Thread: A new one on me...

Basic Member

A new one on me...

At range the other day I fired a round no problem, the second, third rounds all duds. Bad primers? Got it home and decided to take the bolt apart to give it a good cleaning. Removed the BAS, bolt handle....but I couldn't remove the cocking piece pin, the cocking piece sleeve acted as though it was welded fast to the cocking piece. I had to use a small diamond wheel to the cut the head off the cocking piece pin to get the firing pin assembly out. It was then I noticed the firing spring was inside the cocking piece sleeve a good inch or so, the cocking piece lock washer was in three or four pieces!
    I've been working on Savages for at least twenty or more years but its first time I've seen a cocking piece lock washer break!
    Numrich to the rescue!
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Banned
    Had one broke in 3-pieces, and one shave the flat section & spin on the striker pin. That’s probably what happened to yours. It turned a bit then caught the edge of the flat section of the striker & locked up. I keep a couple spares. Yes, Numrich. And Gunshack has them as well. Great places.

Had one break years ago...my only one also.

Basic Member
    Well it looks like I'll have make or buy a new cocking piece pin. The two I have will drop into sleeve's keyhole but lack the under cut slot it lock past it. Oh well, that's project for another day.
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Banned
    Hey Bill. I went about making a couple from Titanium some weeks back. I also have the original. I’m using one of the Titanium pieces I machined. I’d be happy to give you the other Titanium pin I made or if you’d rather the original.

However, there are two options, having different head heights based on the Bolt Sleeve. Which bolt sleeve does yours have with or without the recess in the back?

With the recess.

Without Recess

Basic Member
    The two I have lack the undercut section below the pin's head. Now if your wiling to part one of yours I'd more than happy to to pay for it.
    Thanks!

Banned
    No reason to pay.. haven’t you seen me around enough to know I don’t look to make a buck on everything?LOL! No, I’m happy to give you one Bill. Just PM me your address & let me know if you want the original or the other Titanium part I made. The picture shows both.

Basic Member
    I can't thank you enough.

Banned
    My pleasure Bill.

Basic Member
    Those washers only break one way......it's caused by a pierced primer. The hi pressure gasses push the firing pin assembly back like a piston till it bottoms out, shattering the washer.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."