Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bolt face

Quote Originally Posted by ArtinNC View Post
    Not true !! close the bolt on a empty chamber holding the trigger back so it is NOT cocked and you will have a little end play . A uncocked firing pin has a little end play. I dought that if I removed my barrel and remover a couple thousands from the barrel it would make any difference in the way that it shoots .
    To prove me wrong you mark the bolthead, you close the bolt while pulling the trigger and thrusting the bolt forward. I concede. You got me.

I somehow missed that closing the bolt on an empty chamber while pulling the trigger demonstrated your problem. Close the bolt like you would normally and there is no end play.

I don't find the of closing the bolt while holding down the trigger to be used in troubleshooting any known issue that I am aware of. If there is "end play" between the bolt head and the breech in the uncocked position, there is no reason to machine your barrel.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    (( I don't find the of closing the bolt while holding down the trigger to be used in troubleshooting any known issue that I am aware of. If there is "end play" between the bolt head and the breech in the uncocked position, there is no reason to machine your barrel.))

I just seen some marks on the bolt head and could not understand what was making them . And now I know that it is not from firing the gun , it is from closing the bolt on a empty chamber . Like I said
    a uncocked firing pin has a little end play. Even my custom actions have a little end play when the firing pin is not cocked .

((
    To prove me wrong you mark the bolthead, you close the bolt while pulling the trigger and thrusting the bolt forward. I concede. You got me.))

That is not what I'm talking about . A uncocked firing pin , the boit has a little end play and made some rub marks on the front of my bolt is what I have found out .

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtinNC View Post
    I just seen some marks on the bolt head and could not understand what was making them . And now I know that it is not from firing the gun , it is from closing the bolt on a empty chamber . Like I said a uncocked firing pin has a little end play. Even my custom actions have a little end play when the firing pin is not cocked .

((
    To prove me wrong you mark the bolthead, you close the bolt while pulling the trigger and thrusting the bolt forward. I concede. You got me.))

That is not what I'm talking about . A uncocked firing pin , the boit has a little end play and made some rub marks on the front of my bolt is what I have found out .

Art, I agree with you, several others get your point… even our resident Savage Super-Guru agreed with you in post #11. But some will never agree, even when you present concrete evidence. I recommend just letting it lie because the argument of “getting the last word in”, will never end. Be above it. You know what’s happening. And like I said, even though it’s fine as is, if you wish to pull the barrel & take a couple thous. off the breech for piece of mind, go for it. You can’t hurt it. This is, after all, why the Savage Barrel Nut System is so desirable. Replacing & head spacing the barrel takes but minutes!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12