Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for gun build -

Basic Member

Ideas for gun build -

Hey everyone, looking for some ideas on re-chambering / building out a Savage rifle.

I've got a Savage 10T-SR in 22-250. I won this gun at a DU event. I've enjoyed shooting it at the range, because it shoots great, and ammo was cheap.
    Now ammo isn't cheap, so I was thinking about rebarreling / repurposing this gun.

I've already got other bolt rifles to hunt with (300 WM, 6.5 CM, and 300 BLK) and a semi-auto .308 for piggies. So, I don't figure I need to repurpose this into a hunting rifle.
    I'm a member at a rifle club that has ranges out to 1000 yards. I'd like to build a gun to participate in the 300 and 600 yard matches. I don't expect to beat the nationally ranked guys with real expensive custom rigs. I would like for the gun to perform well enough that 1) the main limitation is me as a shooter, and 2) it does well enough that "my free savage" holds it's own against other casual shooters.

I don't have a firm budget. I'd like to use as much of this gun as I can, but don't mind upgrading parts that are worth it.
    For what it's worth, I like the trigger on this gun, and it feels really stable. I'm shooting about 2/3" group, at 11 yards, off a bi-pod with cheap PPU 22-250 ammo.

My brother is a mechanical engineer, reloads, and has done some "light gun smithing". I'm fairly handy. Most DIY level projects, are within reach.

Since this is a short action rifle, I figured a barrel swap was the most straight forward approach. Maybe to .243, 6.5 CM, or 308, since those have ammo available and my brother already reloads 243 and 308.
    Any other calibers I y'all like for punching holes in paper?

For barrels -
    I was looking at take off barrels from Northland shooter, or barrels from McCowan, or EABCO. Anyone like these barrels? Or are they ones to stay away from?

Maybe there's something really cool I can do with the gun, that I haven't even thought of yet.

Really just brain storming, and getting ideas. Thanks for your input!

Banned
    Excellent! Don’t sell it short… Look our member Fuj’ here. He is a competing machine and lays many a high-dollar rig to shame with his Savage.

For a cartridge, if you are grabbing off the shelf, stick with the 6.5CM. It really does have the best ammunition as far as “shelf” ammunition goes. If you are reloading, go with whatever interests you. For a dedicated 300-600 gun, and statistically speaking, a small 6mm is best option. 6mm BR or one of its relatives. (I like the Dasher if I was doing a 6mm). Again though, if reloading, and you can’t go wrong really.

For a Barrel, I’d definitely recommend giving Jim a call at Northland Shooters. Shilen or Criterion. I’ve purchased one of each from him. First a Shilen & just received the Criterion. (The Criterion is a better choice I think, but either is really good.)

Now the trigger. Is it an Accutrigger, I thinking? Just throwing this out there. I actually do FREE trigger jobs for members here & the Accutrigger is a specialty for me. I also, very much like the Accutrigger & I set them up completely custom. I stone polish the Trigger/Sear surfaces, and change out the springs entirely for my own. As well as adding an overtravel stop. It wakes up the Accutrigger. I’ve done trigger jobs for many members here. If you’re interested, just message me. Open ended. And as I said, no charge. No gimmicks. Just something I do to give back.

Basic Member
    I have to agree with Dave and the 6mm recommendation. Only I would also suggest the 6mm ARC which is what I am looking to put together once funds become more available. It's on the store shelves or tools to reload it are now readily available. From my research when loaded to the bolt rifle levels it is just about on par with the 6mm BR Norma. But the 6mm seems to be the sweet spot from 200-600yds when punching holes in paper.

So I did a quick search on the 10T-SR and looks like a fairly ready 300yd choice. A nice chassis and a good Bench type scope would be where I would start with that. I have a Athlon Argos 10-40X56 SFP Target reticle on my Model 11 that has been rebarreled with a Model 12 26" Varmint profile 223 that I shoot in a local league during the winter.

Maybe don't give up on that 22-250 just yet. A little load development with good quality match bullets should be competitive with most average shooters. My 223 will hold .5MOA at 300 yards which keeps up with everything other than the well built 6BRA and Dashers..

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Excellent! Don’t sell it short… Look our member Fuj’ here. He is a competing machine and lays many a high-dollar rig to shame with his Savage.
    I also get my ass handed to me on more then one occassion....

I'm a 7mm guy. In the new builders case and with ammo that can be bought, "Go" 284 Winchester
    or at least a 7/08. If you reload, there is also the 7SAW. For a prefit, get a Shillen. I won't bad
    mouth McGowan or Swaw but, Id never own one for my purposes. The 6.5 Creedmoor is a good
    cartridge, just not good enough.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

_.

Banned
    The 284 is one of those magic cartridges. Big reason I’m always saying there’s nothing new. It was designed like a target cartridge of today in the early ‘60’s! With less body taper & a 35 degree shoulder. (Hornady didn’t invent a darn thing with the Creedmoor.) Only problem with it is it’s useless to those who don’t reload. Factory ammunition is nonexistent! But for a normal reloader like myself, and especially a Wildcat’r like Fuj’, it’s a winner.

