Thread: I need some help....Shilen barrel, handloads

Team Savage

I need some help....Shilen barrel, handloads

I finally put this rifle back together after my move to WY.
    This is the Shilen barrel in .260 Rem. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100365308?pid=482505
    I just verified again with my Go/No go gauges that it is headspaced correctly.
    I have several boxes of "blem" 140 gr bullets that I want to load. I loaded up a ladder and set them to the OAL called out in the book (2.78, I think).
    I checked my lands distance with the Hornady tool, and I'm actually into the lands with that OAL.
    Am I doing something wrong? Are some 140 gr bullets just not going to work with this barrel? I haven't shot this set up in so many years I don't remember what I was doing before. I thought that I was loading Sierra matchking 140 or 142 grain bullets in the past.

I'm going to assume you checked the chamber depth via case protrusion at some point in the past and it checked out as good.

https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...h-Verification

From there I would make up a dummy round with that bullet and keep bumping the seating depth back until it's no longer jamming into the lands and then measure it to the ogive to see where it's at.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    I finally put this rifle back together after my move to WY.
    This is the Shilen barrel in .260 Rem. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100365308?pid=482505
    I just verified again with my Go/No go gauges that it is headspaced correctly.
    I have several boxes of "blem" 140 gr bullets that I want to load. I loaded up a ladder and set them to the OAL called out in the book (2.78, I think).
    I checked my lands distance with the Hornady tool, and I'm actually into the lands with that OAL.
    Am I doing something wrong? Are some 140 gr bullets just not going to work with this barrel? I haven't shot this set up in so many years I don't remember what I was doing before. I thought that I was loading Sierra matchking 140 or 142 grain bullets in the past.
    I dont believe your doing anything wrong. I recently purchased a shilen 6.5X55 SE barrel and had the same issue, a very short throat. The only cure is to have the barrel throat depth increased.

Banned
    Had the same problem with my Shilen. When I first got it years ago, I loaded my first rounds to 2.800” COAL, with 140gr Nosler Custom Comp bullets. And found I was in the lands. I ultimately found I was touching the lands at like 2.680” or some ridiculous short value, with the Custom Comps. I tried some Berger 140gr VLD and they were in the low 2.700” COAL. Same with 140g SMK’s & 139gr Scenar. Ultimately I rented a PTG 6.5mm Uni-Throat Reamer from 4D Reamer Rentals. https://4drentals.com/product/6-5mm-precision-throater/

I found some mixed reviews. Some didn’t seem to have the issue, but many did. It seemed to be a .260 Rem barrel issue for the most part. I guess Shilen thought everyone doing 260 Rem was buying the off shelf crap which all seems to be loaded well below 2.800”. Don’t know exactly… never bought any off the shelf 260. Just my reloads. But I have a Criterion coming from Jim at NSS, due any day now. It’s still 260, but the Ackley Improved with Match Chamber. So not going to have that problem again.

Basic Member
    Jim’s answer is the most correct. Approach it as He has suggested and THERE IS NO PROBLEM. We can all use the good old average SAMMI ammo, or load appropriately TO THE BARREL WE GOT. A short throat can have advantages to those who shoot a lot, because a throat can grow .010” to .015” per year, IME.

Team Savage
    Shilen wanted 3 dummy rounds when I ordered my barrel, which should be here by Valentine's day

Banned
    A short throat is detrimental to a 260Rem. Unless you just want to use low BC bullets at low velocities. Most of the 6.5CM fans seem to be in favor of this because when the 260 is allowed to stretch out to 2.900”+, with the High BC bullets, it comes alive.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Had the same problem with my Shilen. When I first got it years ago, I loaded my first rounds to 2.800” COAL, with 140gr Nosler Custom Comp bullets. And found I was in the lands. I ultimately found I was touching the lands at like 2.680” or some ridiculous short value, with the Custom Comps. I tried some Berger 140gr VLD and they were in the low 2.700” COAL. Same with 140g SMK’s & 139gr Scenar. Ultimately I rented a PTG 6.5mm Uni-Throat Reamer from 4D Reamer Rentals. https://4drentals.com/product/6-5mm-precision-throater/

I found some mixed reviews. Some didn’t seem to have the issue, but many did. It seemed to be a .260 Rem barrel issue for the most part. I guess Shilen thought everyone doing 260 Rem was buying the off shelf crap which all seems to be loaded well below 2.800”. Don’t know exactly… never bought any off the shelf 260. Just my reloads. But I have a Criterion coming from Jim at NSS, due any day now. It’s still 260, but the Ackley Improved with Match Chamber. So not going to have that problem again.
    Interesting. How difficult is it to get that reamer to do its thing?

Banned
    Interesting. How difficult is it to get that reamer to do its thing?

Just go to the link I posted. It’s very easy to deal with 4D rentals. They charge the fee on your Credit/Debit card & you get several days to use it. All the info is on their site. Although, I wouldn’t recommend doing it unless you understand it completely. Using it wasn't my first RODEO, if you’re baggin’ what I’m rakin’.

The difference is in the reamer used, you should have specified which freebore you needed or which bullet you intended on using.
    there’s nothing wrong with being in the lands of it shoots well, as long as you use enough bullet hold/ neck tension to cycle a round without leaving the bullet behind.
    I jam rounds all the time.
    added; if you don’t like the barrel just send it back to Shilen and tell them to fix it.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by South Prairie jim View Post
    The difference is in the reamer used, you should have specified which freebore you needed or which bullet you intended on using.
    there’s nothing wrong with being in the lands of it shoots well, as long as you use enough bullet hold/ neck tension to cycle a round without leaving the bullet behind.
    I jam rounds all the time.
    added; if you don’t like the barrel just send it back to Shilen and tell them to fix it.
    I bought this so long ago, they would probably tell me to pound sand. I also didn't know enough about reloading back then to know what to ask for.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Team Savage
    So, if I rent this reamer, what amount of free bore should I be going for? I'll probably only shoot 140's, and prefer to not buy VLD's if I don't need to.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Banned
    Not a question I can answer. Only you can know what Freebore you want. Remember COAL changes based on the bullet. So you must decide what COAL you want with what bullet. I’ll be honest, it’s probably not something you should try at this time. Don’t think you want to learn this on the fly. On your new Shilen barrel, no less. Any mistake & there’s no going back. Might want to check with Shilen, as was recommended.

Basic Member
    Couldn't you just seat them a little deeper? The thing I don't like about Savage rifles is their extremely long throat. Not a problem when new but after several hundred rounds they get longer and after enough shooting it gets to the point it affects the accuracy. I know you can't fill the case quite as full to get absolute peak velocity but hot loads are harder on a barrel too. I usually load mid range or below from the book.

Team Savage
    I talked to Shilen and the tech said there isn't enough variation to published OAL to worry about. I guess I'll shoot this ladder and see how it goes.

Banned
    I talked to Shilen and the tech said there isn't enough variation to published OAL to worry about. I guess I'll shoot this ladder and see how it goes.
    WOW! That’s a fantastic line for them to shirk responsibility & not to do anything, LOL!

I refuse to deal with any prefits that won’t supply the reamer information before I purchase, or any gunsmith that won’t won’t share the reamer spec. NSS has criterion prefit barrels and will send you the reamer specs in advance.
    the one in question can also be re chambered.