Thread: Savage Accustock action bedding

Savage Accustock action bedding

Trying to track down an accuracy issue on my Ridge Warrior and I noticed the aluminum block in the stock doesn’t contact the action evenly.

Was thinking of either shaving down some of the aluminum on the sides so it only contacts the action at the action screws and doesn’t touch the sides or doing a more classic approach of an epoxy bedding job.

thoughts? Recommendations? Since this is a accustock I figured a bunch of you guys have already figured out the best way to modify this stock.

https://imgur.io/a/oswEbTS

Banned
    I doubt it’s cause any accuracy concern. It’s how evenly the surfaces of the Action & Action bedding are in contact that matters. Since the bedding in the Accustock is the Aluminum block, it is actually the stock. The polymer around it is more a skin at this point. I know some will disagree. (Like my fan club). And that’s fine. I know there is contingent of those who pay more homage to harmonics than I do. So it’s fair. However, shaving the Aluminum would not even be on my radar! If you think it could make a difference, bed the low spots with Epoxy as you mentioned. Just don’t sacrifice Aluminum to make way for polymer.

BTW: Whart are the accuracy issues? Have you worked up loads?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    I doubt it’s cause any accuracy concern. It’s how evenly the surfaces of the Action & Action bedding are in contact that matters. Since the bedding in the Accustock is the Aluminum block, it is actually the stock. The polymer around it is more a skin at this point. I know some will disagree. (Like my fan club). And that’s fine. I know there is contingent of those who pay more homage to harmonics than I do. So it’s fair. However, shaving the Aluminum would not even be on my radar! If you think it could make a difference, bed the low spots with Epoxy as you mentioned. Just don’t sacrifice Aluminum to make way for polymer.

BTW: Whart are the accuracy issues? Have you worked up loads?

Thanks for your thoughts, my concern wasn’t about the distinction or lack there of between aluminum and plastic, more that the uneven loading could impart some inconsistent forces on the action.

Its a pretty new gun, but here is the basic story:
    -first trip to the range only shot a few rounds to get on paper and put a bit of heat into the barrel.
    -secound trip to the range shot a couple of 5 shot groups .5-.7MOA, worse group was .9MOA where I pulled the last shot.
    -cleaned it and went to the range a third time and shot like garbage 2-2.5MOA. Same exact box’s of ammo as the previous trip.
    -took home went though everything to try and find a loose fastner or something, nothing found.
    -4th range time and still shoots like trash.

All factory ammo, it’s the delta between the second and third trip to the range that’s driving me up a wall.

Banned
    Sounds like something loosened up. I’d first check all fasteners for proper torque. Action screws, scope base & ring screw torques. Even better, I’d pull it all & redo Action/rail/scope seating & screw torques myself! Next, how many rounds would say are through it? Sometimes they take a hundred or so to set old in. Also, you claimed same box of ammo. Have you shot different ammo? I’m guessing you’re not reloading?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Sounds like something loosened up. I’d first check all fasteners for proper torque. Action screws, scope base & ring screw torques. Even better, I’d pull it all & redo Action/rail/scope seating & screw torques myself! Next, how many rounds would say are through it? Sometimes they take a hundred or so to set old in. Also, you claimed same box of ammo. Have you shot different ammo? I’m guessing you’re not reloading?

Checked all the fastener tq’s now multiple times, and it sounds like great minds think alike, my next plan is to take everything apart and reassemble.

About 60 rounds though it. I tested 4 different brands of ammo on the second range trip, all grouped great. Those exact boxes were what I used on the third trip where it grouped worse than my muzzloader. Yeah, I don’t reload, just want to get it back to where it was!

I have a couple that need some barrel fouling to shoot their best. It could actually be the cleaning that sent it astray. I have one 30-06 in particular that took about 60 rounds without cleaning to get back where it was after I scrubbed the snot out of it with some " Remington 40X Bore Cleaner".
    I wont do that again.
    Now ill pull a bore snake through it once with a little Hoppes on the tail and push a lightly oiled mop through it after shooting and thats it.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Did you take the gun apart when you cleaned it? Like take the barreled action out of the stock? If not then your original question shouldn’t be the issue cause it was like that when it was shooting fine.

How many rounds did you fire after it’s been cleaned? Some savage barrels take quite a few rounds to settle down after a cleaning. I’ve had some rough looking factory barrels that needed 15 or so shots to settle in but then tightened right up. They copper fouled horribly but shot better dirty.

Lol.. I agree with BHJ!

Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    I have a couple that need some barrel fouling to shoot their best. It could actually be the cleaning that sent it astray. I have one 30-06 in particular that took about 60 rounds without cleaning to get back where it was after I scrubbed the snot out of it with some " Remington 40X Bore Cleaner".
    I wont do that again.
    Now I’ll pull a bore snake through it once with a little Hoppes on the tail and push a lightly oiled mop through it after shooting and thats it.
    Probably 20 or so, which one would hope is enough to foul the barrel, but yes, not going to clean it for a bit and see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by pdog06 View Post
    Did you take the gun apart when you cleaned it? Like take the barreled action out of the stock? If not then your original question shouldn’t be the issue cause it was like that when it was shooting fine.

How many rounds did you fire after it’s been cleaned? Some savage barrels take quite a few rounds to settle down after a cleaning. I’ve had some rough looking factory barrels that needed 15 or so shots to settle in but then tightened right up. They copper fouled horribly but shot better dirty.

I did take it out of the stock to clean. It’s cheekriser and stock pack is tall enough that if I am to clean it from the chamber end with a rod it needs to be out of the stock.

I do have a pull though set up for it I might start using more if stock assembly affects groups.
    Last edited by Sundodger; 10-08-2023 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Add quote