Thread: Titanium Recoil Lug

Banned

Titanium Recoil Lug

I truly love this stuff. One more thing that can be done with a few tools & a little know how. I finished machining the 6AL4V Titanium Recoil Lug. It came out superb. I’m hoping I can run the current full thickness, but need the new Criterion barrel I’m waiting for to decide.

Started with a Sheet of Gr.5 Ti. That’s 6AL4V. One of my favorite materials.

Rough machining done, and hole drilled for locater. I did a little different with the locater pin. I threaded the hole first. By the way, anyone who has threaded small taps like 3mm (M3-.5), knows the patience needed. Well, Titanium adds a whole new level of play to the equation. The thickness is .300”. This took me over an hour just to thread the one hole! It takes a patience on a level beyond!

This is my 2x72 belt I designed & built also. It’s been in several of my pictures. I truly love this thing. It has a 2hp motor and is a workhorse! I was trying to show the blaze of bright white sparks that comes from grinding Titanium. But it’s only a worn 250grit belt on it & trying to take the picture with one hand is well, difficult. LOL! But there is a glimmer of white light sparks that is visible.

Reason for threading. I’m using an Titanium M3 cap head screw as a locater. I had to turn down the head of the screw slightly & shorten both the head & threads.

Finished, polished & edges chamfered. It’s still long, but I’ll address that once it’s getting installed. My Chassis will allow the full profile as it sits.

Compared to the one I was using. This is a PTG lug I’ve been using for many years now. Titanium Lug .300” vs .250” of the PTG. Also, I left it a full side profile vs the “non-parallel” cut of the PTG.

Nice work, is this a "just because I can" project, or will there be any benefits of a titanium lug??

Basic Member
    Awesome! If you are making a beta version of an accustock recoil lug, I would be a paying guinea pig.

Banned
    For the most part it’s just because. I mean, one could argue that Titanium parts control harmonics better, due to its natural damping performance on vibration. And of course weight, if I was going for that.(which I’m not.) No, I just have always had a strong fascination & appreciation for Titanium. Metallurgy has been a hobby of mine for many years. So naturally, I’ve studied Titanium & it’s Alloys a great deal. It’s properties are absolutely fascinating, and working with it is incredibly difficult. So every project using it, every successfully machined small part gives a DIY’er machinist like myself, a sense of overcoming. Taming the Beast, so to speak. Also, it’s just really cool stuff. And making small pieces/parts & such, is very enjoyable for me.

Basic Member
    Fine work, David.