Thread: LOP to long for Short guy

LOP to long for Short guy

Been a few, since my last post, but went shooting with a friend yesterday and he is having issues setting up on his 110 axis in 270. The LOP is too long and he is stretching his neck forward to see a clear scope picture. Is there a way to shorting the standard stock stock?

Any suggesting?

Basic Member
    Is it the standard plastic stock?

Does he have the room to set the scope a little further back in the rings for better eye relief or if the scope is on a picatinney rail, can it be moved a notch or two towards the rear?

Banned
    That would be my first inclination..Like lonestar said. Can the scope be moved back either by way of tube position in the rings, rings position on the rail or combination of both. Otherwise, sure LOP can be changed. Use a saw & hack off an inch, or two. Or whatever is needed. Dress it with file &/or sandpaper & reinstall the pad.

Basic Member
    If it is the basic Tupperware stock, then it may be an option to replace the stock. But I’d try and move the scope to the rear as I mentioned before.

If it is a laminate or wood stock, then it can be more easily cut down and a new recoil pad installed or an aftermarket stock obtained.

thanks all for replies. Yes it is a Tupperware stock. The scope can not move. Friend had purchased a rail for it (20 moa not knowing) which was for the wrong model as the holes did not line up, however if it did it wold have only added an additional slot, so maybe 1/4" closer. The scoop tube does not allow to be slid to the rear and further. Told him about the MDT Oryn chassis, but this is out of his price range. We discussed removing the but pad and replacing with a smaller one, but this does not seem to be a replaceable part, as we checked on an old Tupperware that I ave lying around when i moved my action over to an XLR element.

Banned
    Simply cut the stock to the desired length glue the pad back on. A bit of simple modification is required. If you want, remove the barreled action & send just the stock to me. I’d be happy to modify to the desired length & send it back, pro gratis.

By the Way…. Does he have the 110 APEX or a Savage Axis? There is no 110 Axis. If it is an Axis, this thread needs moved to the correct section.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Simply cut the stock to the desired length glue the pad back on. A bit of simple modification is required. If you want, remove the barreled action & send just the stock to me. I’d be happy to modify to the desired length & send it back, pro gratis.

By the Way…. Does he have the 110 APEX or a Savage Axis? There is no 110 Axis. If it is an Axis, this thread needs moved to the correct section.
    Your buddy should take him up on this gracious offer. If he has a rifle with an LOP that fits him, take that measurement as a reference for Dave. Do it - eliminate frustration.

Basic Member
    Replace it with a Youth model stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post

You know I am not sure. Oh and thanks for offer.

Banned
    Take a look at it & compare. And, no trouble. Offer stands.

Savage Axis:

Savage 110 Apex:

@DavidHoback would have to say an axis, going from memory of what I saw.

If the rifle has pad on it you can replace it with a plate, that will give you about a half inch or a bit more. If you cut it get a half inch rubber pad, that will give you a little more room for the pad screw , if you cut too much the pad screw will hit the sling swivel screw. Try and find a youth stock if you can as mentioned. All my rifles need to be shortened for me and I've done them all,. I even cut one and didn't have a pad or plate so just put a wood filler in it, works just fine.

I've done this to a savage 223 stock that was too long for me to shoot comfortably. First remove the recoil pad and trim the stock down to your desired LOP, (I used a miter saw) it worked well. Purchase a Limb saver slip on pad in size small, it should fit the savage stock quite good and slip it on. You might need to play with the LOP to get it to the desired length, go slow with the cuts on the stock as you go, measure twice cut once to get it right. The slip on pad will give you 1" extra LOP so add that into your measurements..