Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firing pin/bolt bushing service?

Team Savage

Firing pin/bolt bushing service?

Is there a list of who is doing this? I'm trying to fix the cratering I am getting with my rifle.

Thanks!

Banned
    You want to contact Desh. He’ll sort you out. Here his site. https://deshind.com/2017/09/04/savage-bolt-bushing/

Basic Member
    Cratering is nothing more than a visual annoyance, but before you bush the pin, try re-contouring the pin tip to a larger radius.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    You want to contact Desh. He’ll sort you out. Here his site. https://deshind.com/2017/09/04/savage-bolt-bushing/
    Thanks, I reached out to him.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Cratering is nothing more than a visual annoyance, but before you bush the pin, try re-contouring the pin tip to a larger radius.
    Thanks, I didn't realize it was purely visual. I wouldn't know how to cleanly modify my firing pin.

Banned
    It’s only a problem if the striker pin is too pointy allowing the radius to sit below the surface of the pin hole. This allows the pin to move laterally causing primer cratering/smearing. If your primer strikes look ok, it’s fine.

This is a perfect striker pin shape & protrusion. If yours looks even similar to this, it’s in fine shape. If you are able to post a picture we can tell you how it looks.

Team Savage
    Ever consider it "could be" a brass problem and NOT a firing pin issue? Brass too short for the chamber, when fired, primer tries to back out of the pocket, gets "cratered" and pushed back into the pocket? Just thinking out loud.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
    Ever consider it "could be" a brass problem and NOT a firing pin issue? Brass too short for the chamber, when fired, primer tries to back out of the pocket, gets "cratered" and pushed back into the pocket? Just thinking out loud.
    I verified headspace with clymer gauges. Brass is measured and bumped back .002".

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    Is there a list of who is doing this? I'm trying to fix the cratering I am getting with my rifle.

Thanks!
    If you do a quick search you soon find this is a common problem with Savage rifles. My Model 11 exhibits the same symptom. Use CCI 400 primers and I get cratering and pierced. Use CCI 450 and I get light strikes and FTF.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    until it blanks the primer then it is a problem.

Banned
    There is that. Yeah, I’d take care of it. I did by way of a a PTG bolt head & still happy I did. Bushing works well, it makes the Striker more efficient & Desh does an amazing job. You won’t be disappointed.

Team Savage
    Dave, are you saying that PTG bolt heads are made to specs that don't require bushing using Savage OEM firing pins? I thought I read something somewhere about PTG bolt heads in regards to this issue, but I can't find it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MS50 View Post
    Dave, are you saying that PTG bolt heads are made to specs that don't require bushing using Savage OEM firing pins? I thought I read something somewhere about PTG bolt heads in regards to this issue, but I can't find it.
    The PTG bolt heads are machined to tighter specs. They have fixed cratering conditions for some. But so does bolt bushing. And at much less expense. Also, the PTG bolts heads typically need to be fit. And then headspaced. I didn’t by a rifle & start changing things out. I built my Savage from the start because, well, that’s what I do. I also machined a firing pin striker to fit perfectly. Everything about firearms is hobby to me.

I’m not trying to discourage or encourage. If trying to fix a potential problem, there are more straightforward ways. And if it’s hobby, I don’t have to recommend either way.

Team Savage
    I understand what you're saying. I use PTG bolt heads on a 6br and 223 that were installed prior to headspacing aftermarket barrels. Neither rifle craters primers. I wouldn't replace bolt heads to solve a cratering problem. I'd get the bolt head bushed as a first measure.

Team Savage
    Thanks everybody. I sent my bolt off just now.

Basic Member
    Thanks everybody. I sent my bolt off just now.

czgunner, did you send your bolt to Desh? My understanding is that they were currently not taking any new work due to illness.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkeytider View Post
    czgunner, did you send your bolt to Desh? My understanding is that they were currently not taking any new work due to illness.
    Yes, I sent it to him. He advised me that it will take several weeks due to his health.

Basic Member
    Yes, I sent it to him. He advised me that it will take several weeks due to his health.

Right. He told me to get in touch with him in November if I had anything I wanted done.

Banned
    Didn’t know he was having problems. Anyway, for those wondering, here is Desh so he’s not just a name to deal with, LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sGM-5cDJiY

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Didn’t know he was having problems. Anyway, for those wondering, here is Desh so he’s not just a name to deal with, LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sGM-5cDJiY
    Fantastic! Thanks for sharing that.

Basic Member
    You will find an improper spring will do this. Even to light of spring. I had alot of crap wrong with my gun to sort out. Still not done. But closer. OI bought parts from gun shack to start the repairs per Dave. CZ where are you at in WY.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by wywindsor View Post
    You will find an improper spring will do this. Even to light of spring. I had alot of crap wrong with my gun to sort out. Still not done. But closer. OI bought parts from gun shack to start the repairs per Dave. CZ where are you at in WY.
    Up in Sheridan.

Team Savage

Grimstod is another if you're so inclined to have one bushed. Can find him on Accurate Shooter site.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    Grimstod is another if you're so inclined to have one bushed. Can find him on Accurate Shooter site.
    Grimstod & Desh are actually the same person. Grimstod is Desh’s forum handle. He was here in like 2018 & only posted a few times as that name. Desh Industries is his website. He started after getting his Savage Axis & loving it. Phil, the video I linked in post #19. That is Grimstod/Desh. His name is Ben.

Basic Member
    FWIW, I've had several guns that cratered primers, pistols and rifles. Unless I went over max loads they never pierced the primers. No, never had them bushed either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast