Thread: Savage, build a better mag...Please

Savage, build a better mag...Please

I have 3 newer model 110's and all 3 have mag issues. I love the rifles, but the mags are lacking, and Savage needs to design a better magazine. I have learned how to tweak them and make them work, but not everyone likes to tinker with stuff like this. I have contacted Savage multiple times and they always without hesitation send me a new mag, but it's no better than the current ones. Take a look at CVA Cascade mags, or Tikka T3x mags, they work well and are a very simple design. So with the popularity of the Savage 110-line, Savage needs to do better in this department, much better.

Basic Member
    I`m afraid you`re spittin` into the wind, my friend. Probably the only thing that would move Savage to listen to its customers and design a better magazine ( and improve other aspects of their rifles that people have complained about for years ) would be for even more former Savage buyers to move to the Tikkas, Bergaras, etc. of the world and let Savage know in no uncertain terms as to why they`ll no longer be buying a Savage.
    Met a couple of young men at the shooting range that work for Daniel Defense. I asked them if Daniel purchases competitors rifles to see who might be " building a better mouse trap " and could help them improve their products. They answered emphatically in the affirmative. I wonder if Savage does the same?

Banned
    Switch to AICS and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Switch to AICS and be done with it.
    OK Dave, can you explain how I do that and keep my current 110 stocks. All 3 of my rifles are short CF actions 2 are 223 and 1 is 350 legend, and basically I believe Savage uses the exact same factory mag for both these calibers as I can't distinguish a darn thing between the mags. I have them marked so I know what is what, but I can swap them around between rifles and they still kind of function in Savage's rudimentary mag functioning way.

Basic Member
    I totally agree about mags. I am of the opinion that magazine designs should be 'open sourced' and standardized. Rifles should follow something like AICS standards. Pistols, even though a little more difficult with the grip angle thing, but, there is no 'good' reason for a full size semi-auto to not share mag design with many of the other pistols on the market.

Basic Member
    PS I wonder how difficult it would be to set up a CNC router to cut mag wells for an AICS setup.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
    OK Dave, can you explain how I do that and keep my current 110 stocks. All 3 of my rifles are short CF actions 2 are 223 and 1 is 350 legend, and basically I believe Savage uses the exact same factory mag for both these calibers as I can't distinguish a darn thing between the mags. I have them marked so I know what is what, but I can swap them around between rifles and they still kind of function in Savage's rudimentary mag functioning way.
    Bottom Metal?

Bottom Metal?
    Well I searched for bottom metal for well over and hour, and it's quite daunting finding something that fits. Savage has made a lot of changes to their stocks so sourcing parts can be a bit confusing. Maybe it's just me who is having mag issues with 3 newer Savage rifles, maybe not? But after sleeping on it and pondering on it a bit more, I have a different plan. Place my 110's way in the back of the safe and pull out a more reliable rifle, and not look back. Happy trails Savage!

Banned
    Oh ya… de err super-dee-duper SMOOOOVE!!! Und all dat smoovyness must mean somzing, yah?

Vell… Gud luck on ze Tikka forum, ya.

Basic Member
    You might try this. Load the mags to capacity and let them sit for several days. I don`t know, but it may have a positive impact on the mag springs. It seemed to help mine.

Team Savage
    Underdog, what exact problem are the mags giving you? My only "newer" Savage is a 300WSM and so far so good on feeding. But I'm curious what problems to be watching out for. My beef with Savage is not drilling the scope base holes straight...

Can you elaborate on “has issues” please?

Banned
    In your case, the pressure of the loaded mag being stored was likely enough to tweak the feed lips in the particular fashion required..Luck of the draw. I familiarized myself with & learned to fit & adjust magazines quite a long time ago. Being familiar with & able to diagnose a magazine issue can save one quite a bit of frustration. However, as can be seen, not everyone has the patience for savage things.

Besides, the OP “fixed” his issue to his satisfaction. Namely, ignoring the problem and going with a different rifle. LOL!

Basic Member
    But, you should not have to do that. Savage should FIX their problem, not make it my problem.

If enough people visit threads like this when researching for a new gun then they will probably start to drift away, especially since the historic accuracy of Savages is not unique anymore and their prices are up with the rest of the mfgs.