Basic Member
    You might also look at the 6BR or one of it's relatives. Very easy to load for and good barrel life. I rebuilt my Savage Mod 10 308 to the 6 BR and really like it.

6BR Cartridge Guide

When you go to the link above, look in the left hand column and you'll also see the other variants of the 6BR.

The 6 XC would also be another great round.

Banned
    There’s that echo again, LOL!
    J/K

KMW did bring up a good point of sticking with the 22-250. You said you wanted to use as much as you could. Keeping the factory barrel and going from there wouldn’t be a bad option. 22-250 will compete in 300yds with its eyes closed! And it can be competitive at 600. So I guess to think on. Good point out KMW.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    KMW did bring up a good point of sticking with the 22-250. You said you wanted to use as much as you could. Keeping the factory barrel and going from there wouldn’t be a bad option. 22-250 will compete in 300yds with its eyes closed! And it can be competitive at 600. So I guess to think on. Good point out KMW.
    From the little bit of research I was able to quickly do last night, I didn't find any reviews on the 22-250 model but it appears that rifle came with a heavy Varmint barrel with a 5R Rifling and the barrel length is either 24" or 26". Couldn't find what twist rate they used but if they actually did use a 5R Rifling then I would guess they also used a faster that 12 twist. Which will allow you to use 69gr or heavier bullets depending on the twist.

Now if BFlynn still insists on changing barrels I may be interested in relieving him of that old one!

I am a 7 mm guy also. The 284 is a mean cartridge. If you gun isn't 15 pounds you might like the 7-08 better. Very found of that cartridge.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I don't know your action size, 3006 size I just did a 7mmX57 AI, OMG!
    My boy JUST finished a 358 Norma again OMG...

Basic Member
    I had a 7mm-08 many years ago (1980's). Great cartridge and I could make all my brass from 7.62x51 surplus. Just run the larger neck case through a FL size die. Mine shot really well with factory or reloads. The .284 is a step up in speed but is another one of those inherently good cartridges. Now days I don't like recoil as much so I have a 6BR. Really a nice 600yd cartridge. I do have a .308 but it is my cast bullet gun.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 8mm RUM View Post
    I don't know your action size, 3006 size I just did a 7mmX57 AI, OMG!
    My boy JUST finished a 358 Norma again OMG...

He has the model 10T. It’s a Short Action.

Banned
    We’ve crossed into that point when everyone will just give their favorite choice, not the best option for the OP. We don’t even know if he’s planning on reloading? He mentioned his brother reloads, but it sounds like he will be relying primarily on Factory ammunition. To which I again say the 6.5 Creedmoor is hands down, the best option. And that’s coming from someone who doesn’t even like the 6.5CM! But I admit it’s the winner when it comes to a target capable cartridge for those who don’t reload and must use factory ammunition. Unless you reload, 7mm-08 won’t do you any good. All the factory stuff is hunting ammo, not precision target ammo. And forget anything 6mm BR related. That’s purely reloader cartridge territory.

Basic Member
    But for 300 and 600yd the 7mm-08, 6mmCM, .243, and even .308 are also good choices (yes, there is some premium match available for 7mm-08). Heck, even a lowly .223 can do ok at 600 with the factory 77gn loads.

If not reloading it all depends on what you can find on the shelf....and then order a ton of it :)

Banned
    Never said they weren’t. Read what I typed again Charlie. Are a married couple with 3+ children better off with a 2-door sports car or a minivan/SUV?

Team Savage
    Just can't resist spending other people's money! I would stick with the 22-250, especially if it is 9 or faster, and put my money in a good scope. Please remember you may not like what I like, so go to some matches and look through the scopes. (I am liking the FFP scopes for target work) and some of the chinese glass isn't too bad. Bed the rifle and get some good bullets and have at it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bsekf View Post
    Just can't resist spending other people's money! I would stick with the 22-250, especially if it is 9 or faster, and put my money in a good scope. Please remember you may not like what I like, so go to some matches and look through the scopes. (I am liking the FFP scopes for target work) and some of the chinese glass isn't too bad. Bed the rifle and get some good bullets and have at it.
    Yup! Even if it’s a 1:12, it will still do well with the lighter 22-250 loads. Almost all factory loaded 22-250 is using 55gr. bullets MAX anyway. If reloading, could likely push it to 60gr bullets. And yes, decide what your scope budget is and apply the money to it & high quality mounting. OR, instead of buying a new barrel right now, use that money for reloading press & supplies. And plan for a barrel in the cartridge You Want ​down the road a bit.

Basic Member
    Regarding posts 17 and 18, seems that what my contention was with my last paragraph in post #3. Still I would be interested to learn more about the barrel that is on it. Length, Twist. Then start with a good fitting chassis and a good target scope. Maybe add the Savage Target trigger spring, they are available at Gun Shack.

