Thread: Lightweight Compact 7-08

Lightweight Compact 7-08

Good morning guys, new to the forum. Savage Arms recommended this forum to me. What are your recommendations for a short barrel compact 7-08 with options for full size LOP (13.5” +). I mainly hunt Tennessee hardwoods, so would need accuracy out to 200 yards max, with most shots under 100 yards. Does Savage make anything that fits these specs?

I have something similar to what youre asking about. I just took an older model 11 in
    .308 as a project and cut and crowned the barrel at 16". ( actually over time it went a lot further than that as i cant leave well enough alone.)
    I'd definitely stick with .308 for such a project though primarily for ammo availability and versitility. Theres no difference in recoil between the two with like projectiles and no real ballistic advantage until you get way way out there. Much further than you plan to shoot.
    Someone else may come along with additional information, advice, or suggestions.
    Good luck
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    I had a 7-08 Rem 788 many years ago. Despite the looks and poor mag design it shot really, really well. I used it for deer hunting in the thick woods of upstate NY.

Looking at the Savage web site I noticed the Axis Compact. If you could get Savage to send you a stock insert it could be set with a 'normal' 13.75 LOP. I suspect that would be the most economical way to get there. I did notice there weren't any other choices for a 20" 7-08. If you went with .308 then the world kinda opens up to you and you can get something like an Apex hunter, Carbon Predator or Tactical, etc, etc, etc.

Banned
    OP wants 7mm-08. Andy, several people are going to chime in with answers to questions you didn’t ask. And recommend what they believe you should get. The only Shorter Barrel options (barrels 20” or less) are the 110 Scout, the 110 Haymaker, the 110 Hoghunter, the 110 Tactical & the 110 Magpul Hunter. None of which are offered in 7mm-08. My recommendation would be just get the standard 110 Hunter with a 22” barrel in 7mm-08, and have the barrel cut & crowned to whatever length you choose. Have if they barrel cut & crowned is not expensive.

Basic Member
    Dave, the Axis compact is a 20" barrel. Just has 12.75 LOP. To me it would be easier to make that stock longer than trying to find someone local to shorten a barrel. I don't really trust anyone local to me after seeing some of their work at the local range.

Team Savage
    How about the 110 Lightweight Storm? Full size length of pull with 20 inch pencil profile barrel coming in under 6 lbs?

Basic Member
    That's interesting. When I did a search on the Savage site yesterday and selected 7mm-08 the Storms did not show up. Now they do. So, good pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    OP wants 7mm-08. Andy, several people are going to chime in with answers to questions you didn’t ask. And recommend what they believe you should get. The only Shorter Barrel options (barrels 20” or less) are the 110 Scout, the 110 Haymaker, the 110 Hoghunter, the 110 Tactical & the 110 Magpul Hunter. None of which are offered in 7mm-08. My recommendation would be just get the standard 110 Hunter with a 22” barrel in 7mm-08, and have the barrel cut & crowned to whatever length you choose. Have if they barrel cut & crowned is not expensive.
    The affordable 110 APEX Hunter as well as the little more expensive Lightweight Storm - both in 7mm08 caliber and 20" barrels.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Andy S. View Post
    Good morning guys, new to the forum. Savage Arms recommended this forum to me. What are your recommendations for a short barrel compact 7-08 with options for full size LOP (13.5” +). I mainly hunt Tennessee hardwoods, so would need accuracy out to 200 yards max, with most shots under 100 yards. Does Savage make anything that fits these specs?
    Sounds like others have listed most current options.

Another would be perusing used racks in gun and pawnshops. Savage did make what you are looking in the late 80s as I bought a 110 in 7-08 for my wife with the exact specs you list. At 5', the LOP was too much for her so my gunsmith cut the stock to fit her and it worked perfectly. Never know what you might find in the used racks!