Thread: Suggestions on how to smooth out a 110 an action

Suggestions on how to smooth out a 110 an action

Looking for suggestions on how to smooth out a 110 action. I've tried Syn. gun oil an HbN [not together] The difference becomes notifiable if I take one my my 110's and a Tikka Tac 1.

Thank you

Banned
    It will never feel like the Tikka. If smoothness is your bag, stick with the Tikka.

That said, the same rules apply to Savage as any other firearm. Look inside of the Action Raceway & sand/polish any burrs, rough sections smooth/polished. Same with the entire Bolt. Better to run them dry, no lubricant. Grit/dirt/fouling will be attracted & stick inside. Can get them to be decent. But no matter what is done, it will never feel smooth like the Tikka. Wrong place to compare. Compare them in accuracy. Because no amount of Tikka smooovness, will ever make a rifle more accurate, LOL! Nice to rack the bolt? Sure. Tighter groups? Nada.

Now my model 10 I’ve worked over to be pretty durn smooth. And it has a fantastic light Bolt Lift. But it certainly isn’t going to take the Pepsi challenge against Tikka in the smooth bolt operation department anytime soon! It does, however, possess other things I would compare. Like a fantastic trigger I prepped myself and set exactly how I want it. Not to mention, it can’t ever possibly have an accidental discharge. It feels better than any Tikka trigger I’ve ever come across. Another thing is my Savage is accurate…, much more accurate than I am. Now I don’t have have quite the accuracy as a few here, but I’m no slouch. And I’d put it up against any Tikka & not feel bad accuracy wise. Finally, comparing my Model to a Tikka TAC 1 in the looks department… I’ll take my Savage any day. It’s just a beautiful piece of hardware. Not that anyone need agree on that, mind you. I didn’t build it for anyone else. I built it for me.

But she makes me smile whenever I look at ‘er.

So those are categories I think about against really any other rifle. But to each his own.

100% agree with what Dave said.

Literally tens [if not hundreds] of thousands of Savage owners have voiced their complaints about Savage's rough, sloppy, and/or stiff bolt operation on this very site over the past 20+ years, and I'm sure Savage has received a similar number of complaints from owners via email, social media, etc. over those years as well. Yet even with all that feedback from their customers, Savage continues to ignore the issue and I think that's a big part of why each year we see more and more [former] Savage loyalists transitioning to something other than a Savage - be it a Bergara, a Howa, a Tikka, a custom action, or whatever.

The days of Savage being able to rely on their reputation of "out of the box accuracy" to generate sales has past as most every brand of bolt-action rifle made today is capable of delivering sub-MOA accuracy when fed quality ammo. The other brands have upped their games and eliminated (and in some cases surpassed) the accuracy and quality gap between themselves and Savage.

Savage also can't claim "more bang for your buck" anymore either as over the last decade or so they have raised their prices year-over-year to the point that in many cases they're more expensive than similar models from their competition. For example, a Tikka used to be several hundred dollars more expensive than a comparable Savage, but today the price gap is minimal so spending that little bit more to get a smoother functioning action that's just as accurate isn't that big of a leap for most buyers.

Here are some examples from doing a quick search on GunBroker - all base synthetic stocked hunting rifle models with blued or matte black finish.

Tikka T3x Lite 6.5 CM = $750-800
    Savage 110 Hunter 6.5 CM = $650-700
    Bergara Ridge 6.5 CM = $775-825
    CZ 600 Alpha 6.5 CM = $550-600
    Howa M1500 Hogue 6.5 CM = $525-560

I also think some of Savage's competitors have done a much better job integrating aftermarket upgrades (stocks, triggers, barrels, etc) when it comes to their more specialized higher end models which makes them much more attractive to potential buyers. Savage appears to have a pretty wide selection of offerings, but as you look closer you'll notice it's not as diverse as it first appears. Savage (IMO) relies too heavily on Boyds laminate stocks and MDT's aluminum chassis' for their upper tier rifles. Why no McMillan or Manners stocks? Why no carbon fiber stocks? Other brands are utilizing them, so why not Savage? Savage used to offer factory rifles fitted with both McMillan and HS Precision stocks, but now they insist on putting everything in a Boyds laminate or MDT aluminum chassis. News flash: Not everyone likes or wants an aluminum chassis or a heavy laminate stock.

