Thread: Ideas for gun build -

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Ideas for gun build -

Hey everyone, looking for some ideas on re-chambering / building out a Savage rifle.

I've got a Savage 10T-SR in 22-250. I won this gun at a DU event. I've enjoyed shooting it at the range, because it shoots great, and ammo was cheap.
    Now ammo isn't cheap, so I was thinking about rebarreling / repurposing this gun.

I've already got other bolt rifles to hunt with (300 WM, 6.5 CM, and 300 BLK) and a semi-auto .308 for piggies. So, I don't figure I need to repurpose this into a hunting rifle.
    I'm a member at a rifle club that has ranges out to 1000 yards. I'd like to build a gun to participate in the 300 and 600 yard matches. I don't expect to beat the nationally ranked guys with real expensive custom rigs. I would like for the gun to perform well enough that 1) the main limitation is me as a shooter, and 2) it does well enough that "my free savage" holds it's own against other casual shooters.

I don't have a firm budget. I'd like to use as much of this gun as I can, but don't mind upgrading parts that are worth it.
    For what it's worth, I like the trigger on this gun, and it feels really stable. I'm shooting about 2/3" group, at 11 yards, off a bi-pod with cheap PPU 22-250 ammo.

My brother is a mechanical engineer, reloads, and has done some "light gun smithing". I'm fairly handy. Most DIY level projects, are within reach.

Since this is a short action rifle, I figured a barrel swap was the most straight forward approach. Maybe to .243, 6.5 CM, or 308, since those have ammo available and my brother already reloads 243 and 308.
    Any other calibers I y'all like for punching holes in paper?

For barrels -
    I was looking at take off barrels from Northland shooter, or barrels from McCowan, or EABCO. Anyone like these barrels? Or are they ones to stay away from?

Maybe there's something really cool I can do with the gun, that I haven't even thought of yet.

Really just brain storming, and getting ideas. Thanks for your input!

Banned
    Excellent! Don’t sell it short… Look our member Fuj’ here. He is a competing machine and lays many a high-dollar rig to shame with his Savage.

For a cartridge, if you are grabbing off the shelf, stick with the 6.5CM. It really does have the best ammunition as far as “shelf” ammunition goes. If you are reloading, go with whatever interests you. For a dedicated 300-600 gun, and statistically speaking, a small 6mm is best option. 6mm BR or one of its relatives. (I like the Dasher if I was doing a 6mm). Again though, if reloading, and you can’t go wrong really.

For a Barrel, I’d definitely recommend giving Jim a call at Northland Shooters. Shilen or Criterion. I’ve purchased one of each from him. First a Shilen & just received the Criterion. (The Criterion is a better choice I think, but either is really good.)

Now the trigger. Is it an Accutrigger, I thinking? Just throwing this out there. I actually do FREE trigger jobs for members here & the Accutrigger is a specialty for me. I also, very much like the Accutrigger & I set them up completely custom. I stone polish the Trigger/Sear surfaces, and change out the springs entirely for my own. As well as adding an overtravel stop. It wakes up the Accutrigger. I’ve done trigger jobs for many members here. If you’re interested, just message me. Open ended. And as I said, no charge. No gimmicks. Just something I do to give back.

Basic Member
    I have to agree with Dave and the 6mm recommendation. Only I would also suggest the 6mm ARC which is what I am looking to put together once funds become more available. It's on the store shelves or tools to reload it are now readily available. From my research when loaded to the bolt rifle levels it is just about on par with the 6mm BR Norma. But the 6mm seems to be the sweet spot from 200-600yds when punching holes in paper.

So I did a quick search on the 10T-SR and looks like a fairly ready 300yd choice. A nice chassis and a good Bench type scope would be where I would start with that. I have a Athlon Argos 10-40X56 SFP Target reticle on my Model 11 that has been rebarreled with a Model 12 26" Varmint profile 223 that I shoot in a local league during the winter.

Maybe don't give up on that 22-250 just yet. A little load development with good quality match bullets should be competitive with most average shooters. My 223 will hold .5MOA at 300 yards which keeps up with everything other than the well built 6BRA and Dashers..

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Excellent! Don’t sell it short… Look our member Fuj’ here. He is a competing machine and lays many a high-dollar rig to shame with his Savage.
    I also get my ass handed to me on more then one occassion....

I'm a 7mm guy. In the new builders case and with ammo that can be bought, "Go" 284 Winchester
    or at least a 7/08. If you reload, there is also the 7SAW. For a prefit, get a Shillen. I won't bad
    mouth McGowan or Swaw but, Id never own one for my purposes. The 6.5 Creedmoor is a good
    cartridge, just not good enough.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

_.

Banned
    The 284 is one of those magic cartridges. Big reason I’m always saying there’s nothing new. It was designed like a target cartridge of today in the early ‘60’s! With less body taper & a 35 degree shoulder. (Hornady didn’t invent a darn thing with the Creedmoor.) Only problem with it is it’s useless to those who don’t reload. Factory ammunition is nonexistent! But for a normal reloader like myself, and especially a Wildcat’r like Fuj’, it’s a winner.

Basic Member
    You might also look at the 6BR or one of it's relatives. Very easy to load for and good barrel life. I rebuilt my Savage Mod 10 308 to the 6 BR and really like it.

6BR Cartridge Guide

When you go to the link above, look in the left hand column and you'll also see the other variants of the 6BR.

The 6 XC would also be another great round.

Basic Member
    I didn't even know 6mm BR was thing!

I'll definitely give Jim a call. After posting this, ran into someone at my range with a savage bench rest gun he had put together, and really liked his criterion barrel.

Basic Member
    I'd really like to take you up on your generous offer for help with the trigger. How do we put that in motion?