Thread: How to shoot 6 .5 CM

Basic Member

How to shoot 6 .5 CM

I am having no luck at all with the Axis. It is probably 2.5-3 MOA. This rifle has considerably more recoil than my others so is there something I am doing wrong or could the rifle just be a dud? Shot my 223s and the one was from 9/16"-7/8", the other 3/8"-5/8", several groups with both.

Basic Member
    I had a learning curve when I went to .308 precision shooting. I also went from .223 to .308. Took a LOT more to get a good position and to repeat it. The extra recoil also meant I got tired faster. One reason I got a 6BR was the recoil factor. I shoot mostly cast bullets in the .308 now.

One thing I did was to go to lighter bullets. I stuck with 155's instead of the 175's. While I liked the 175's for 1000yd shooting the recoil did not make me happy. I even considered going to 125's for closer range work (300yd). But, cast bullets work so well for me that I haven't done that yet :)

But...my model 12 did not shoot that great out of the box. I was lucky to get less than 2" out of it. I found out it was a copper mine and did not like it. It was also temperature sensitive. When cleaned of copper (every 50 rounds or so) it did well. Temp was monitored loosely (with my hand :) ). I could have named it Goldilocks. Not too hot, not too cold :) FWIW, with cast bullets it is almost as sensitive to temps, but, they are more tolerant of powder fouling.

Banned
    Normally I would tell the member in your place to go through the normal paces: check all the hardware. Remove barreled-action from stock, make sure there is no loose flashing material on the edges & such. And reinstall & torque the Action screws. Same for the scope rail & rings hardware. But I’ve known you around here long enough, that you aren’t a new enthusiast. Oh, I would also shoot maybe a 150rds before changing anything permanent, just to make certain everything is settled down.

In a situation like this, where it just won’t print well with anything and you indeed have tested several types of quality ammunition, I myself would bed the stock first. Because it’s an easy & inexpensive mod. If it still prints horribly you may be correct. Likely would be the barrel.

Basic Member
    I haven't tried any other bullets since large rifle primers are nearly impossible to find. I would like to try a lighter bullet but until primers get available I guess I will wait to shoot again.

A 6.5 isn't considered really a hard recoiling caliber but I think on some big calibers you are supposed to hold down on the gun. I never do that on my 223s or 243 but would that help?

Basic Member
    Look up CFJunkie's posts on his 6.5 and the changes he made. Might ask if any of the setup combinations/loads he tried did what yours is doing.

I got some small rifle primer brass for the .308 so I could keep shooting it. Also makes loading press setup easier since the 6BR and .308 share shell holders and small rifle primer. I know there are some brands of 6.5CM brass with SRP pockets.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I know there are some brands of 6.5CM brass with SRP pockets.
    Peterson makes brass with LRP and SRP.

Are you loading your own or using factory ammo?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    Peterson makes brass with LRP and SRP.

Are you loading your own or using factory ammo?

I have only shot factory ammo but that is only because of lack of primers.

I looked at several places for 6.5 CM brass with the small primer pockets but had no more luck with that than finding large rifle primers. The reloading situation isn't as bad as it once was but certain things, like large rifle primers, are nearly impossible to find unless you want to pay double or more what they are worth.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Snerdly View Post

I looked at several places for 6.5 CM brass with the small primer pockets but had no more luck with that than finding large rifle primers. The reloading situation isn't as bad as it once was but certain things, like large rifle primers, are nearly impossible to find unless you want to pay double or more what they are worth.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...roductId/76155

Basic Member
    I just last week broke out the 6.5CM for the first time in a couple of years. Having a Total Shoulder procedure a few years ago I was exceptionally sensitive to recoil. I found some 85gr bullets and loaddata for same and proceeded to load up a box. What a difference; felt recoil wasn't bad at all. Next is the 107's and see how much they bark.
    Actually the recoil wasn't much more than my 6 ARC.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Snerdly View Post

Alpha Brass. Toss up between it & Lapua.
    https://alphamunitions.com/product/6...e-primer-copy/

Basic Member
    Problem- Thin, light barrel on my 6.5 Axis seems to be the problem for best accuracy? But if the right load is found, near 1" @ 100 is possible.

My 6.5 Creedmoor- Average accuracy, on 18 power with 140 MB did average 1.09" @100 yds 5 shot groups, 6 groups. Not great, average, ok for hunting. Hornady factory ammo shot worse.

Photo/accuracy from American Riflemen Magazine. 308.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20231203-231456_Chrome.jpg  
    Last edited by 243winxb; 12-04-2023 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Add photo