Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ideas for gun build -

Flyn,
    I also am doing a "project gun". Bought a 110 in .30/06 and have added a 6.5 CM and a .220 Rocket barrels. Search for whatever shooters are selling in the way of used barrels and then play with it. Put a Boyd's stock on it with a large barrel channel. I may also get into magnum cases and change the bolt head.
    I am having a lot of fun doing this. Just for punching holes in paper. All started when a friend was selling his barrel vice, action wrench and a nut wrench.
    Dave, may take you up on the Accutrigger!

Basic Member
    That's helpful to hear. I think I'm going to have to bite that bullet, so to speak.

So in terms of building a target gun, that won't break the bank, it sounds like the priorities are:

1) Load Developement

2) Good barrel

3) Glass

4) Chassis

None of which matter, if the biggest problem is still between my ears.

Follow up questions - what do y'all look for in a scope?

Savage touts the aluminum block bedding as helping to improve accuracy. Would you see much benefit from something like an MDT Oryx?

Also - and I realize I'm asking a partial group - what do you like about Savage actions, over brands like howa, ruger, remington?

Basic Member
    Have kind of given my impression of scopes back in post 19. It sort of depends on what you intend to do with it. If trying to shoot very small targets at distance then a Second Focal Plain scope with a very fine reticle and 1/8 MOA adjustments really pays off. In my case I am using an Athlon Argos BTR GenII 10-40X56, https://athlonoptics.com/product/arg...6-blr-sfp-moa/ , there are others in this category but most are much more money. If interested in PRS type shooting or varmint shooting then the FFP scopes shine.

In your case my order would be; Load, Glass, Chassis, barrel. I truly believe that Savage 22-250 barrel will hold up well against any other factory barrel and not be far behind many of the aftermarket prefits. It it were me I would shoot it until it has proven it will not perform or you advance in skill and ability. Heck after a year you could even lose interest!

Chassis selection is more personal preference and what strikes your fancy. We all have different likes, looks and needs.

Load development is essential if serious about shooting bug hole groups. Bullet choice and combinations of bullets, powder and load level can all be tuned for maximum performance.

My personal experience is I started with the 223 as an inexpensive way to get started and involved. Now after 2 seasons I have taken this rifle as far as it will go w/o making a change. I am at the point that I am thinking stepping up to the 6mm round or moving to a more Match type barrel with a much faster twist for the 223 to enable the use of more Match type and weight bullets.

This is what I am shooting in league to 300 yards. Also A 300yd target, 223Rem

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0909.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	217.5 KB 
ID:	9970Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0813.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	137.1 KB 
ID:	9971

Scope choice definitely wouldnt be a Burris Mtac 4.5-14x. Though the image is really clear and bright the crosshairs are way too thick for target work and will cover an entire group from a well tuned up 22-250.
    They are great for hunting or tactical work where heavy easily seen reticles on center mass quickly are desired.
    If I were going to reccomend a general multi use scope for a 26" 22-250 it would probably be a Burris E1 6.5-20x50. Relatively inexpensive if you shop around and the ballistic E1 reticle on this model is designed with drop and windage .arks to specifically match the trajectory of the 22-250. Its what I recently put on my model 12 BVSS and I like it a lot.
    With regards to barrel if you tune a load for what you've got you'll probably be shocked how accurate it is. The .224 diameter bullets are super versitile and.also a bargain and usually come in 100 count boxes and are generally much cheaper than anything larger and they're constantly readily available in a really wide variety of weights and bullet styles. The cases dont burn a huge amount of powder either. The 22-250 is an economical flat shooting speed demon. Hornady has also just come out with some.new specialized high BC target bullets that will probably benefit the 22-250 even more than the propriatary cartridge Hornady is marketing them for.
    As far as stocks fo the factory aluminum bedding blocks are quite sufficient for excellent accuracy when properly torqued. Personally I'd leave it alone, add good mounts and glass, tune up a load. and get after it.
    I think you have a lot more rifle than you realize and with a little development and a tuned load are going to be shocked what its capable of.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Yeah, I don't think this Burris MTac is going to get much use. I bought it on clearance, to try a mil dot scope. I don't like a mil dot scope. I have too many scopes as it is.
    Glad to hear that you like the E1. I'm going to keep my eye out.

Which Hornady 224 bullets are you talking about? I saw they have the aluminum tipped ones now. They also have an 88 gr ELD Match. I never know how much of the marketing to believe, and don't know enough to weed through the BS.

Now that I've gone down this rabbit hole... I've decided to keep the 22-250.....
    Worked out an arrangement within the family. I clean out a portion of the garage, to make my wife happy. My brother (who just moved down and lives close by) sets up his reloading stuff in my garage. We get to reload and have an excuse to hang out.

Do you have mounts that you recommend? I've always used Warne or Leopold rings - but those may not be sufficient.

