Thread: 44 mag accuracy with 180 gr bullets?

44 mag accuracy with 180 gr bullets?

I don't think I've ever found a load with 180 grain bullets that was super accurate, compared to various 240 grainers. I'm working with 44 mag and 445 Supermag in carbine length and I'm wondering if it's worth buying a few hundred 180 grain bullets. The 240 grain XTPs have been accurate for me in the past in various configurations but I like the idea of extra speed from the 180s for a flatter trajectory.

Any experiences with comparative accuracy?

Basic Member
    Mine always preferred the 240's as well.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by lonestardiver View Post
    Mine always preferred the 240's as well.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I tend to be in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp but that extra velocity is alluring. I have a good supply of bulk JHP and JFP 240 gr bullets that have shot pretty well in some barrels but XTPs have always been the best. I'll end up getting a couple of boxes of 240 XTPs one way or another but the 180s are still up in the air. :)

Basic Member
    i dont shoot a lot of pistols in .44, but have experimented a good bit with the .44 in various long guns, including a ruger 77/44, a 'tender carbine, an H&R handy rifle, and a Win 94.

i had mixed results with 180's, but found i could mnake 200gr XTP's shoot about as well as 240's. I also found that the usual H110/296, etc didnt show best results with the lighter bullets, and i had way better luck with AA9, Ramshot Enforcer, and Longshot...that was especially true when loads were at or near minimum starting levels.

Quote Originally Posted by FyrepowrX View Post
    i dont shoot a lot of pistols in .44, but have experimented a good bit with the .44 in various long guns, including a ruger 77/44, a 'tender carbine, an H&R handy rifle, and a Win 94.

i had mixed results with 180's, but found i could mnake 200gr XTP's shoot about as well as 240's. I also found that the usual H110/296, etc didnt show best results with the lighter bullets, and i had way better luck with AA9, Ramshot Enforcer, and Longshot...that was especially true when loads were at or near minimum starting levels.
    Now that I think about it. Most of the times I've tried 180s it's probably been with H110. That stuff just loves plenty of pressure to burn cleanly and consistently. Only non "non-magnum" powders I have are TiteGroup and HS6 those might prove to be useful with the lighter bullets.
    The 200s may be a good compromise, as well. I suspect that the stubby nature of the lighter bullets in that caliber might have a little to do with the accuracy so something slightly longer might be prone to holding true a little further down the range. They're the same price as the 180s and available at Midway right now.

Banned
    I’ve always found the 44 Magnum to have MOLP accuracy. That’s minute of Lucky Punk, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    I’ve always found the 44 Magnum to have MOLP accuracy. That’s minute of Lucky Punk, of course.
    I had a 14 barrel with a 4x Burris that would hold MOA at 100 yards with proper loads. Best group I ever shot with it was 3/4" in 3 shots with 300 grain XTPs...I quit while I was ahead on that one. :D :D :D

Basic Member
    Stopped in at the toy shop around the corner from my office yesterday; the owner waved me over & told me he'd soon have a new arrival that he had flagged for me...when Ruger brought back the Marlin .44mag leverguns, i mentioned to him if he ended up with one to call me.

Those have been in a bit of short supply due to demand, and some dsitributors have been allocating them to dealers that commit to larger blocks of inventory purchases...keeping prices high. He made me a very fair price on this one, several hundred bucks less than gunbroker prices, so with a little luck it'll be here in a few days...giving though to putting a peep on this one instead of glass.

I'll do some load workups & post some results.

Quote Originally Posted by FyrepowrX View Post
    Stopped in at the toy shop around the corner from my office yesterday; the owner waved me over & told me he'd soon have a new arrival that he had flagged for me...when Ruger brought back the Marlin .44mag leverguns, i mentioned to him if he ended up with one to call me.

Those have been in a bit of short supply due to demand, and some dsitributors have been allocating them to dealers that commit to larger blocks of inventory purchases...keeping prices high. He made me a very fair price on this one, several hundred bucks less than gunbroker prices, so with a little luck it'll be here in a few days...giving though to putting a peep on this one instead of glass.

I'll do some load workups & post some results.
    Sweet!!! :) I had a dandy Marlin lever for a while. I never got what I thought was great accuracy with it, though it certainly was capable of 50- and 100-yard groups that would make hunting no problem at all. I ended up trading my brother for a 45 LC Rossi Thunderbolt that I'd given or sold to him quite a few years back. Getting rid of that Marlin is what's lead me to get something chambered in 44 mag...I just can't really stand the idea of having no 44 mag options, I guess. :)
    After recent acquisitions, I've got a load-testing/break-in project in the works with Contender carbine. More on that in the next couple weeks, I hope. :)

I've shot more 180 gr bullets in 44 Special than 44 mag. I like Hornady 240 gr XTP for magnum loads and 240 gr copper plated flat point Berry's Bullets for special loads. I've tried coated 180 gr Missouri Bullets in 44 special, but didn't really like the results.

Basic Member
    180's can be faster and have less recoil but the twist isn't there for them. A 44 is a 100 yard round so the initial extra speed is negliable. Less penetration when the yardage is misjudged except for paper targets where 99% of the bullets go anyway.