Howa has gained a huge following in the hunting rifle market with their wide selection of M1500 models featuring quality stocks from known makers (Hogue, HS Precision, etc) as well as carbon fiber stocks that make for a truly light-weight hunting rifle. The Savage 110 Lightweight Hunter and Lightweight Storm models just don't compare in terms of feel or weight.

CZ and Bergara have both gained a lot of ground in the rimfire market the past few years with their rifles geared specifically towards NRL22 and PRS-style rimfire competition. CZ's 457 Varmint Precision Trainer comes fitted with a Manner's composite stock while the Bergara B-14 HMR Trainer is fitted with a fully adjustable tactical style stock of their own design that's more than adequate for the aforementioned games. What's Savage's answer? They dropped a A-Series or B-Series barreled action into an ugly MDT Chassis, dubbed it "Precision" and called it a day.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my Savage's, but I haven't been real impressed with anything Savage has done in the last 10-11 years or so - basically since Ron Coburn retired and sold it to ATK/Vista. Savage used to be a leader in innovation (AccuTrigger, AccuStock, first to chamber factory rifles in 6mm BR Norma and 6.5-284 Norma, etc.), now they have become more of a "Me too" company as they keep copying what everyone else is doing in already over saturated markets (i.e. MSR's, poly framed pistols, and now 1911's). The only bright spot in the last 10 years in my eyes has been the advent of the AccuFit system.

Ok, I got off on a little rant there. I'll get off my soap box now.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    100% agree with what Dave said.

Literally tens [if not hundreds] of thousands of Savage owners have voiced their complaints about Savage's rough, sloppy, and/or stiff bolt operation on this very site over the past 20+ years, and I'm sure Savage has received a similar number of complaints from owners via email, social media, etc. over those years as well. Yet even with all that feedback from their customers, Savage continues to ignore the issue and I think that's a big part of why each year we see more and more [former] Savage loyalists transitioning to something other than a Savage - be it a Bergara, a Howa, a Tikka, a custom action, or whatever.

The days of Savage being able to rely on their reputation of "out of the box accuracy" to generate sales has past as most every brand of bolt-action rifle made today is capable of delivering sub-MOA accuracy when fed quality ammo. The other brands have upped their games and eliminated (and in some cases surpassed) the accuracy and quality gap between themselves and Savage.

Savage also can't claim "more bang for your buck" anymore either as over the last decade or so they have raised their prices year-over-year to the point that in many cases they're more expensive than similar models from their competition. For example, a Tikka used to be several hundred dollars more expensive than a comparable Savage, but today the price gap is minimal so spending that little bit more to get a smoother functioning action that's just as accurate isn't that big of a leap for most buyers.

Here are some examples from doing a quick search on GunBroker - all base synthetic stocked hunting rifle models with blued or matte black finish.

Tikka T3x Lite 6.5 CM = $750-800
    Savage 110 Hunter 6.5 CM = $650-700
    Bergara Ridge 6.5 CM = $775-825
    CZ 600 Alpha 6.5 CM = $550-600
    Howa M1500 Hogue 6.5 CM = $525-560

I also think some of Savage's competitors have done a much better job integrating aftermarket upgrades (stocks, triggers, barrels, etc) when it comes to their more specialized higher end models which makes them much more attractive to potential buyers. Savage appears to have a pretty wide selection of offerings, but as you look closer you'll notice it's not as diverse as it first appears. Savage (IMO) relies too heavily on Boyds laminate stocks and MDT's aluminum chassis' for their upper tier rifles. Why no McMillan or Manners stocks? Why no carbon fiber stocks? Other brands are utilizing them, so why not Savage? Savage used to offer factory rifles fitted with both McMillan and HS Precision stocks, but now they insist on putting everything in a Boyds laminate or MDT aluminum chassis. News flash: Not everyone likes or wants an aluminum chassis or a heavy laminate stock.

