Thread: 110 APEX Hunter XP vs 110 Hunter

110 APEX Hunter XP vs 110 Hunter

Hello there, new member but have been around awhile and have read and enjoyed this site for many years. No question this site is 'the' most comprehensive on Savage firearms on the world wide web. Even Savage Arms directs people here.

My question is, I searched and read the Savage website and cannot seem to understand the difference between these two rifles 110 APEX Hunter XP vs 110 Hunter, other than the length of barrel and slight stock difference. I'm referring to the barrel and action specifically, not the accoutrements like scope mount and rings. The action and barrel seem to be identical. Or perhaps those 'are' the only differences (barrel length and stock design) and I'm over thinking it.

The real confusion for me is the 110 APEX comes with extras, yet it's $150 cheaper. Any light shed on this brain twister would greatly be appreciated.

Yeah it’s definitely weird cause you’d expect a package gun to be more money.

The Apex Hunter XP has the EGW scope base and Vortex Crossfire scope, but has the factory cheap plastic stock.
    The 110 Hunter has no optics, but has the Accufit Accustock.
    The action and barrel are basically the same, even in some calibers one might be shorter but that shouldn’t affect price really.

So I don’t think you’re overthinking it. You’d think the scoped package would be higher, but that just tells you how much Savage values their accufit stock.

Banned
    You aren’t over thinking, but it makes perfect sense when it’s thought about from a different perspective. They do share an identical Action. However, all 110s do. The only differences in new Actions being Long or Short, Large or Small Shank & TBR or BBR Bolt Release. (There is also the Open & Port style Actions although that changes nothing for fitment) The Apex with its cheap plastic stock & scope are one of the Value models Savage does. The scope & rail aren’t really extras. They are basically throw-aways. Once a person becomes serious about their rifle, that stock & scope will be the first things to go. A Big Box outfit like Savage buys these scopes & rails for pennies on the dollar. But the Accufit system; now that is an actual investment for them. They had to put considerable money into R&D, pay likely several engineers & the money into testing. R&D for new product is quite expensive.

Does that make it easier to understand?

So it's the stock that really makes up the difference - scope/mounts/rings add marginally. I didn't realize the stock was that much more in terms of quality and fit. Thanks or the replies, gentleman. Fyi, my goto is a Sako 7mm RM, but I'm considering an inexpensive light(ish) bolt action for white tail and these two models checked the boxes.

Basic Member
    I`ll say this, for an introductory, very first rifle, my 110 APEX Storm in .223 has been perfect for me. Because I found the combs to be too low for me ( non-Accufit, obviously ), I simply added strap on pads. I did that also with my Model 12 LRPV which is hardly an introductory gun.
    As we all know, the Crossfire II is hardly a top of line Vortex scope, but it has served me well for the intended purpose ( rifle intro, range fun, occasional coyote hunt ).
    For a relatively inexpensive, light(ish ) bolt action for white tail, I think both guns could do the job fine in an appropriate caliber.

Team Savage
    You guys are covering the Accufit part of the stock, referring the swappable LOP and cheek pieces, but isn't a more substantial difference the "Accustock" full length Aluminum bedding block? Is there also a difference in the bottom metal and magazine with metal vs plastic?

Team Savage
    For the record I was going to send this via PM but TakDriver doesn't have enough posts for PMs yet. So please nobody take this as spamming YT videos on the forum.

TakDriver, I believe the Apex XP gets the same or very similar stock to the Lightweight Storm. Starting at 4:08 in this video is a close up comparison between that stock and an Accustock.

Hey Chris, thanks a lot for the video. That's what I was looking for. Cheers

Team Savage
    Glad it helped!

Hello everyone! I am a new member who is trying to buy a .223 Rem caliber Savage after falling in love with my first Savage, a 22lr Mark II BTVS.
    I have been searching and reading around, including this thread, which opened my eyes quite a bit, and rather than open a new thread with my question, I thought better to insert it here, although it is not Axis but Apex related. Unfortunately, I have found online offers that portray 110 Apex Storm XP and Apex Hunter XP rifles as if they would have the Accufit and Accustock features. The model numbers associated with these offerings are in the vicinity or even match (57340 for the Apex Storm) the numbers from Savage web page. However Savage do not claim in their webpage that these 110 Apex models carry the Accufit and Accustock features, but I wonder if there may be variations of those 110 Apex models that could have those characteristics. So my question is: Am I correct assuming that every 110 Apex offering will lack the Accufit and Accustock features?
    I'd rather have those than a cheap scope and rail.
    Thank you for any advice.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ55555 View Post
    Hello everyone! I am a new member who is trying to buy a .223 Rem caliber Savage after falling in love with my first Savage, a 22lr Mark II BTVS.
    I have been searching and reading around, including this thread, which opened my eyes quite a bit, and rather than open a new thread with my question, I thought better to insert it here, although it is not Axis but Apex related. Unfortunately, I have found online offers that portray 110 Apex Storm XP and Apex Hunter XP rifles as if they would have the Accufit and Accustock features. The model numbers associated with these offerings are in the vicinity or even match (57340 for the Apex Storm) the numbers from Savage web page. However Savage do not claim in their webpage that these 110 Apex models carry the Accufit and Accustock features, but I wonder if there may be variations of those 110 Apex models that could have those characteristics. So my question is: Am I correct assuming that every 110 Apex offering will lack the Accufit and Accustock features?
    I'd rather have those than a cheap scope and rail.
    Thank you for any advice.
    Don’t ever feel bad to make a new thread to ask your questions. It’s actually preferred that members create new threads as to not steer the Original Poster’s thread off topic.

But to answer your question, you are correct. There is no 110 Apex with the Accufit/Accustock system. You are also correct, having the Accustock is much better than any of the XP, Scope & Rings package. Try looking for a standard 110 Hunter. Not the Hunter XP. Once again, even the 110 Hunter XP does not use the Accustock, as this thread has shown.

Dave,
    Thank you very much for your quick reply.
    Best regards,
    JJ

Team Savage
    Yes. Thanks Dave. The wealth of knowledge that gets shared here by you others is appreciated!

Basic Member
    Concerning the advertising. Savage sometimes makes special combos for big stores. Cabelas, Walmart, etc. Sometimes they get a special designation of some sort, but, it is confusing because it is not a Savage stock item. My original Axis was a Walmart special with a heavy barrel.

If the stock number doesn't fit the Savage one you might do some digging to see what it really is. Tough to do cause the folks who sell these frequently don't know much about them.

Banned
    Indeed. Same here. My first was a model 110 or 111 combo chambered in 30-06. It was the black synthetic stock and 3-9X40 Simmons scope sold at Kmart. Although I don’t believe it was a Kmart special. I still think of that first Savage often. I fell in love with that rifle. At the time, in my youthful ignorance, I called the 30-06 “The Finger of God!” LOL! Oh how naive & non-learned I truly was then. It was the 90’s, I was 18yo & it was so much fun though. I didn’t know about Savage then as I do now(obviously), or what Savage ownership had in store for me. Good times…good times.

Basic Member
    Funny how my Axis was the same for me. After decades of pistol shooting I decided to try long guns again. Saw the Axis with a heavy barrel in .223 and figured it would be a cheap way to shoot. Right and wrong :) Yep, it was cheap to shoot, until I realized how accurate it could be. So, reloading saved me and hooked me on accurate rifles. I still use the action for my cast bullet shooting.