I'm wondering if anyone has used these tuning brakes . If you use match grade ammo, and one of these tuners, can you get results closer to a tuned hand load?

Basic Member
    That's really helpful to see. And that scope is on sale at Academy for $400. I have too many scopes already. Maybe I can purge a couple.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BFlynn View Post
    That's really helpful to see. And that scope is on sale at Academy for $400. I have too many scopes already. Maybe I can purge a couple.
    While there are other scopes in this price range I would look to, notably I would not invest in scope/hardware with 1” tube as I believe it’s obsolete anymore. However, the reticle matches your 22-250 & and the 6.5-20x is good power range for near & far. So it’s likely a good bet for you. However, do not spend $400 on that E1 scope! The estimated retail is $359 according to Burris. And you can buy it for $311 here. https://www.amazon.com/Burris-Fullfi...1zcF9hdGY&th=1

For rings, if you already have Warne or Leupold, they will work fine. Much in the way of optics hardware is just style. We’ve discussed this here several times actually. Whether using the inexpensive Leupold standard rings, a modern Picatinny rail & nice set of 30mm of 34mm 7075-T6 Billet Aluminum Rings or even a $400 1-piece Spuhr mount, they will all do what they are supposed to. Just stick with name brands & the style you like. While I’ll spend $150 on rings & I use the Audere 34mm PSR rings, but I won’t spend $400!

With scope hardware there is diminishing returns. While the Leupold standard rings are fine on a hunting rifle, I wouldn’t use them on a Target rifle. Or with very heavy cartridges. But once you get to the 7075 Aluminum Picatinny rails/rings, they will easily survive even 50BMG punishment. So at this level it becomes purely about style.

Hornadys new .224 bullet is the ELD VT. They're releasing it along with their new cartridge the .22ARC. Pretty sure the ARC will flop because .223 will rule the AR platform for eternity and it doesnt do what the 22-250 they compare it to already does in a bolt action. That said new " high tech" bullet designs and advancements are always welcome.
    Im cheap. I'd probably shop penny auctions on GB till I found an E1 at the right price. If I remember right I picked one up for like $239. Those scopes may be discontinued cause I know a while back there were a ton of em on the market clearance priced. Its pretty much a general purpose scope but has very good performance that wont break the bank and a forever warranty you wont need.
    The Mtac is a great scope. Ive had one on an SR25 pattern rifle for quite a few years. Its just purpose designed for tactical rifles so not the best for pinpoint type target shooting.
    Bases and rings are up to you and their are a zillion options. I like a set of medium height dual dovetails just for their set it and forget it simplicity and rugged design. They also provide lots of room at the ejection port with good acess for single loading, cleaning and maintenance, Standard leupolds etc work just fine and he DNZ stuff is solid too. Some guys like picatinny setups but most set the scope up too high for me to use or the rail and bell dont jive for me limiting fore and aft movement. Im a stock crawler and like.my setup as low aa I can get it.
    I know the old fullfield 2s were awesome optics but the ones I have are from back when they were made in USA. Prettt sure the 6.5-20 fullfield 2s are also calibrated for 22-250 but without the windage hashmarks and theyre around $200 and probably less.
    Everybodys budget etc is different, but I've done pretty well with decent lower budget equipment. A fella can spend a lot more and get a lot less.
    Hope you find a setup that works for you and a one hole load for your rifle.
    Ps sierra accuracy loads and nosler most accurate load tested are a very good place to start. They can often be tweaked a little for excellent results. Sometimes not.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    Flyn,
    I also am doing a "project gun". Bought a 110 in .30/06 and have added a 6.5 CM and a .220 Rocket barrels. Search for whatever shooters are selling in the way of used barrels and then play with it. Put a Boyd's stock on it with a large barrel channel. I may also get into magnum cases and change the bolt head.
    I am having a lot of fun doing this. Just for punching holes in paper. All started when a friend was selling his barrel vice, action wrench and a nut wrench.
    Dave, may take you up on the Accutrigger!
    So are you swapping barrels, back and forth, on the rifle?

Because that idea is what got me started down this rabbit hole to start with. What I'd really like is to be able to have 1 hunting rifle, with barrels in 6.5 PRC, 300WM, and maybe a 35 Whelan.
    I'd also like it to break down to fit into a shorter case. But before I go switching barrels back and forth, I thought I'd see if I could switch them once.