Howa has gained a huge following in the hunting rifle market with their wide selection of M1500 models featuring quality stocks from known makers (Hogue, HS Precision, etc) as well as carbon fiber stocks that make for a truly light-weight hunting rifle. The Savage 110 Lightweight Hunter and Lightweight Storm models just don't compare in terms of feel or weight.

CZ and Bergara have both gained a lot of ground in the rimfire market the past few years with their rifles geared specifically towards NRL22 and PRS-style rimfire competition. CZ's 457 Varmint Precision Trainer comes fitted with a Manner's composite stock while the Bergara B-14 HMR Trainer is fitted with a fully adjustable tactical style stock of their own design that's more than adequate for the aforementioned games. What's Savage's answer? They dropped a A-Series or B-Series barreled action into an ugly MDT Chassis, dubbed it "Precision" and called it a day.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my Savage's, but I haven't been real impressed with anything Savage has done in the last 10-11 years or so - basically since Ron Coburn retired and sold it to ATK/Vista. Savage used to be a leader in innovation (AccuTrigger, AccuStock, first to chamber factory rifles in 6mm BR Norma and 6.5-284 Norma, etc.), now they have become more of a "Me too" company as they keep copying what everyone else is doing in already over saturated markets (i.e. MSR's, poly framed pistols, and now 1911's). The only bright sport in the last 10 years in my eyes has been the advent of the AccuFit system.

Ok, I got off on a little rant there. I'll get off my soap box now.
    Boy, do I wish I could disagree with what`s said here. Just can`t do it. One can only conclude that Savage and/or ATK/Vista is totally tone deaf to its customers and the public. Or, if they do hear, just don`t give a damn. A company, any company, does that at its peril.

Quote Originally Posted by Turkeytider View Post
    Boy, do I wish I could disagree with what`s said here. Just can`t do it. One can only conclude that Savage and/or ATK/Vista is totally tone deaf to its customers and the public. Or, if they do hear, just don`t give a damn. A company, any company, does that at its peril.
    I was really hoping that when Vista sold Savage a few years back and they went back to being privately held again that things would change for the better, but that didn't happen - not yet at least.

Many, many years ago I was flat out told by Brian Herrick (VP of Sales at the time) that as long as they are still selling as many guns as they can make there's no reason to "fix" any supposed "issues." That was the mentality at Savage at the time, and it seems that's still the mentality to this day.

In recent years Savage has been bragging about double digit increases in sales, but that's only half the story. Everyone is selling more guns these days as the market has gotten much bigger, so an increase in sales is expected. What I want to know is how their market share percentage has changed in various categories over the last 8-10 years. For example, for all of the bolt-action rimfire rifles sold in the U.S. this past year, what percentage of them were Savage's and what percentage of them were say CZ or Bergara or whomever? I think that's the more important and telling statistic to know right now, and I have a feeling that in Savage's case it may likely have gone down in recent years in several categories for various reasons.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I was really hoping that when Vista sold Savage a few years back and they went back to being privately held again that things would change for the better, but that didn't happen - not yet at least.

Many, many years ago I was flat out told by Brian Herrick (VP of Sales at the time) that as long as they are still selling as many guns as they can make there's no reason to "fix" any supposed "issues." That was the mentality at Savage at the time, and it seems that's still the mentality to this day.

In recent years Savage has been bragging about double digit increases in sales, but that's only half the story. Everyone is selling more guns these days as the market has gotten much bigger, so an increase in sales is expected. What I want to know is how their market share percentage has changed in various categories over the last 8-10 years. For example, for all of the bolt-action rimfire rifles sold in the U.S. this past year, what percentage of them were Savage's and what percentage of them were say CZ or Bergara or whomever? I think that's the more important and telling statistic to know right now, and I have a feeling that in Savage's case it may likely have gone down in recent years in several categories for various reasons.
    JMHO, but if the CURRENT attitude at Savage is as you were told by the VP of Sales years ago, somebody needs to be fired. Problem is, that sort of thing usually starts at the very top. It`s a prescription for failure.

