Thread: Talley rimfire scope mounts

Basic Member

Talley rimfire scope mounts

Posting about the integrated ring & base setup that Talley has been making for some time now. Unlike Leupold & Burris who generously post very detailed specs on their rings & mounts, Talley does not. I see that for the Encore they have centerfire and rimfire models. Does anyone know the difference? The only difference between a typical 1" rifle scope vs rimfire would be internal: parallax. Not really expecting forum members to be a reference on the Talley part of this but is there anything different about an Encore rimfire barrel itself that would affect the base? Is it standard 1" diameter at the breach like all of the others?

edit: as soon as posting I realized the title doesn't reflect that I'm asking more about the barrel but I can't edit - oh well.
    Last edited by Ed K; 10-30-2023 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Thread title comment

Team Savage
    must have to do with the bore off center, negative angle to compensate

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
    Posting about the integrated ring & base setup that Talley has been making for some time now. Unlike Leupold & Burris who generously post very detailed specs on their rings & mounts, Talley does not. I see that for the Encore they have centerfire and rimfire models. Does anyone know the difference? The only difference between a typical 1" rifle scope vs rimfire would be internal: parallax. Not really expecting forum members to be a reference on the Talley part of this but is there anything different about an Encore rimfire barrel itself that would affect the base? Is it standard 1" diameter at the breach like all of the others?

edit: as soon as posting I realized the title doesn't reflect that I'm asking more about the barrel but I can't edit - oh well.
    The contour at the top of the barrel where the base mounts is likely the difference as far as a scope base. Here's a pic of a factory Rochester stainless Encore 22 barrel on the left with a standard Encore blued barrel on the right. I have the standard Weaver #410 base mounted on the 22 barrel. It works fine, even though the barrel is obviously flat on the mounting surface, not rounded. The standard barrel is rounded under a base, of course. That's my guess, anyway. Might want to call Warne to verify.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by North Country Gal View Post
    The contour at the top of the barrel where the base mounts is likely the difference as far as a scope base. Here's a pic of a factory Rochester stainless Encore 22 barrel on the left with a standard Encore blued barrel on the right. I have the standard Weaver #410 base mounted on the 22 barrel. It works fine, even though the barrel is obviously flat on the mounting surface, not rounded. The standard barrel is rounded under a base, of course. That's my guess, anyway. Might want to call Warne to verify.
    Maybe your "guess" is about 100% likely from what I see. Had never laid eyes on a rimfire barrel and as they say a picture is worth 1000 words. By the way the reason I was asking is because Talley has them marked 75% off at $15 in case you want a better fitting mount for your barrel. Me? I was looking to use on a round centerfire barrel so I will pass. Thanks, Ed

Basic Member
    You are very welcome. Thanks for the tip on the rimfire mount.

Basic Member
    I bought the Talley rimfire version and yeah, much nicer fit. Again, thanks for the tip.

This Encore 22 LR barrel has been interesting. I bought it sight unseen off of e-bay. Mounted a scope on it and took it to the range. Serious problem with extraction from the first round. I could just pull CCI SVs after a couple tries, but my preferred Eley, I had to pry out with a pocket knife. Too frustrated to even check for accuracy, so I took the barrel home and it sat for awhile. One rainy day, I got around to checking the chamber, and sure enough, very rough. Took me an hour of polishing, test firing and more polishing, but now it extracts all brands of ammo, no problem.

Set it aside, again, but finally packed it along with some other guns on a range trip. At the end of the session, I gave it a try with the Eley subsonic HPs, because the Exemplar I was shooting just before liked them, too. First two groups at 50 yards, just under half inch, so I got serious and went to work with one more group.

I think this barrel will be good company for the Exemplar.

Looks like you have a good shooter, I didn't realize there was a difference in the mounts until reading this thread.
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Congrats on getting the barrel/chamber straightened out and got it to shooting good. Enjoy.

It stinks that you should have to work on a new barrel but they are not all ready to go right from the factory. Kudos to you for hanging in there ,recognizing the problem and fixing it. Thus giving the barrel a true opportunity to shine.

Basic Member
    Thanks, guys. Yeah, that accuracy was worth the little bit of work.

Quote Originally Posted by North Country Gal View Post
    Thanks, guys. Yeah, that accuracy was worth the little bit of work.
    By the way, Welcome to the forum!
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Basic Member
    Thank-you. Years back, I used to post on the now extinct Specialty pistols forum, but eventually sold off most of my specialty pistols when I was offered prices I couldn't refuse. I've been building the collection back up, recently, but this tine around, just concentrating on my favorites in each category.