When you go from 30/06 to 6.5CM do you have to change bolts or anything else?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    Hornadys new .224 bullet is the ELD VT. They're releasing it along with their new cartridge the .22ARC. Pretty sure the ARC will flop because .223 will rule the AR platform for eternity and it doesnt do what the 22-250 they compare it to already does in a bolt action. That said new " high tech" bullet designs and advancements are always welcome.
    Im cheap. I'd probably shop penny auctions on GB till I found an E1 at the right price. If I remember right I picked one up for like $239. Those scopes may be discontinued cause I know a while back there were a ton of em on the market clearance priced. Its pretty much a general purpose scope but has very good performance that wont break the bank and a forever warranty you wont need.
    The Mtac is a great scope. Ive had one on an SR25 pattern rifle for quite a few years. Its just purpose designed for tactical rifles so not the best for pinpoint type target shooting.
    Bases and rings are up to you and their are a zillion options. I like a set of medium height dual dovetails just for their set it and forget it simplicity and rugged design. They also provide lots of room at the ejection port with good acess for single loading, cleaning and maintenance, Standard leupolds etc work just fine and he DNZ stuff is solid too. Some guys like picatinny setups but most set the scope up too high for me to use or the rail and bell dont jive for me limiting fore and aft movement. Im a stock crawler and like.my setup as low aa I can get it.
    I know the old fullfield 2s were awesome optics but the ones I have are from back when they were made in USA. Prettt sure the 6.5-20 fullfield 2s are also calibrated for 22-250 but without the windage hashmarks and theyre around $200 and probably less.
    Everybodys budget etc is different, but I've done pretty well with decent lower budget equipment. A fella can spend a lot more and get a lot less.
    Hope you find a setup that works for you and a one hole load for your rifle.
    Ps sierra accuracy loads and nosler most accurate load tested are a very good place to start. They can often be tweaked a little for excellent results. Sometimes not.
    Yeah, I try to buy "good enough to get the job done" or maybe just above that. I don't like to overspend on features I don't need.... so I really appreciate everyone's help!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BFlynn View Post
    So are you swapping barrels, back and forth, on the rifle?

Because that idea is what got me started down this rabbit hole to start with. What I'd really like is to be able to have 1 hunting rifle, with barrels in 6.5 PRC, 300WM, and maybe a 35 Whelan.
    I'd also like it to break down to fit into a shorter case. But before I go switching barrels back and forth, I thought I'd see if I could switch them once.

When you go from 30/06 to 6.5CM do you have to change bolts or anything else?
    Going between 30-06 & 6.5Cm, No, a bolt head is not needed. Provided you start with a 30-06 LA, nothing else besides the Barrel is required.

Basic Member
    Swap barrels and compact case. I'd ask someone who has done it how much the zero changes between swaps. For the compact case you have to consider the fore end of the stock as well. Do you leave the stock full length? If so you could just remove the barreled action from the stock and have something almost as short as the stock (or shorter). If you cut the stock then how much.

I only ask cause I have tried to work this kind of thing through myself and I've often wondered how well the take down systems really work. I suspect well enough for close range hunting, but, precision? Maybe set up each barrel as a scout scope setup and maybe the zero would not change as much?

All of that was what got me to go down the rabbit hole of TC Contender barrels a long time ago.

I have to sight in my rifle every time I swap barrels. Don't mind doing that. loads of fun!

Basic Member
    I'd really like to take you up on your generous offer for help with the trigger. How do we put that in motion?

Basic Member
    CharlieB -

I think they work well enough for hunting. I've talked with a guy on another forum that had swapped barrels and felt he could change calibers and could use the gun as a functional hunting weapon out to 500 yards. I'll try to find the link.
    Basically has the scope zerod for one caliber, and knows the adjustments for each different barrel. He recommended shouldered barrels, and adding a set screw in the barrel nut to ensure everything is seated the same.

I've got a buddy that hunts with a Blazer and he feels like 300 yards is the limit of his effective range. I don't plan on hunting anything further than that.

As a test - I took my hunting rifle to the range, shot a good group at 300 yards. Removed the stock from the gun. Reattached the stock, and shot another good group without moving the point of impact. So that may be my method.
    Regardless - I won't try anything hunting, that I haven't confirmed on the range first.

Basic Member
    Update -

Whelp - y'all have ruined me. I'm definitely going down the reloading path!

A guy at my rifle club was getting rid of a target gun - Savage 110 action - McGowen Bull Barrel - 6mm CM - on an Oryx Chassis. He already had loads developed so I pulled the trigger.
    Shot a .68" group with factory factory ammo, at 100 yards. Shot his hand loads and the holes where overlapping. Put my Burris on it, for now, until I decide what glass to get. Figure I'll start with this.

Was ready to get rid of the 22-250..... but then I just shot it again, and I just like it so much.

Instead of reducing something from the safe.... it got more full. Oops!

Congrats Im sure youll enjoy it.
    With a little load development the 22-250 should be overlapping as well before you know it. The long term ammo savings will pay for your kit much daster than you think even if the savings go up in more shooting instead of directly in your pocket.
    Ps i got a mailbox flyer from Natchez and they have the Burris E1 6.5-20x50 on sale for $249.99

Name:	20231110_110355.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	338.1 KB 
ID:	10059

Banned
    Savages are fun.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Savages are fun.

Name:	DSCN0823.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	267.7 KB 
ID:	10062Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0910.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	185.9 KB 
ID:	10063
    Indeed they are!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12