Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to load a savage so it doesn't jam?

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    It’s your call. I wasn’t trying to impugn, only further educate with caution. Of course I don’t know you or your background. I can only gauge by the questions individuals ask here.

Here is a video with detailed explanation & demonstration.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TUqHxlOOIQ
    Good Video.

Nice video Dave! Like that it showed him measuring it and not just wingin it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by want2ride View Post
    To me it sounds like you need to adjust the feed lips... but we need more or better info to really help.

https://www.brownells.com/tools-clea...-feed-liptool/
    I didn't understand what I was looking at, when I first looked at this. It has a lip to grab the lip. I thought it was just the box and not showing your the tool

Basic Member
    I just took the rifle apart this weekend. I think Ill try the vice grips, net week, they might be use for something else.

I have to admit my first time torqueing stock. I suspect most of us are way off, and to tight. I always tq the scope. Make sure to check for your rifle, these old ones, don't take much. New ones a lot more with aluminum bedding blocks.

In addition to this, I am not sure happy with the way I shoot this light rifle. Will get some nice grouping and then some bad shots. Unfortunately it appears it might like nosler better than interlocks, which are cheaper and easier to come by. When I have more time maybe I'll play with seating depth and speed of interlocks.

Interestinly I believe the partions are set deeper in their manual. Closer to the lands is generally thought to be better.

I would rather shoot hornady based on price and availability.

Banned
    No, most of us here have the Action screws torqued correctly. There are actually more than a few threads discussing torque specs and many who play with various torque settings in an attempt to tune the harmonics to the load being used.

Basic Member
    I don't think the average person torques action screws. I've taken apart a lot of rifles and actions, and never did. Poor reflection on me. I like tq wrenches. Do the scope.

These light rifles magnify errors, so trying to get everything right.

Basic Member
    Fished two rounds out with a screwdriver this weekend. I did buy a pair of the duct bill vice grips. But then it failed to fire again. Round ejected with no mark on primer. This is what got it retired last time. Last time I measured firing pin protrusion and disassembled bolt. It was good for around 100 rounds, which was probably what was on it last time. Guessing I bought it used, but I am not sure it was shot much.

Was factory corloct that failed this time. Last time it was corloct and WLR primers.

My thread from 9 years ago. Stuck with this gun. Can't sell it.
    https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...ailing-to-load
    Curious reason to have a 60 second timer on this forum to do a search. What does it hurt??????

I have always put mine away cocked. Never thought about it. From what I google it is debated, but most probably put away cocked.
    https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...r-strikes-help

I have had issues with vertical stringing with this rifle, which can be from heavy firing pin. Can always be lack of speed. I did add 1.5 grains, and that has not been an issue. Also a different bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    Fished two rounds out with a screwdriver this weekend. I did buy a pair of the duct bill vice grips. But then it failed to fire again. Round ejected with no mark on primer. This is what got it retired last time. Last time I measured firing pin protrusion and disassembled bolt. It was good for around 100 rounds, which was probably what was on it last time. Guessing I bought it used, but I am not sure it was shot much.

Was factory corloct that failed this time. Last time it was corloct and WLR primers.

My thread from 9 years ago. Stuck with this gun. Can't sell it.
    https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...ailing-to-load
    Curious reason to have a 60 second timer on this forum to do a search. What does it hurt??????

I have always put mine away cocked. Never thought about it. From what I google it is debated, but most probably put away cocked.
    https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...r-strikes-help

I have had issues with vertical stringing with this rifle, which can be from heavy firing pin. Can always be lack of speed. I did add 1.5 grains, and that has not been an issue. Also a different bullet.
    No firing pin mark indicates that the safety blade blocked the trigger from releasing the sear. This means that the firing pin cannot move forward. Adjust the trigger to a heavier pull weight/setting an it will function fine.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I did lighten it. But it worked for quite a few rounds, and worked after.

It also did this 6 years ago before I adjusted it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12