Thread: Need more weight in the 'Tupperware' stock.

Basic Member

Need more weight in the 'Tupperware' stock.

Need more weight in the 'Tupperware' stock. What do you recommend?
    My new .223 bolt (Savage Axis II) has a heavy barrel (man it is heavy... not just fat) so it is even more out of balance than a normal rifle with a plastic stock which I knew would be the case. Just for bench shooting.
    I presume I can take off the butt pad. So what do I put inside the stock that will be solid and stay in place?

Basic Member
    You can put cement, plaster of Paris or epoxy. I know.or someone who used dirt.

On my 7-08, I used epoxy in the butt stock and on in the forearm to stiffen them. If using epoxy, then use the stuff made for counter tops.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    You could also use lead shot in the epoxy for more weight.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Depending on the open voids, you could fill it with lead shot. Once you get the weight you want you could finish filling the open space with either expanding foam or epoxy.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lonestardiver View Post
    Depending on the open voids, you could fill it with lead shot. Once you get the weight you want you could finish filling the open space with either expanding foam or epoxy.
    That's the ticket! Thx!

How much weight do I want (never messed with this.)
    Right now the back end is like an empty pop bottle compared to the front end. Balance point is 2+ in front of the mag well.

Basic Member
    The amount of weight you want is up to you.
    Add some and see how it feels. Adjust until you get it to balance where you want.

Wouldn’t hurt to shoot a few rounds to see how the balance is when you are on target too before you seal up the area with foam or epoxy.

People have been using rockite/ quickcrete type products to stiffen/ add weight to the axis stock since they first came out. On the ones I’ve done I’d didn’t fill the forearm up to the top of the reinforcing grids. Nor did I use near as much in the stock as txtrout shows. The rocketed did stiffen both the forearm and wrist area and did add a little weight. I liked the Rockette stiffened stocks better than Boyd’s stocks. These were older original axis stocks.

Basic Member
    Yes you can take the butt plate off. You will need a clear epoxy kit from, hobby lobby. A 1/4 inch drill bit and drill. Pull your butt plat off. Plug the holes by the trigger gaurd. Mix as much as you want for weight and fill. The fore stock you need to cross drill to each compartment. Fill to the top of each. Gun will weigh about 2 more pounds and be sturdier.

Basic Member
    This is some great ideas that I never even considered. Thanks for the thread!

Basic Member
    If you think you want more weight just drop in some fishing weights to the mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't drill the compartments however I did heat score the interior so the epoxy would have a rough surface for adhesion, also utilized black steel bb's as weight and black powder dye which I mixed in the 2 part epoxy so its all black.

How much weight did any of you put in the butt stock? 2 pounds? 3? More? Less?
    Tolerance is the death of civilization.

Basic Member
    I used Rocktite in my Axis, filled to a couple inches from butt plate and top of ribs in forearm. With scope and sling and loaded mag - weight was around nine pounds if I remember right.

Basic Member

Get a Dead Mule.
    It tamed my 8mm RM.
    https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/recoil-pads-reducers/100-straight-dead-mule-recoil-reducer/

https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/...ecoil-reducer/

Basic Member
    I used this method on a Savage stock using #4 shot and expanding foam. Worked well. I eventually replaced the stock but it did what it was supposed to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nixon View Post
    If you think you want more weight just drop in some fishing weights to the mix.

way cheaper then a bag of shot that you many not ever use all of it
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Tiekmir View Post
    How much weight did any of you put in the butt stock? 2 pounds? 3? More? Less?
    Add until you approve of the balance, were all different on recoil sensitivity and how much weight we want to hike with. add some sort of filler to prevent shifting before shooting
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member
    And you can make your own 'dead mule'. Just get appropriate size tube insert a lead weight with a 'weak' spring behind it. Fill the rest with a viscous liquid. I think even differential lube would work (90wt). Could also be some sore of silicone, etc. Seal the tube and insert in the butt stock.

We used to fill motorcycle handle bars with lead shot and oil to dampen the vibrations in the bars.

I used bb's and lined it with kitty hair fiberglass body filler. I wrapped the barrel with thick plastic so it didn't lock to the forend. I filled the cavity in the rear half way with filler and once cured I used expanding foam to finish filling. Much better balance with weight on the bottom of the stock.