Thread: Model 12 Trigger Adjustment

Basic Member

Model 12 Trigger Adjustment

I'm new to Savage rifles. I have a new Model 12 F Class in 6mm BR.

The Savage owner's manual says that the trigger can be adjusted "DOWN TO BELOW ONE POUND" (Their caps). I can't seem to get mine adjusted to less than two pounds per my Lyman trigger gauge. This is with the adjustment screw all the way out (counter clockwise). Is this common, or do I have a problem with my trigger.

Basic Member
    This is what I do,so I’m not responsible for anybody else,the rear spring that you adjust I cut off a couple of coils off the spring,always work for me!

If the F class target trigger won’t go below 2 lbs then something is wrong that needs to be figured out before cutting off the spring. With that trigger you shouldn’t need to do anything to it but adjust it, and 8-12oz should be attainable.

Since it’s new you could sent it back to Savage

Basic Member
    Does your F-Class have a Precision Target Trigger with the red blade?
    If so, it should adjust down to 6 oz. My 12 LRP came from the factory with the Precision Target Trigger set at 10 oz.

It is always possible that your trigger gauge is inaccurate.
    A friend had a trigger gauge that we compared to mine because he thought my trigger was lighter than his and his gauge consistently measured 6 oz heavier than mine when we tested on two different triggers.

The Varmint/Target Accu-trigger series on the LE, Target, and Varmint models can be adjusted down to 1.5 lbs. - if you go below that, they easily lock up if you put any sideways pressure on the blade. All of my LE and Varmint triggers are set at 2 lbs.

The heaviest Accu-trigger Savage makes has a lower limit of 2.5 lbs. I'm pretty sure that your F-class didn't come from the factory with that trigger.

Basic Member
    It has the orange (red?) trigger blade. My trigger gauge is accurate and I've used it many times before. The trigger definitely feels like a 2+ pound pull. I think I'll take pdog06's advice and contact Savage.

Banned
    Yeah, you got something going on. If you are indeed adjusting correctly, no reason it shouldn’t at or below 1lb.

Does the sear have a small dimple on it right under the bolt release thumb lever? It should. Just wanted to make sure it has the target sear.

Basic Member
    I don't see a dimple. There's a square indention on each side. Is that what you're referring to?
    [IMG][/IMG]

Banned
    I circled the Dot on the Sear in Red from your picture. Yes, that is the Target Accutrigger. How does it feel when you pull the trigger out of the stock, like it is here?

Basic Member
    Thanks Dave. Good thing it wasn't a snake.

The round dimple on the side of the bolt release lever. It’s there plain as day. Right under where you put your thumb to remove the bolt.

Just wanted to make sure it had the right sear, which it does.

Just to be clear you’re adjusting the rear spring counterclockwise using the accutrigger adjustment tool? Correct?

If so I still say call Savage. They will most likely send you a shipping label and you can ship it back to them to repair or replace.

Basic Member
    Yep. The dimple is very obvious now that I see it.

I did turn the rear spring counterclockwise using the adjustment tool, but no joy. I sent a message to Savage on their website and I'll call them Monday. Hopefully, they'll just send me a trigger without having to ship the whole rifle back.

Thanks for all the help and advice!!

They will not send you a trigger or trigger parts, or advise you in any way on thing to try. Liability on their part.

Banned
    It’s probably something very simple. Too bad you’re not near me. I’d take a look at it & have it squared away for you. But if your name is any indication of your location… Oklahomy ain’t exactly close to SE Pennsyltucky. LOL!

Basic Member
    Thanks for the offer Dave, but that's a little far for a weekend trip. I might just shoot it like it is. I hate to think about shipping it back to Savage. Can you buy springs for these triggers?

Basic Member
    Mine likes 12oz and up--lower it was not consistent and I think you will find that is about the sweet spot

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Jim View Post
    Thanks for the offer Dave, but that's a little far for a weekend trip. I might just shoot it like it is. I hate to think about shipping it back to Savage. Can you buy springs for these triggers?
    It’s already using the lightest spring combination. That’s not the problem. Yeah, I don’t blame you…I wouldn’t want to send it to them either. Check the leading Surface edges of the Trigger & Sear. Look for burrs or steel flashing causing the trigger to drag. Again I’ll ask how does pulling the trigger apart from the stock? Like it is in the picture. Does that still not feel any lighter?

Basic Member
    The trigger pull is the same in or out of the stock.

Up to you, but I know a lot of us would take the trigger assembly off and inspect it. Make sure everything fits normally and is not binding. Like Dave said check for burrs or anything that could cause it to hang up.

Other than maybe they put a dimple on the wrong sear and it’s really a standard one, or it has the wrong springs, not sure what else it can be.
    Who knows. Maybe after taking it all apart, inspecting it, and putting it back together it will work normally…lol

Basic Member
    Thanks again pdog. I might take a closer look at it and see if I can find a problem.