Thread: Accurate .223 Target Factory Loads?

Basic Member

Accurate .223 Target Factory Loads?

I`m sure most serious shooters on SS hand load, but I`m curious as to the experiences of shooters with .223 factory loads shooting to 500 and maybe a little beyond. Particularly in 1:7 guns if possible. Thanks in advance guys.

The Federal GMM .223 with Berger 73 gn bullets will get you there with a smile on your face. Just bought 2 more cases from Target Sports. Whatta Hobby!
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Basic Member
    I've only used the Federal 69gn SMK loads. They were almost as accurate as my handloads at the time. They were OK at 600 but I'd look for 77gn (or 80 if they are making any these days).

Black Hills is another source and I've heard the HSM loads are pretty good. Lapua used to make some but I haven't seen much of anything from Lapua in several years.

Basic Member
    I think that it depends on what expectations you have for 500 yards.... if you just want to hit a 10" steel target then lots of options- and some of them fairly economical. The problem with some of the precision 223 loads with the 69 and 77 grain bullets is the cost-- you can shoot 6.5 cm or 308 for the same money. Some of the 55 grain fmj is loaded very consistent and it does 500 yards pretty easy- some of it is not and you can get ES of over 130 fps. Less expensive ammo that worked good for me has been Norma 223 (except the 62 grain tactical line)- and then in the more expensive stuff the Sig 77 grain shot amazing- but slower.

I have the LRPV with 1/9 twist barrel. I bought several cases of the Australian Outback 69gr a few years ago that has been stellar in my rifle. It's now marketed as ADI World Class. Reasonably priced also.
    GOA

I acquired a Savage 12 LPV 223 7 twist earlier this year, and when I did the "function" testing on the first range trip, I used some 20+ yr old Black Hills ammo with 68g BTHP pills. Shot one of my better groups at 100 yds. THis ammo is 20+ y/o, and is on the hot side based on the m/v, so... Some other ammo with the same basic age/vintage, but with 69g pills shot almost as well, it could have been me but the 68g pills shoots just as well with my limited load development with the 68g.

Basic Member
    In my experience, a 1:7 twist wouldn't effect accuracy with lighter bullets.
    However, the barrel will tell you if it has a preference for bullet weights.
    Unfortunately, you never know what powder is in a factory load from lot to lot, so it is a crap shoot trying to figure that out.

As for factory ammos, I would agree that both Federal GMM and Black Hills are good choices. Hornady Factory with ELD-M bullets, if you can find them, would also be a good choice.

Reloading has taught me something about barrels and their preferences for bullets and powders.
    From what I see, what shoots great on one rifle barrel won't necessarily shoot great in another barrel of the same caliber - both from the same manufacturer.
    My Les Baer Super Varmint 1:8 twist has a slight preference for 69s and 73s over 77s.
    My Savage 12 FV bolt action in 1:9 twist shoots both 69s and 77s great over 700 measured groups even though 77s are not supposed to stabilize in a 1:9 twist.
    After over 1000 5-round groups shot with that rifle, I find that powder choice makes a much bigger difference than bullet weight choice.
    That Savage loves 73 gr ELD-Ms, but only have a small sample with the 73s with two powders. Powder makes quite a difference and preferences doesn't seem to track from barrel to barrel in the same caliber.
    Just to show how hard it is to make conclusions in advance about bullet weights, 75 grain bullets shoot much larger groups than 69,73 or 77 grain bullet.
    And I have tried both 75 ELD-Ms and 75 Bergers.
    I can't figure that out, but the numbers don't lie.
    Last edited by CFJunkie; 10-25-2023 at 07:01 AM. Reason: typo in # of groups shot

Many years ago my shooting buddy shot a 5 shot one hole group @ 100 yards with Ultramax Reman 68gr hp match ammo. He was shooting a Savage target rifle, but I'll be danged if I can recall which one now.

Made me sick to my stomach to watch him do it. I told him to sell his dies and go buy a case of that ammo and forget about reloading for it.

Sometimes you never know until you try it.
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot