Thread: SSK 50 trigger.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

SSK 50 trigger.

Got my ssk50 frame about a week ago. I haven’t done anything with it yet OTHER than mess with the trigger.
    My cousin has a lyman digital gauge.
    It had a decent trigger out of the box @ just under 3lbs.

I adjusted the external screws and got it somewhere between 1lb and 1 1/2lb pull. Not too bad!….and easily done.

Good to hear. I need to pick up mine and get it set up.

Team Savage
    Is the trigger on the SSK the same design as the Encore?

Quote Originally Posted by bsekf View Post
    Is the trigger on the SSK the same design as the Encore?
    I'm pretty sure it's a direct copy of the original EZ-Open Contender. Much better than the Encore, IMO. :)

Nothing like encore. Copy of original contender.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KYODE View Post

Got my ssk50 frame about a week ago. I haven’t done anything with it yet OTHER than mess with the trigger.
    My cousin has a lyman digital gauge.
    It had a decent trigger out of the box @ just under 3lbs.

I adjusted the external screws and got it somewhere between 1lb and 1 1/2lb pull. Not too bad!….and easily done.

Can you describe the details of your adjustment process? I installed the Bic lighter spring in mine and got it to 2 lbs. If I can get there with just the screws alone, that would be a plus for the next frame. Also, did you smooth any internal parts? There used to be a Specialty Pistols pdf (still have it on my computer) on smoothing internal surfaces and installing a bic spring or removing a coil from the factory spring. Wondered if you ever tried that tutorial. I'm remembering you from the old days on the other site. Thanks for posting... Norm

Ive used the bic lighter spring on older actions that would not adjust enough to satisfy me. That way you can save your original spring and not cut it up lol.

overtravel screw(in trigger guard behind trigger) ….. screw it in until it will not activate the trigger. Then back it out until it just does, then add a bit to insure repeatability.

sear adjustment screw(top of trigger shoe)……turn screw in as if tightening. Turn until it sets the hammer off or will not cock. Back out enough to have SAFE sear engagement AND satisfy your lb pull you like.

easier done than explained lol.
    im no gunsmith nor do i pretend to be. I just do what works for me.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KYODE View Post
    Ive used the bic lighter spring on older actions that would not adjust enough to satisfy me. That way you can save your original spring and not cut it up lol.

overtravel screw(in trigger guard behind trigger) ….. screw it in until it will not activate the trigger. Then back it out until it just does, then add a bit to insure repeatability.

sear adjustment screw(top of trigger shoe)……turn screw in as if tightening. Turn until it sets the hammer off or will not cock. Back out enough to have SAFE sear engagement AND satisfy your lb pull you like.

easier done than explained lol.
    im no gunsmith nor do i pretend to be. I just do what works for me.
    Thanks. That's just what I was looking for!

The two screws have nothing to do with pull wieght, the screw in the trigger is trigger take up adjustment, and the screw in the trigger guard is the over travel adjustment.

You need to hone the trigger parts, and address the trigger engagement spring to lighten the wieght of pull. The adjusting screws you refer to cannot affect wieght.

Lol. You didn’t read what i typed I assume?

it mysteriously went from 3lb to 1lb.

i have half a dozen(rough guess) contenders ive adjusted to suit myself over the yrs. Ive never honed any yet. Sear engagement screw or using a bic lighter spring for the trigger return spring( lforget what its called) has satisfied me every time.