Thread: Savage Axis XP Project gun

Basic Member

Savage Axis XP Project gun

My wife gave me a Savage Axis XP in .300blk for my birthday last week. I'm also looking to get a second barrel for it in 7.92 x 33 Kurz.

Any thoughts on a barrel maker that has 8mm barrel blanks?

I know, I'm nuts for wanting such an oddball caliber, but for coyotes out to 200 yards, I think it will work.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Banned
    I have to ask, why? 8mm Kurz was never popular to begin with. But now, it’s just absolutely obsolete. I would understand if you had an actual Sturmgewehr 44 & just wanted something else in Bolt Gun along side it. Is it a Silencer thing? Is that just your bag? Again that’s fine, but if you’re into the whole short case with big heavy bullets going very slow thing, I’d recommend doing a 8.6mm Blackout as sister cartridge to your 300blk. Easier to find brass, bullets & reloading info. As well as I’m sure Barrels. Just my take.

Basic Member
    I know the cartridge is obsolete, but I'm planning on ordering a PSA STG-44 when they become available. I have brass, bullets from 123gr to 200gr, a set of dies, and 1000 empty cases.
    I may have jumped the gun on the reloading supplies, but they were available, so I bought them. I want a spare Axis barrel as a backup just in case PSA turns the STG-44 into vaporware,
    which knowing my luck, will happen.

Banned
    Man! You really went all in there, didn’t ya? I’ve done did that once or twice when I was a kid. Focused on XYZ before dealing with ABC. Yeah.. had a feeling it was something like that. Well, ok. If that’s what you’re after, kudos. It’s just not a very great cartridge, compared to really anything it would compete with. And when the 223 & 7.62x39 exceed it’s performance, (The 223 far exceeding it.), just hope it doesn’t lose its luster too quickly for you partner.

And as for PSA leaving people high & dry so to speak, I think you hit the nail on the head. It’s been in development for quite some time. But maybe they will release it. Problem is, it’s going to be incredibly expensive & for all that money, my home built AR15 will still serve it lunch any day of the week!

I wish you luck & success on all accounts.