Thread: J. Stevens Crack Shot-26

J. Stevens Crack Shot-26

Just got the rifle and have done some research. I was told it was probably manufactured in 1915 but my info says that this model has the info stamped on the top tang, problem is that my rifle doesn't have either a top or bottom tang. The stock is retained by a bolt running through and you have to remove the butt plate to access the nut. Also the info says with regards to extractors that the 1915 uses an ejector type extractor and pops the case out BUT the 1894 uses a center type extractor located on the bottom of the barrel.

My supposed 1915 has the bottom of the barrel extractor similar to the 1894. After numerous hours Googling haven't seen anyone taking off the stock with my configuration as the all have tangs. I would like some disassembly information before I tackle taking it apart. with the action closed the lever doesn't lock tight against the receiver with about 7/16" up and down movement. I would suspect that the pin attaching the lever to the breech block might be worn and need replacing to tighten things up. Has anyone had this experience?

Would have liked to attach photos but only option is to import from a URL no access to computer photo files.

Basic Member
    It sounds like you are looking at information on the Favorite's, which are swinging block actions. There is a modern version of that action called the Crack Shot but it has nothing to do with the older ones and the use of the name again causes some confusion. Here is a video of a Steven's No 26 Crack Shot that says it's a version of a Favorite - which it is not - the two not all the similar as he says; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtJsXiYusiM The No 26 is a much simpler and weaker action than the Favorites.

A better place to ask about older single shot Savage & Stevens would be RimFireCentral in the Savage/Stevens forum.