Thank you all, Dave your bolt is on the wrong side for me and that is pat of my "situation" as the scopes on my two 110's have lighted retrical controls on their left side , this combined with a left handed ** "tactical " bolt handle is a PITA, but since I shoot slow it is worked around.

** Dopes anyone offer extra long bolt handles ?

Banned
    My bolt is on the wrong side? It’s on the right. And we’ll, I only HAVE the Right arm/hand anyway… Left arm is paralyzed, LOL! You’re wanting Left Handed? If you want Left hand Bolt, why are you saying it’s a PITA?

Yes, there are a couple extra long styles. The Lumley Titanium is my favorite & the one I use. I’ve also used Glade’s Armory bolt handle. Both are longer than stock. There are also really long, slender Bolt Knobs as well. Glades makes a Knob that is 2” long!

https://lumleyarms.us/parts-by-make-...ndle-left-hand

https://gladesarmory.com/product/tac...lack-anodized/

Without polishing or other minor mods, the one thing that has made cycling the bolt easier when pushing a round into the battery is to push the bolt handle towards the center-line of the action as you push the bolt forward.

Sanding and polishing .005' to .010" off the OD of the old style firing pin spring helps, don't overdo it. Start at five. Polish it smooth on the OD and the edges of the ends. Polish the part of the lug raceway that the cocking piece pin rides on. Use a quality diamond hone if you can.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    If you want Left hand Bolt, why are you saying it’s a PITA?
    Because of the lighted reticle control he says is on the left side of the scope which would indeed make working a LH bolt difficult.

I've got a Gen 1 PST with the reticle control that sits at the 10 o-clock position, no issue for me with RH bolt but would be a PITA with a LH action.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    Because of the lighted reticle control he says is on the left side of the scope which would indeed make working a LH bolt difficult.

I've got a Gen 1 PST with the reticle control that sits at the 10 o-clock position, no issue for me with RH bolt but would be a PITA with a LH action.
    But he said my bolt was on the wrong side. Mine is a RH Action with RH bolt. So if one side is wrong and the other side is a PITA, don’t know what to tell ‘em.

So his right arm is on the left side?

Team Savage

Do I need to post a picture of a Gen 1 PST to illustrate the issue for a left handed person shooting a left handed action?

Banned
    Well, Nuns in Catholic schools tried fixing you Left handers by wrapping knuckles everytime a pencil was picked up with a Left hand. But people just didn’t seem to get with the program. Me on the other, I actually enjoy watching you Lefties write! It is commical.

What's worse than those illumination knobs on the ocular housing for a left are scopes with fixed factory quick throw levers. They're clocked perfectly on the magnification dial so as to never interfere with the bolt handle on a RH gun, but for a lefty there's a range of magnification on the dial where it will physically block the bolt. Ran into this issue on a couple Leupold's and a couple Bushnell Elite Tactical's in recent years.

What's worse than those illumination knobs on the ocular housing for a left are scopes with fixed factory quick throw levers. They're clocked perfectly on the magnification dial so as to never interfere with the bolt handle on a RH gun, but for a lefty there's a range of magnification on the dial where it will physically block the bolt. Ran into this issue on a couple Leupold's and a couple Bushnell Elite Tactical's in recent years.
    Yeah, and that's why I've resigned myself to not being able to use the throw levers on any scope on my 110 Tactical LH.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    But he said my bolt was on the wrong side. Mine is a RH Action with RH bolt. So if one side is wrong and the other side is a PITA, don’t know what to tell ‘em.
    I think he was making the joke that ALL of us lefties get when we post a pic of our left-handed rifles from you righties.

"You're wrong-handed my friend", or "your bolt is on the wrong side"

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter0302 View Post
    Thank you all, Dave your bolt is on the wrong side for me and that is pat of my "situation" as the scopes on my two 110's have lighted retrical controls on their left side , this combined with a left handed ** "tactical " bolt handle is a PITA, but since I shoot slow it is worked around.

** Dopes anyone offer extra long bolt handles ?
    I have the 110 Tactical in left hand, which has the longer bolt knob. I run an Arken SH4 6-24 with an illuminated reticle. I don't have a problem with the bolt handle hitting the left knob with the parallax and illumination control. How far back are you running your scope?