Thread: New Barrel getting a Sand Blast & Cerakote.

Banned

New Barrel getting a Sand Blast & Cerakote.

Started sand blasting today but my body gave out & had to stop. So I’ll add pics as I go. It’s a Criterion. Stuck with my 260, but it’s an Ackley Improved & a Match chamber. (Longer Freebore). I did MTU profile, so not quite full Bull Barrel, but close being .930” @26”. Mine is 28” so it’s .920” at the muzzle. And I chose 1:7.5 twist. One thing… that Shiny Polished surface has to go! I could deal with it the Flat silver after sand blasting. But I like the flat-ish, satin black of Cerekote & I wanted to try out their new C-series which is Air Cure. No more mixing the hardened in exacting proportions or sitting for 2 hours with parts in my Curing Oven. And if doesn’t hold up even close, I can always go back to using the H-Series. Color I’m using is C-192, Armor Black. But will likely be next week as I think we have some rain moving in.

Here’s first look. This is one big barrel!

My 6x47 Bartlein barrel is the MTU contour and yes it's on the hefty side. Initial stock I'd put that barreled action in was setup for a factory Sendero contour barrel so I had to open the barrel channel up a good bit to accept the MTU. Imagine the same would have to be done with a Savage stock as the factory varmint barrels are around 0.800" at the 26" muzzle IIRC.

this reminds me, I really need to start thinking about a new barrel for my 22-250AI. Current one still shoots good, but last time I bore scoped it there was about 6-8" of heavy fire cracking. Barrel will be 20 years old this coming spring and I've put in close to 2,500 very hot rounds through it pushing 80gr bullets to just over 3400fps. She'll still put 5-shots into a 1/4" group at 200 yards though when the conditions are right and I do my part.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Banned
    Yessir.. I’m coming from a 26” Varmint contour as well. Shilen. It was .810” I think. I like the increase. Do believe the MTU will be preferred contour for any future barrels. It just seems the perfect size. Luckily I don’t have a worry for opening the barrel channel. I have a Mirage URL Chassis with tube handguard.

Banned
    Now this is much better. I hate shiny metal.