Thread: Just for my edification. What can cause a bolt to lock up?

Basic Member

Just for my edification. What can cause a bolt to lock up?

Was at the range yesterday shooting my .223 LRPV. On one round, after firing, the bolt handle simply would not lift and rotate, allowing the bolt to open. Frozen. After several tries, the bolt opened and the empty was normally extracted and ejected. It happened only once during the range session, and another 25 or so rounds fired, extracted and ejected normally. Could it have been some sort of pressure issue with a rogue round? Shooting factory loads. Thanks guys.

Banned
    Most likely yes, a single higher pressure round causing the case to stick. It happens.

Maybe, but you did say eventually the bolt opened and extracted the case normally. I’d think if it was so much pressure the bolt wouldn’t open, that it should also be a stiff bolt lift and extraction once you got it to lift?

Any marks on the brass? How’s primer look? Did that shot seem different than the other ones when it went off?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdog06 View Post
    Maybe, but you did say eventually the bolt opened and extracted the case normally. I’d think if it was so much pressure the bolt wouldn’t open, that it should also be a stiff bolt lift and extraction once you got it to lift?

Any marks on the brass? How’s primer look? Did that shot seem different than the other ones when it went off?
    Unfortunately, due in large measure no doubt to my inexperience with such things, I neglected to closely examine the brass and primer. I don`t recall any difference in the actual discharge of the round, but I guess it`s possible that there was and I just didn`t pay attention. Also, I was just greatly relieved that the bolt opened because I had visions of having to hit the handle with a rubber mallet or something. As for the bolt lift and such, I just recall that the bolt sort of " popped " open quickly and don`t remember any stiffness in the bolt lift. I did cycle some rounds before shooting again and all seemed normal. As stated, no further issues of any sort with the subsequent fired rounds.

if there was a primer blowout, it could have moved the extractor a bit and locked it until wiggling moved it back
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Banned
    Ok, look… I wasn’t gonna get into this on account the mere whisper of its name destroys entire villages! But I can tell you exactly what caused the problem. Now, I don’t want you to be alarmed, but it was COVID. COVID Bolt Liftimus, to be exact.

Yup! I see this being big, BIG stuff my friends. Possible site-wide outbreak of our Forum! (In LOW raspy-whispering voice.) “The Horror.., the Horror!”