Thread: Quick Technical Question ( Twist Direction )

Basic Member

Quick Technical Question ( Twist Direction )

Clockwise or counter for Savage rifles? Thanks.

Banned
    All Savage rifles are Right hand or, Clockwise Twist. In the United States just about every barrel you’ll come in contact with is Right Hand Twist. But I believe many manufacturers in Europe use Left Hand because…well, they most things DUMB! LOL! J/K. Seriously, it doesn’t matter which way the twist is.

Basic Member
    Thank you sir.

Basic Member
    A few years ago there was some talk about left hand twist barrels and the supposed benefits.... but it never really interested me and haven't heard about it lately. The main point (that I remember) was that the bullet entering the rifling wants to try to twist the rifle as it starts its spin and that a left twist would be more beneficial for a right hand shooter- because it would twist the gun into your body instead of away from you. I do know of a barrel maker that offers left twist- but must have been hype/marketing because is seems to have gone away.

Knowing whether your rifle is right-hand vs. left-hand twist is important in making a ballistic calculation to determine the bullet drop based on the direction of a crosswind. With a right hand twist and a wind moving across from right to left, the bullet will rise due to the magnus effect. My Hornady Ballistic calculator has yielded a .5 MOA change in elevation with a 10MPH cross wind at 600 yards which will take you out of the X ring. Conversely, a right hand twist with the wind moving across from left to right, the bullet will drop more.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FClass12 View Post
    Knowing whether your rifle is right-hand vs. left-hand twist is important in making a ballistic calculation to determine the bullet drop based on the direction of a crosswind. With a right hand twist and a wind moving across from right to left, the bullet will rise due to the magnus effect. My Hornady Ballistic calculator has yielded a .5 MOA change in elevation with a 10MPH cross wind at 600 yards which will take you out of the X ring. Conversely, a right hand twist with the wind moving across from left to right, the bullet will drop more.
    Pretty sure the Kestrels factor this in with elevation solutions.