As t scopes and target shooting, I learned the hard way. After buying and trying to use FFP scopes while trying to shoot fixed distance 1" X-Ring at 300 yards. At full magnification the reticle would cover the X-Ring. Also if shooting at small targets 1/8 click MOA works even better!

Banned

Basic Member
    I really appreciate everyone's input and feedback! There's a lot for me to get my head around (and learn). I also appreciate that everyone is good at spending other's people money. I'm also good at that!

A few details about the gun:
    It does have the 5R rifling, and is a 26" barrel. My brother ended up getting the same rifle in .308. That comes with a 20in barrel. I'm mostly sure that the 22-250 is a 1:8 twist rate, but I've emailed Savage for specs.

"extra" scopes I have:
    4.5-14x Burris MTac, 3-12x Nikon Monarch, 2.5-10x Nikon Monarch. 4-16x Vortex Diamondback. They're all decent enough. Might need more glass to go to 600... but these hold zero, and the Burris and Vortex have the ballistic turrets for adjustment. For anyone interested - I've gotten a couple scopes from Primary Arms. I've been real impressed - at least on hunting rigs, and the customer service has been awesome.

So for calibers - what I'm getting is that the 6mmBR is a great choice if I can reload, but for store bought options, 6.5 CM is probably the best choice.
    I don't have the skillset for reloading. I've got the diagnosed squirrel brain. Attention to detail is not my strength. My brother reloads though, and he's a pretty good engineer. We have a barter system that normally involves some mix of smoked meat, empty brass, and brown liquor, in exchange for reloaded ammo. I'll have to see if he's agreeable to another cartridge. We've already got a couple of 9.3x62 project guns going that he'll have to make all the ammo for.

Also, appreciate the feedback on barrel choices.

Basic Member
    I didn't even know 6mm BR was thing!

I'll definitely give Jim a call. After posting this, ran into someone at my range with a savage bench rest gun he had put together, and really liked his criterion barrel.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KMW1954 View Post
    From the little bit of research I was able to quickly do last night, I didn't find any reviews on the 22-250 model but it appears that rifle came with a heavy Varmint barrel with a 5R Rifling and the barrel length is either 24" or 26". Couldn't find what twist rate they used but if they actually did use a 5R Rifling then I would guess they also used a faster that 12 twist. Which will allow you to use 69gr or heavier bullets depending on the twist.

Now if BFlynn still insists on changing barrels I may be interested in relieving him of that old one!
    Those are both interesting ideas. I'll let you know, what I decide either way.

Basic Member
    BFlynn, as stated, I have been competing with a Savage in 223Rem for 2 seasons already and getting ready for a 3rd. We have 20 members in this league and I am the only one shooting a 22. Majority are shooting some form of 6mm, 1 30BR, 1 7mm08, I believe 3 308, a couple 6.5CM.. I shoot the 223 with a 69gr bullet and right now experimenting with a 60gr VMAX. I've been able to hold my own against the avg. shooters while there is a large gap between the top shooters.

I honestly feel the hold up for me has been the use of the wrong glass. What works for PRC shooting doesn't do well for what we are shooting. Personally I would not hesitate to shoot a 22-250 in this league. Which again my goal was to be shooting this Savage with a Shilen barrel chambered in 6ARC.. The ARC will compete with the 6mmBR Norma when run as a bolt rifle with the actual difference between the two when loaded with the same bullets and powder being a reduction in speed with the ARC of only about 50FPS.

So I do not know what the cost difference is between the 6ARC and the 6.5Creedmore in factory loads or even the factory 22-250.

Something else to think about. The 22-250 uses the same bolt head as the 6mmBR and I believe the same for the 6.5CM. The ARC uses the same bolt head as the 6.5Grendal.

Squirrel brain or not I'd go with a starter hand loading kit. Its the biggest accuracy gain you can make to any factory rifle in good working order. It's also not as hard as some might deduce from reading online, basic reloading's actually simple as.a matter of fact it's
    just basic mechanics. Youre just replacing components of a simple device composed of case, propellant, ignition, and fuel. Pull the lever and the case is deprimed and sized. Squeeze the handle the primer is replaced. Fill it with fuel (powder) and pull the lever to seat the bullet into place. Stay within the minimum and maximum charges in the manual and youre golden.
    Test fire with different charges within that window and select which one shoots best.
    A starter kit like the Lee can be had for under $150 whats that? The cost of 3 or 4 box's? Then another $35-40 for dies and a few bucks for consumables I still use one my wife bought me 30+ years ago though over time I've added items to my bench. It still turns out plenty of one ragged hole ammo tuned for my rifles.
    Jump on in the waters fine and you can make it as simple or complicated as you want to.

You can spend all the money building a custom rifle you want to, but unless youre lucky enough to find a load it likes, its not going to give top performance and often will shoot no better than a factory rig.
    With a kit you tune the load for your rifle and make top shelf stuff for barrel bottom money.
    Ill say again the biggest accuracy improvement for the least money available, and it will work with all your firearms. Ammo is the key to accuracy in a properly functioning firearm.
    Good luck BHJ
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast