like mine, I shot my Lithgow LA105 6.5CM for my second stage and got a regular score, Brett shot 50% centres and only dropped two points across stages shooting his son's 223 in wind at 500 yards.

The scope used did work perfectly on another rifle previously.

Appears to be a couple of gouges in the rifling a couple of inches back from the muzzle too. I will retest with two other scopes and Hornady and federal ammunition but I suspect I will be asking for a refund. A $5500 AUD rifle should shoot an order of magnitude better than this and not have light primer strikes. I was really excited to get this thing, I would have been $4500 ahead throwing a howa action in an oryx chassis and getting a new barrel chambered in 6.5prc.

Barrel had a fair bit of carbon and copper come out when I patched it (assuming there would only be a bit if oil in it) before ever firing too, is it usual for them to run a lot of test firing?

Has anyone else experienced this and overcome it with rectification work from Savage?
    If you looked in the barrel and found gouges inside, why keep shooting the rifle ?
    I don't know how a rifle could be sent out of the factory with gouges inside, especially an elite model, but stuff does happen and Savage will take care of it.
    Get an RMA and send it back.

SJC

Banned
    Does seem excessive, even if it just doesn’t like that load, but as was said, I’d try some other ammo. Also, some new Savage barrels just need some rounds to settle down. 100, 150rds maybe; just normal shooting & cleaning. But if by then it’s still a pig then yeah, it’s likely the barrel & you’ll need to decide what to do.

As for getting a refund, you’re likely out of luck there. Warrantees make good, but they aren’t in business to give refunds unfortunately. Good luck & let us know the outcome.