Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Firing pin/bolt bushing service?

Team Savage

"FWIW, I've had several guns that cratered primers, pistols and rifles. Unless I went over MAX LOADS they never pierced the primers.
    No, never had them bushed either."

BINGO!!
    Mid range loads will ALWAYS get the job done.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Banned
    No, not going to pierce primers. But it’s unsightly. People don’t like it. And it doesn’t speak to the aspect of Precision. Especially when it’s easily remedied. I find it interesting that people call other Actions, that don’t exhibit this quirks to be better. But when it’s recommended to remedythese small things, some people will call it a waste of time, or it doesn’t matter.

In other words it’s like saying: “Savages are Cheap because they do such & such.” But then also say, “Don’t waste your time fixing such & such on Savages because they are Cheap!”

Basic Member
    I've had the problem on expensive guns so being 'cheap' is not a factor.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Grimstod & Desh are actually the same person. Grimstod is Desh’s forum handle. He was here in like 2018 & only posted a few times as that name. Desh Industries is his website. He started after getting his Savage Axis & loving it. Phil, the video I linked in post #19. That is Grimstod/Desh. His name is Ben.
    The other guy on AccurateShooter is Carlsbad and his reviews are top tier. That's what I get going from memory after a week at the lake.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    The other guy on AccurateShooter is Carlsbad and his reviews are top tier. That's what I get going from memory after a week at the lake.
    Ahh; week at the lake is worth in in my book! I wouldn’t care what I forgot for sake of a good trip!

Basic Member
    My axis was blanking primers. Sent it back to savage and they replaced the bolt head and firing pin. When it didn't blank the primer it left a cratered primer. Then it started the lite primer strikes after getting it back. Before I sent it in I had to switch to mag cci sr primers so they would not pop. The new bolt head craters a little but have not had one pop yet.

I have had Gretan do several bolts.

Banned
    Personally, I would never send a rifle back to Savage for something like that. (But then I would never send my rifles, or pistols for that matter, back for anything.) These problems which aren’t really problem according to Savage.

All I know is having the bolt head bushed or using a PTG bolt head, and setting the firing pin striker for maximum pin fall, while having the minimum pin protrusion (.035”), will cure cratering & light primer strikes.

Team Savage
    Looks like USPS delivered my bolt to Desh. Now the waiting begins.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    (But then I would never send my rifles, or pistols for that matter, back for anything.)
    My grandson wanted 223 to play with so I bought a Ruger American. The problem? I was unable to chamber my Go gauge or a new stick of brass. As it turned out it's extractor was too long to jump the rim of a case but after "modifying" it a bit .....

Why didn't I send back to Ruger? I figured if Ruger didn't build it right the first time why would I expect them to fix it right a second time.
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    Mr Bill ! Always good to here from You !

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post

You will be very happy with his work. Get well soon Desh.

Basic Member

I sent a couple of bolts to Desh in January. How long did it take to get yours finished and returned? We had good communication in the beginning, but nothing in the past couple of weeks. I see someone in this thread mentioned he might have some health issues and wish him well. I am concerned when communication abruptly halts. Thanks for your input.

Banned
    He has in the past. Might be something else. But I wouldn’t worry. A bit of wait without communication likely means he is quite busy & working hard to get everything done. However, Ben (Grimstod) is very reliable. He’s been doing this a long time. And while there have been some times of communication problems, he always comes through. Remember, he’s a one-man operation. I get it. It can be nerve racking when you put money out and don’t have communication, but rest assured. You’re in good hands. Ben is an honest person with a very good reputation.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by juanfabuloso View Post
    I sent a couple of bolts to Desh in January. How long did it take to get yours finished and returned? We had good communication in the beginning, but nothing in the past couple of weeks. I see someone in this thread mentioned he might have some health issues and wish him well. I am concerned when communication abruptly halts. Thanks for your input.
    I think it was less than a week. He is doing some medical stuff, so he had a specific time for me to send my bolt in.

Basic Member
    Thanks Dave.

Basic Member
    I think it was less than a week. He is doing some medical stuff, so he had a specific time for me to send my bolt in.

I emailed him 2 weeks ago and still haven’t heard back yet. (Desh)
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12