Thread: Model 12-10 Receivers?

Basic Member

Model 12-10 Receivers?

Been following and trying to learn as much as I can about the Savage lines and currently have 2 rifles. A Model 10 blind mag and a Model 11 DBM. I have had visions of building a Bench type gun for use in our informal bench league but have been stuck on a few issues. One being which Receiver to use, the 10, the 11 or would like a Target Model 12 single shot.

I have been using the Model 11 with a Model 12 26" Varmint barrel in 223 with a Boyd's At-One stock and would now like to move up. I do really like the action and the Blind Mag of the Model 10 but also very much intrigued by the Model 12 Single Shot action. So can anyone point out the major differences in the receivers other than the Magazine and action bolt spacing? I am led to understand that the Single Shot receiver is more robust and rigid than the other two. Then as a single shot action is there a feeding issue or anything special needed to feed different cartridges? Say from 223 to 6mm or 30cal?

Anyhow, right now not ready to move up to a High class receiver and really like the flexibility that the Savage offers. My other major hold back is still undecided on a cartridge. Fast Twist 223, 6mmARC or a 6mm BR-Flavor?

Banned
    The Model 12 Target is a small-port style Action. (Shrouded ejection port). The single shot Model 12 is the stiffest of all the Actions. However, all Actions are the same within generations of each. The only thing that has separated them was Large Shank vs Small Shank. The model 10 & model 11 are identical when stripped down to bare Actions. And all parts interchange again, between Large/Small Shank.

Now, while the Model 12 Target is the stiffest Action, that does not mean it’s going to be more accurate. Stiffness simply presents a constant in marked precision.

Basic Member
    Thanks again Dave, though it happens my Contemplation/Procrastination has cost me once again. Already just sold.

So no real advantage between the three. I do already have the Model 12 Target trigger spring installed in both my 10 and 11. Now I may just have to go out and buy that 6ARC barrel I've been wanting and put that on the 11 and move that Model 12 Barrel to my about shot out Model 10.

Basic Member
    Just depends on how serious you are about the competition or how far down the rabbit hole you are going.

The stiffer tgt action and larger barrel shank would make a difference as would the true tgt trigger. But, how much of a difference? Hard to put a number on it but might be good for another tenth over a std action and modified varmint trigger? Is that enough of a difference that you want to pay extra for it? Since you have a std action setup how accurate are you now and would you even see the difference in your shooting? I know I probably would not. I am still only a half MOA shooter on most days.

Basic Member
    Well when 50% of the shooters in this fun league are shooting Defiance, Curtis, Impact Precision or blue printed Remingtons actions. I believe there are just two others that are using Savage actions and they are both Target Model 12's and then 2 or 3 that are using Ruger actions.

At 100 yards with what I have I can keep up and score with them. At 200 yards I start falling behind and at 300yds it is a struggle to keep up. Part of that I believe is a factor of the 223 vs the 6mm.. The 2 guys that have won this league in the past 2 years are now already on their 3rd and 4th rifles and barrels since then. I'm not that dedicated.

Right now, after missing out on this action I am wishing I had an At-One stock on the model 10 also as this would make the decision much easier. As the 10 would get a new 7 twist 223 and the 11 would be getting that 6mmARC barrel.. League starts in 10 weeks.

Banned
    Yes, that is 100% due to the difference in 223 and any one of the target 6mm cartridges.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Yes, that is 100% due to the difference in 223 and any one of the target 6mm cartridges.
    Even with a 1:7 twist and a 85gr VLD I still believe I would be outclassed at this event. But it is fun being the only one competing with a 223 and being almost able to keep up with the much more expensive rigs.

Banned
    Yes, 223 can hang (very loosely), but it cannot really compete effectively against the 6mm at distance. I can liken it to the sport bikes I was into riding & working on. I had a very well modified 600cc bike that could again “hang” with the Liter bikes. However, there was no chance I could ever beat the power & speed of them. Very similar situation.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    However, there was no chance I could ever beat the power & speed of them. Very similar situation.
    But wasn't it fun to give them the run?
    In the long run I believe it helps me be a better shooter.

Basic Member
    I am not surprised the .223 hangs in fairly well.

I'd have a conversation with Fuj and see what he thinks. He probably has more experience with different cartridges in the 'short' game than most.

Quote Originally Posted by KMW1954 View Post
    Anyhow, right now not ready to move up to a High class receiver and really like the flexibility that the Savage offers. My other major hold back is still undecided on a cartridge. Fast Twist 223, 6mmARC or a 6mm BR-Flavor?
    If there is any inkling of being even semi serious in the bench game, Find a used Savage 12 target rifle
    in 6br. As for the 223 ?? It's good but, people go nuts on twist rates and bullet. The .224's are making a
    come back and some have un-retired their .222 Remington's. If you believe you need a 7 twist rate, stop
    right there and look else where. Winning combinations in the .224 area is 50 to 55 grain bullets and 12 or
    14 twist barrels, in the short game. What ranges are these competitions at ??.....A little note about the
    Savage 12 and 6br. Normally it comes with a 30 inch barrel. If it is still stock and have little money, cut the
    barrel back to 24 inch and re-crown it. If you have some loose change, get a Shillen Select prefit. And don't
    waste your money on aftermarket triggers. The Savage red blade is all you need for the package.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Fuj' View Post
    If it is still stock and have little money, cut the barrel back to 24 inch and re-crown it. If you have some loose change, get a Shillen Select prefit. And don't waste your money on aftermarket triggers. The Savage red blade is all you need for the package.
    Wise words.

Basic Member
    What ranges are these competitions at ??....

If you have some loose change, get a Shillen Select prefit. And don't
    waste your money on aftermarket triggers. The Savage red blade is all you need for the package.
    Thanks for taking interest in this, your experience is openly accepted.
    This informal league consists of about 20 participants and lasts 10 weeks. We shoot rotating distances of 100 - 200 - 300yds at different targets each week. The first 3 weeks we shoot IBS Official Hunter targets of 100,200,300yd then we move on toself designed targets which here are a few ppictures.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230128_121257.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	9999

This is the first target after the IBS and it is a Cold Bore target at 100yds.First two shots are at the top Cold Bore target, then one shot each at the center square targets, from there the bottom row targets are 5 shots each, all or nothing. All 5 shots must be in or touching the target or that target does not count.

Name:	20230224_123044.jpg 
Size:	129.8 KB 
ID:	10000

Following week is this target shot at 200yds. Any shots into the shaded area do not count.

Name:	DSCN1004.jpg 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	10001

This was last years week 9 target which was shot at 300yds, 2 shots at each sub-target. Then lastly the week 10 target is for groups and is a combined shoot of 200 and 300 yds. with 5 shots onto each target. Each distance has 2 sub-targets and the smallest group of each is ranked against the others shooters. Last year this target set the final standing for the top 5 shooters.

Basic Member
    As for the 223 ?? It's good but, people go nuts on twist rates and bullet. The .224's are making a
    come back and some have un-retired their .222 Remington's. If you believe you need a 7 twist rate, stop
    right there and look else where.
    If you have some loose change, get a Shillen Select prefit. And don't
    Yes I have been enjoying shooting the 223. I find it challenging, economical and comfortable to shoot. As I said I believe it has made me a better shooter, besides I never did like following the crowd. This fall I have migrated from a 69gr bullet to the 60gr VAMX and it is looking very promising from my 1:9 twist. Would still like to move the the Shilen 7.5 Twist 4 groove barrel and try some 80gr bullets.

So either that or a move to the 6ARC again with a Shilen barrel. I already have the bolt head for my Savage and also have brass and all the reloading tools to load it.

Also as stated both my Savage have had the Model 12 Target trigger spring installed and it has made a difference. Only I may swap them around this winter as the one in the Model 10 seems smoother and lighter.

Banned
    Lighten your safety blade spring as well. And if able, flatten & polish the trigger/sear mating surfaces with a stone. I do a complete overhaul on the Accutrigger including these elements & using entirely different springs, Titanium side play shims & adjustable overtravel stop. These elements transform the standard Accutrigger, making it a pleasure to use.