Thread: Weirdness with the barrel threads.

Weirdness with the barrel threads.

I pulled off the 30-06 barrel today in preparation to true the action and install a light Palma 8x57 barrel for a fun project I’ve been wanting to do for a while now.

When I broke the barrel nut loose, I noticed a bunch of tiny little round objects come out of the threads. I was able to get the action off the barrel tenon no problem but the nut locked up hard half way off. Needless to say I’m a bit perplexed by what this could be. Feels metallic but I didn’t try to get them to stick to a magnet. Almost looks like fine spherical gunpowder, but like extra fine.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Basic Member
    Blasting media. I swear they are putting it in there to act as a locking agent. Thats one of the worst ones I have seen. Most of the ones on mine were in the receiver threads and not that far out.

Fairly common thing, but that one pictured is gummed up pretty bad. Several of mine have had some of those little balls that causes everything to jam up, but reversing and going forward usually clears it out enough to allow removal.

Basic Member
    Just keep cleaning and working nut back and forth, clean real good Whelen you get apart it will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nixon View Post
    Just keep cleaning and working nut back and forth, clean real good Whelen you get apart it will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks. I was able to get the action off.. Luckily those threads were clear. The nut on the other hand, even with vigorously trying to clear back and forth, and getting it hot enough that the rem-oil I was using was smoking off, still locked up tight before I got it all the way off. Sucks because I was hoping to hold onto the barrel and nut so I have another caliber option for "free" but at this point, its just a throw-away for me.

Banned
    Yeah, ridiculous monkey wrench Savage is throwing in to dissuade home builders. Pathetic!

Basic Member
    Before you declare the receiver 'free of grit' is to make sure you clean it well and inspect it closely. All it takes is a few of those little things in the threads to mess it up good. Mine looked clear at first glance but application of contact cleaner removed quite a few more.

Basic Member
    Looks like 2400 pistol powder. Haha.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Yeah, ridiculous monkey wrench Savage is throwing in to dissuade home builders. Pathetic!
    Not saying you're wrong.... but if that's the case then Savage is shooting themselves in the foot. That's the biggest thing they have going for them! I'd hope there's another explanation (even if it shows corner cutting) other than doing it on purpose.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Whynot View Post
    Not saying you're wrong.... but if that's the case then Savage is shooting themselves in the foot. That's the biggest thing they have going for them! I'd hope there's another explanation (even if it shows corner cutting) other than doing it on purpose.
    Could be that as well. Just plain ol’ laziness on their part.

This again....?

Those little sphere's are debris from the rotary tumbling process Savage uses to polish the barreled action assemblies (barrel, action, recoil lug and nut assembly). Just like you get grains of sand off sand paper as debris when you use it, these sphere's are the debris that comes off the abrasive media Savage tumbles the assemblies in. The parts are tumbled as an assembly to ensure a uniform finish, and the parts aren't broken down/disassembled at any point after this process that would allow the spheres to be removed. Savage is in the business of selling complete firearms, not catering to the whims of DIYers, so the fact that some of the sphere's ultimately find their way into the barrel nut threads is of no concern to them as 90+% of the rifles they sell will ever be modified by their owners, and it's surely not a deliberate deterrent on Savage's part as Dave jokingly suggested.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03441.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	10090 Rotisserie cartridge that holds 42 barreled action assemblies. This cartridge rotates within the large vibrating hopper that contains the media.

Name:	2Mvc-012f.jpg 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	10086 Lowering the cartridge into the tumbler.

Name:	2Mvc-013f.jpg 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	10087 First media grit results in the typical matte finish we're used to seeing on Savage firearms.

Name:	DSC03437.jpg 
Size:	112.0 KB 
ID:	10088 A second finer grit media was used on assemblies that were to have the high polish finish of the Model 14/114 Classic series rifles. The high polish finish was dropped sometime in the early 2010's.

Name:	DSC03438.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	10089Another shot of a cartridge of assemblies being tumbled.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Banned
    Yeah, that makes sense. So just laziness, cutting corners. The good ol’ Big Business method. sigh*

I’ve often thought what a pleasure it would be to have a Savage Action made to specifications as custom Actions are machined. And the parts like the Accutrigger machined from Billet materials & likewise to higher specs. Oh how I’d love if I could afford a CNC machine.

Basic Member
    You could easily enough. Could even take something like a Rem 700 and modify it for a floating bolt head.

There really isn't anything different about a Savage receiver from any of the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Yeah, that makes sense. So just laziness, cutting corners. The good ol’ Big Business method. sigh*

I’ve often thought what a pleasure it would be to have a Savage Action made to specifications as custom Actions are machined. And the parts like the Accutrigger machined from Billet materials & likewise to higher specs. Oh how I’d love if I could afford a CNC machine.
    How the hell is it being lazy or cutting corners Dave? These are mass production guns, not $3k+ semi-custom boutique rifles like Cooper's or Dakota's.

Get your head out of your keister and rejoin us in reality.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Meanie

Basic Member
    It would love to tour the Savage factory. I'll never be able to do it but it would be very interesting to see all of the processes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Snerdly View Post
    It would love to tour the Savage factory. I'll never be able to do it but it would be very interesting to see all of the processes.
    Not as good as being there in person, but this is a Brit touring the plant a few days ago. He also toured the Hornady plant in Nebraska which he's already posted on this channel, as well as the Leupold plant which hasn't been released yet.

Well, this was the end result of all my efforts. It ended up locking up tight and you can probably see why. I ended up using a hacksaw to remove the barrel nut, because there was no getting it off otherwise.

I'm not too salty about this. Its a bummer because it would have been nice to have a 30-06 barrel laying around, but this thing is going to be getting an 8x57 tube anyways. I'm just thankful it wasn't the action threads that galled up. Those are 100% fine.

Banned
    Thank goodness it didn’t strip the Action threads like that. Yeah, sucks the barrel couldn’t be saved. Could have kept it or given it to someone, or of course sold it for a buck. But could have been worse. Glad alls well for you.