The problem I have had with all 3 of these rifles is they won't strip the rounds from the mag, the mags seem to sit too low in the stock. For them to work correctly you need to hold your hand under the rear of the mag while running the bolt. Also 1/2 the time when a round does catch the bolt it misfeeds going into the chamber. I have ran the bolt slow, fast it really doesn't matter. If you remove the stock from the action and insert the mag into the stock, the mag has vertical play of several millimeters. Shimming the mag at the rear in the stock eliminates the feed issue causing this problem. But does not stop the feed issue going into the chamber, and all 3 display the same problems. All 3 rifles are newer 110's and shoot very accurately and I happen to be very fond of them, I just can't accept the fact that all 3 have the same exact mag and functioning problem, and all 3 need to be tweaked to function correctly. I didn't create this thread to bash Savage, I really do like their rifles and I have owned many of them over the years without issue, the newer ones not so much. So instead of getting frustrated with this mag issue every time I use them, I just move on to something more reliable.

Oh ya… de err super-dee-duper SMOOOOVE!!! Und all dat smoovyness must mean somzing, yah?

Vell… Gud luck on ze Tikka forum, ya.
    Thanks for that, much appreciated and that really helped the situation.

Banned
    You need to open the feed lips sightly to allow the round to be pushed up higher for the bolt to catch. Let me guess? You tried adjusting the feed lips with a screw driver or a regular pair of pliers, hey?

Everything you need to know is in this recent thread. Including a choice of two different inexpensive correct tools to use & a video outlining exactly what to do. (Which I posted as well.)
    https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...it-doesn-t-jam

Basic Member
    What type of stock is it? The reason I ask is if you could raise the bottom metal a little bit that would help. I know you should not have to do that.

I'm glad I read this cause the next time I need a mag I'm calling Savage for a free one.

Good luck to you

Snyder takes a Savage mag and "hollows it out" for a metal body insert. My .260 Rem has a German G3 magazine trimmed to 10-round

He does cover the .350 Legend and .223 Savages. No need to change the bottom "metal". Not cheap . . . but well done.

https://www.snydermags.com/shop/
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

I'm guessing your having issues with the .350 Legend feeding, which is a widely known common issue with the Savage's. As Dave said, you'll need to open the feed lips slightly on that mag due to the .350 Legend being slightly larger in diameter than the .223 the mag was designed for.

And while Dave may be a smartass now and again when someone mentions switching to another brand of rifle, with certain cartridges I often recommend people do just that as the Savage's just don't feed certain cartridges well (the Creedmoor's being another perfect example). Dave just fails to understand that not everyone likes to tinker with their rifles like he does, and they sure as hell don't want to have to fix their brand new rifle because the manufacturer cant' figure out how to or simply can't be bothered to make them right.

Love my Savage rifles, but I also accept that they're far from perfect and they aren't always the best option.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    I'm guessing your having issues with the .350 Legend feeding, which is a widely known common issue with the Savage's. As Dave said, you'll need to open the feed lips slightly on that mag due to the .350 Legend being slightly larger in diameter than the .223 the mag was designed for.

And while Dave may be a smartass now and again when someone mentions switching to another brand of rifle, with certain cartridges I often recommend people do just that as the Savage's just don't feed certain cartridges well (the Creedmoor's being another perfect example). Dave just fails to understand that not everyone likes to tinker with their rifles like he does, and they sure as hell don't want to have to fix their brand new rifle because the manufacturer cant' figure out how to or simply can't be bothered to make them right.

Love my Savage rifles, but I also accept that they're far from perfect and they aren't always the best option.
    I love the three Savage rifles that I have as well. They have, and continue, to serve me well. They have been a great introduction into rifle shooting. Having said that, should my club range go to 1,000 yards, I`ll be looking for a 6.5 Creedmoor in all likelihood. Because of the well documented issues with that caliber, and regrettably to my knowledge, Savage`s inability/unwillingness to address said issues, I`ll be going in another direction brand wise.

All 3 of my 110's have feed issues, but yes the 350 legend is the worst and tweaking the feed lips on all of them helped greatly. I have other rifles with polymer mags and they feed much smoother than all of my savages do. I just wish savage would redesign their mags to work and feed a tad better and smoother, that's all. One thing I can say is all my 110's have very good accuracy and the stocks fit me very well, so they are all keepers. I like to tinker with stuff also and it gives me satisfaction knowing the changes I have made work better than the original design.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post

Excellent point. Savages are a good platform for people who want or are willing to learn and understand the ins and outs, to learn the why's and how to fix things. That can carry you a long way in understanding the improvements that customs and other manufaturers provide. When you have experimented and fixed for years you realize things are better with other platforms. Savage does draw you near if you have a lot of tools and plenty of "Bench Time".
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.